Having Twins - General Advice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
We were always asked if they were conceived naturally, if twins ran in our family, or assisted methods. We were always polite but never understood why people wanted to know. I always thought that would be like me asking parents of a single kid if the pregnancy was via doggie or missionary.
Don't know how many times I've been asked that already, and we're just 5 months into this. We did use a fertility doctor but twins also run in my wife's family so I usually just say that to avoid any further awkwardness.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I have teenage twins. I can say the most important thing when they are little is the schedule. Get them on a very routine schedule, don't change it for anything.

We slept them in the same room until they were about 2, and then moved them.

Lastly, enjoy it, it is stressful, but it goes by in a blur, and one day you wake up and they are driving.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Are Diaper Genies still a thing? I would think one would be a must if you have twins in disposable diapers.
It's called a trash can with a lid.
I never understood why people buy these tall skinny trashcans that only fit the specific bags made for it. If its smell. Get a trashcan with a lid.

• Disagree
Reactions: Three4Cy

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
A few thoughts:
  1. Feel blessed--you are!
  2. Twins often come early so be ready
  3. You will actually have less to worry about...you won't have to worry about free time, disposable income...:)
  4. Remember it isn't long from the time they ask where they came from until the time they won't tell you where they are going so enjoy it while you can! (My "baby girl" starts her freshmen year at ISU this month.)
  5. Get her the minivan, then you can always say, "It is my wife's car."
  6. She's multiple months prego already, so remember your primary job is to remind her, at minimum every 5 minutes, that she is the most beautiful thing in the world...even if she calls you an f'in liar.
  7. It may not seem as romantically spontaneous, but I suggest planning a date night. Helps if family can take turns babysitting as that can be expensive.
  8. Be prepared to be hit on when you go to the grocery store more than you ever did when you were single. A puppy works a bit that way, a baby even more so, so I can't imagine what will happen if you have twins. (If I had known that when I was single, I would have borrowed my nieces and nephews!)
  9. Pick only books that won't scar you mentally when you commit them to memory after reading them a kazillion times!
  10. Just know that they will never forgive you for any clothes less photos you take of them when they are little, even the cute ones of them bathing in the sink.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpcyclone2013

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
We were always asked if they were conceived naturally, if twins ran in our family, or assisted methods. We were always polite but never understood why people wanted to know. I always thought that would be like me asking parents of a single kid if the pregnancy was via doggie or missionary.

Don't know how many times I've been asked that already, and we're just 5 months into this. We did use a fertility doctor but twins also run in my wife's family so I usually just say that to avoid any further awkwardness.

Ha ha yep, 7 years later and get asked about every time the kids being twins is brought up. We tell them it was one kid until we went on roller coasters at 7 weeks and next appt there was 2.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I never understood why people buy these tall skinny trashcans that only fit the specific bags made for it. If its smell. Get a trashcan with a lid.
That's great but that smell is building up in there and is released as soon as you open the lid to put the second diaper in there. I suppose you could take the trash out after every diaper.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Don't even get me started. Somebody gave us one of the expensive ones for our son. My wife got mad that it stunk, so she threw it out one day (hello, it's got poop in it, that's the reason for it). When we had our daughter, of course, we had to get another ******* one.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
That's great but that smell is building up in there and is released as soon as you open the lid to put the second diaper in there. I suppose you could take the trash out after every diaper.
Your about to change a **** filled diaper. It's going to be stinky.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, it was rough. Intolerant to milk and soy protein.... those first 3 months probably took a few years of my life for sure lol.

The twins in my family had colic and literally didn’t sleep through the night until they were 2. .

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and State43

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Your about to change a **** filled diaper. It's going to be stinky.
It's a good thing all of that stink from the garbage can goes right back into the can as soon as you are done changing diapers. It would be a shame if it hung around and stunk up the nursery.

And by the way, not all diapers are **** filled. Many are just wet. But that can still let's off a smoldering **** smell every time you open it.

Great, you don't see the point. But I have had kids both with and without one and I can tell you they do a lot in the odor war.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So you've got a GORM 3 and a GORM 4 in your driveway. You got one that says IAMGORM?

Gorm = 99 Dodge Intrepid, my college car and first car I ever owned. Rusted out at 230K :(
Gorm 2 = 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee, sold to my dad.

I had too many good memories with my first GORM car to just put the plate onto another one. :)

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I was reading recently that they are close to figuring out what causes pregnancy.

• Funny
Reactions: State43

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Haven’t had twins but think it would be fun to do so.

Not much else to contribute otherwise because mine are older.

Whoops, one thing, when people tell you that once you get through daycare, diapers and formula that things get cheaper........they are kinda lying to you. They get cheaper for a couple years and then the major costs start back up.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It's a good thing all of that stink from the garbage can goes right back into the can as soon as you are done changing diapers. It would be a shame if it hung around and stunk up the nursery.

And by the way, not all diapers are **** filled. Many are just wet. But that can still let's off a smoldering **** smell every time you open it.

Great, you don't see the point. But I have had kids both with and without one and I can tell you they do a lot in the odor war.

we have the expensive Ubbi and at least so far, it's been worth it. Definitely keeps the smell contained. Though I also got a bunch of trash bags through Amazon bucks for free so that has made it more comparable to others that need special bags.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ohh and support your wife if she is trying to breastfeed, it will save you thousands!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Make sure you get a paterntiy test ASAP
giphy.gif