Kansas State Game Advice

WildfireClone

Aug 15, 2016
Hey folks. Last year about this time I reached out here for advice and you all helped me give my 11 year old boy his favorite birthday present ever. So here I am again leaning on you.

Last year I took him to he and I’s first ever away game at Kansas. It was an awesome experience. This year I want to take him to the Kansas State game.

Can you give me an idea on what to expect? Reasonably friendly atmosphere? Should I buy tix through their website? Suggestions on where to stay or sites to absolutely see?

Thank you all!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They will stick visitors in the corner (thinking SE corner if field runs north and south) get seats as close as possible. Had several jackwagons around us and we sat at the top of the section. There is decent tailgating spots to hang out and eat in so that is positive.

WildfireClone

Aug 15, 2016
They will stick visitors in the corner (thinking SE corner if field runs north and south) get seats as close as possible. Had several jackwagons around us and we sat at the top of the section. There is decent tailgating spots to hang out and eat in so that is positive.

I guess that’s kind of the advice I am looking for. Sit in or close to the visitors section or buy single game tix direct from the KSU website. There are a lot of tickets available through them. And at the KI game it didn’t matter as clone fans outnumbered KU fans.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Following. I also did KU last year (first away game) and will be doing K-State this year.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
View attachment 65660

Totally not interference.

I'll reiterate that ISU had several chances to win despite the blown calls but JHC that was crazy.

You have to remember, the head ref who picked up the flag was 10 yards behind the offense and watching for holding, etc. He never saw the pass interference at all and was in no position to see it. That's why we know that he simply didn't want ISU to win. Just a horrible bias for one day from one ref. Should never happen but it did. Unbelievable unless you saw it.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Just buy on stubhub a day or two before. KSU will likely suck next year and their attendance will struggle at the end of November. Was there 2 years ago.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: surly and NWICY

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Stop by So Long Saloon in Aggieville for a Nancy (Old Milwaukee w/ pineapple juice). They also have great food, but it gets packed on game days.

Coco Bolos is also in Aggieville and gets busy. Little Apple Brewery is okay.

Varsity Donuts is the only must stop in Manhattan.

There is ample parking at the stadium and there will be a tailgate scene, just nothing like Ames. People will be surprisingly douchey and/or grouchy.

I live 1.5 hours away and have only gone to the football game a couple times, it's that forgettable. We go every year for basketball and have relatives there, so we know the town pretty well if you need any more info.

• Informative
Reactions: MrPeske

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You have to remember, the head ref who picked up the flag was 10 yards behind the offense and watching for holding, etc. He never saw the pass interference at all and was in no position to see it. That's why we know that he simply didn't want ISU to win. Just a horrible bias for one day from one ref. Should never happen but it did. Unbelievable unless you saw it.

Yep, I remember the refs conferencing about it for a long while, and then just simply picking up the flag.

The convo should have gone something like:
Head ref: 'You two had a better view. Was it interference?'
Other guys: 'Yep'.
Result: pass interference stands.

Man I was pissed.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Season tickets are around 40,000 sold presently with capacity at 50,000. ISU always has guest tickets available. I'd sit in that section. https://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/kansas_state_university/football/#/p;128__p_17_3/

How you're treated is most often a reflection of how you act at an away venue. K-State and its fans pride themselves on being hospitable to visitors. Although I met some arrogant ISU jackwagon Millenials last go around in MHK, supposedly associated with this site by the way. Whatever, ISU should dominate this game. Much better talent. So, I'd think fans wearing purple will not be an issue anyway.

Best restaurants includes Harry's for upscale dining. https://www.harrysmanhattan.com/accolades.html
Best breakfast is at The Chef.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...2-Reviews-The_Chef_Cafe-Manhattan_Kansas.html
Best bar food is So Long Salon
http://solongsaloon.com/

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
We go to this game every time it's in Manhattan (wife is KSU alum). I've found the fans to be, for the most part, very friendly and complimentary. The talk from KSU fans after 2017 was almost apologetic and they also knew that we got screwed.

I'd look for the best tickets you can find. As mentioned, the away fan section seats aren't great. Tailgating in the lots adjacent to the stadium is pretty good but in the satellite lots, much less so.

I like Tallgrass Brewing better than Little Apple. So Long Saloon and Keltic Star are good food choices. As far as sites to see, there's not much. I like the old stone buildings on campus but it's nothing as beautiful as ISU.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Yep, I remember the refs conferencing about it for a long while, and then just simply picking up the flag.

The convo should have gone something like:
Head ref: 'You two had a better view. Was it interference?'
Other guys: 'Yep'.
Result: pass interference stands.

Man I was pissed.

As the refs ended their conference, you could read the lips of the ref who saw the interference as he pointed at Reggie (the head ref) and said, "It's your call." I knew right then we were getting hosed.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Went in 2004. As I recall you had to drink beer from cups rather than cans/bottles while tailgating. Fans were nice before and after (especially after the loss), but during not so much. Better to sit with ISU fans.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Went in 2004. As I recall you had to drink beer from cups rather than cans/bottles while tailgating. Fans were nice before and after (especially after the loss), but during not so much. Better to sit with ISU fans.

That was my experience, anytime we would high five and give a little cheer for ISU, we got yelled at by their fans. When they did well they taunted us while we sat there. It was me, not a millennial, and my three kids ages 10-16 at the time, and when the KSU fans would yell at my kids I told my kids to just not say anything and sit there. So surly is not correct. Before and outside the stadium they were fine and cordial, inside the ones we were around were closing in on hawk level douchey.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Went to KU game last year, and plan on going to Manhattan this year. I figure most of their students will be gone for break and the Cyclones will be in the hunt for the title game. I'd expect a large crowd of cardinal and gold to show up.

• Agree
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I do the K State road trip almost every time we're down there. I've always had good experiences in Manhattan for both bball and football. You'll get a lot of "welcome to K State" from their fans. Parking/tailgating is pretty easy, they'll be a lot of Cyclone fans in attendance I'm sure, we parked northwest of the stadium in a lot and were surrounded by ISU fans who were generous with their food and drinks. Outside of the stadium the atmosphere reminds me a little of JTS a couple decades ago, some centralized tailgating but pretty scattered and spread out. In the stadium, its a pretty fun atmosphere, I'm a pretty vocal fan and any grief I was given was in jest ( I don't mind playing a friendly heel if the opposing fans are good sports) so it was a lot of fun. In all my trips to K State, the only bad thing that has happened is we usually lose. This year should be different!

I'll throw in another vote for So Long.

• Winner
Reactions: surly

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just got my ticket in the mail today.

Thanks for the advice about things, @surly.

Your kitty friends better be nice to me in my gold hoodie in Manhattan.

:)

upload_2019-8-13_19-23-49.png