FB Season Tix Update from Pollard

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
When I was a student we'd buy our season tickets (outside the bookstore) when we showed up for fall semester to buy books. Don't know if that's still how student season tickets are sold or not, but I'd guess a bunch of those sales will still be happening as students aren't back on campus yet.

Student tickets are already sold out. They do it electronically now.

My daughter had to win a "lottery" to even get the chance to buy football student season tickets this year. Heady stuff.

Reminds me of the Hilton Magic days when I attended and the students also had to win a lottery to buy MBB tickets. Seats changed for each game.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I went quickly through the virtual site and counted about 50 season tickets left in upper corners for $225.

There are about 430 season tickets left in the $325 and $499 price range. So it definitely appears JP has held some season tickets aside to get to the 45,000 mark instead of letting Iowa single game seats get bought, or anymore mobile passes.

https://am.ticketmaster.com/isu/buy

I was under the impression that single game tickets for the Iowa game were never going to to go on sale to the general public.

isumet

Feb 25, 2019
When I was a student we'd buy our season tickets (outside the bookstore) when we showed up for fall semester to buy books. Don't know if that's still how student season tickets are sold or not, but I'd guess a bunch of those sales will still be happening as students aren't back on campus yet.

Student tickets have been sold out for a while now.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Student tickets are already sold out. They do it electronically now.

My daughter had to win a "lottery" to even get the chance to buy football student season tickets this year. Heady stuff.

Reminds me of the Hilton Magic days when I attended and the students also had to win a lottery to buy MBB tickets. Seats changed for each game.

One thing ive wondered when people have talked about future expansion of the stadium (for instance if we bowled in the north end at some point), is if we should be adding capacity to our student section. The university is a good deal larger than when it was set at the current level, so it might be time to match in kind, especially as demand increases with a better team.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Where would the SRO tickets go? They specifically cut the hillsides to only the kids tickets. SRO tickets require standing room and I don’t think there is anywhere for them.

As it should be tbh

The old hillside tickets were useless for certain games if you didn’t get there early enough.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Where were they before the SEZ expansion. I believe they expected some to stand in the concourse behind the stands and I believe they expected the hills to overfill to standing, for max capacity. But I think before the expansion it was the same the hills were just expected to over pack. I remember a couple games when they were really packed into the hills.
Just curious how we used to be able to do this and not now, not that I expect It to be a huge increase.
My understanding is back then they were the hillside tickets but they didn’t really set a limit. Now they in an effort to make it family friendly have limited those to kids.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
As it should be tbh

The old hillside tickets were useless for certain games if you didn’t get there early enough.
The triple overtime win against Iowa in 2011 was a perfect example of that. They kept chasing us out from standing behind the seats on the sides. During the overtimes I couldn't see anything. I just had to go by the considerable crowd noise and try to get a peek at the north video board

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I was under the impression that single game tickets for the Iowa game were never going to to go on sale to the general public.

Agreed. Not what I meant. Iowa tickets will never make general public sale. But NCC donors probably would have bought up more Iowa single game tickets if JP made them available. But I agree with his approach to hold back some season ticket sale opportunities.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017
One thing ive wondered when people have talked about future expansion of the stadium (for instance if we bowled in the north end at some point), is if we should be adding capacity to our student section. The university is a good deal larger than when it was set at the current level, so it might be time to match in kind, especially as demand increases with a better team.

I thought that the Student all-sports ticket (whatever its called) was sold out, but that student football only tickets were still available? If all student tickets are sold out, that is a problem in my opinion and the university should set aside more seating for them. As an alumni, I love going back to games when I can. But I cherish my time at ISU and a huge part of that experience was tailgating and going to games, even though we were horrible back then. I feel like any student who is willing to pay for a student ticket should be able to have that experience. This is their time to make awesome memories.

Plus, from a selfish perspective, the students add so much to the atmosphere inside of JT. More can only be better.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Plus, from a selfish perspective, the students add so much to the atmosphere inside of JT. More can only be better.
I agree that the students add to the atmosphere, but a student "football only" ticket costs $150, but the seats the athletic department really wants to sell are the $500 and up donor seats with hopes of several hundred if not several thousand dollars in donations to the department.

There has to be balance, and I think there currently is.

And my daughter missed out on the student ticket because (gasp!) she does not really care about football. She does eat my food at my tailgates, though. Takes after her mother.

isumet

Feb 25, 2019
I thought that the Student all-sports ticket (whatever its called) was sold out, but that student football only tickets were still available? If all student tickets are sold out, that is a problem in my opinion and the university should set aside more seating for them. As an alumni, I love going back to games when I can. But I cherish my time at ISU and a huge part of that experience was tailgating and going to games, even though we were horrible back then. I feel like any student who is willing to pay for a student ticket should be able to have that experience. This is their time to make awesome memories.

All student tickets are completely gone. They sold out by August 7th. I can't remember when they sold out last fall, but I had bought them in late August with no issues.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

I don't disagree, but if JP can sell out the student section with All Sport passes, that is more $$ than allowing FB Only student sales.

It is just great that we have good football, basketball (MBB and WBB), and improving wrestling all at the same time. Hope the students support all of it (incl VB) and realize what a special time this is.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree that the students add to the atmosphere, but a student "football only" ticket costs $150, but the seats the athletic department really wants to sell are the $500 and up donor seats with hopes of several hundred if not several thousand dollars in donations to the department.

There has to be balance, and I think there currently is.

And my daughter missed out on the student ticket because (gasp!) she does not really care about football. She does eat my food at my tailgates, though. Takes after her mother.

Really i think the department needs to sell a variety of price points. Obviously those 500+ tickets generate more now but the cheap seats are what build your fanbase and generate those fans who will be paying for those expensive seats in 20+ years.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Really i think the department needs to sell a variety of price points. Obviously those 500+ tickets generate more now but the cheap seats are what build your fanbase and generate those fans who will be paying for those expensive seats in 20+ years.
I agree, and there are cheaper seats like the mobile pass and non-donor season tickets. A tight supply may add more value. I just hope the team continues to do well so the demand continues to be there.

Reactions: NWICY

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Has anyone ever explained why we dont exceed capacity for major games like we used to? Back before the South End Zone expansion our record attendance was always higher than our actual capacity, because they sold standing room tickets, and filled every possible square inch. Now they only sell 61,500, the official capacity, with no extra standing room etc. tickets. like in years past or like other stadiums do when they exceed their official capacity.

Because the listed capacity now includes SRO/hillsides, whereas 15 years ago it didn't. There was no major construction that took JTS from 46K+ to 55K. It's just that SRO/hillsides were finally included in the official number.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know how the ticket sales in the student section compares to the number of seats? For instance: 5,000 seats and 5,000 tickets? Or do they oversell the number of tickets like an airline?

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Does anyone know how the ticket sales in the student section compares to the number of seats? For instance: 5,000 seats and 5,000 tickets? Or do they oversell the number of tickets like an airline?
There have to be more students than seats, from how tight it all looks to me.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
A little off topic, but I was Googling student season ticket sales and ran across this little tidbit. All can say is wow!

https://www.tribdem.com/sports/penn...cle_4b158320-949a-11e9-a3f6-a748c7e629d7.html

The Penn State student section was filled with more than 21,000 tickets sold this week, highlighted by the sold-out allotments of the junior (17 minutes), sophomore (15) and freshmen (14) classes. The Penn State student section has consistently sold out for four decades, showing the passion and dedication of Penn State students year-in and year-out.

Another article that I read said that these times are slower than most years due to a new ticket purchasing system. They are also the 4th most expensive student tickets in the country.

4. Penn State ($34.14 per game)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron