On That Note: By The Time We Got (Back) To Woodstock

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
For the Santana fans, a nice, sometimes funny interview of his recollections of Woodstock. I didn't realize they hadn't even released an album when they went to Woodstock .
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/arts/music/santana-woodstock.html?searchResultPosition=1

Santana: "What we brought was basically African rhythms and melody. After Woodstock, every band all of a sudden started getting congas. Miles had congas. The Rolling Stones had congas. Because they saw that mixing congas with guitars is a win-win situation — especially with women!"

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
For those of us who are old enough to remember this event when it happened, this has been a remarkable return to some halcyon times. Thanks @cyclones500!

Not every performance was a gem, but after seeing and hearing a lot of these songs again, I'm a bit surprised how well they have held up well over the years. This was the golden age of rock and roll.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not every performance was a gem, but after seeing and hearing a lot of these songs again, I'm a bit surprised how well it has held up well over the years. This was the golden age of rock and roll.

Pretty sure the actual set up was pretty bad/unorganized including the sound system etc. so in some ways it's kind of remarkeable they got the cuts they did.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Pretty sure the actual set up was pretty bad/unorganized including the sound system etc. so in some ways it's kind of remarkeable they got the cuts they did.
And I was thinking: with a crowd that size, small chance you might be close to the stage--and no monitors.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I like the Jefferson Airplane clips (and others) in part because the band members are all standing close together and jamming---just like my early remembrances of local rock bands on stage.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Country Joe and the Fish: Feel Like I'm Fixin to Die Rag. Someone already posted the video, and @ImJustKCClone commented on the song.
I'll never forget the Woodstock "fish cheer" - "Gimme an F".."Gimme a (you can guess the rest)"

Canned Heat - Woodstock Boogie

Canned Heat - Let's Work Together

The Who - Magic Bus
Don't think they played this at Woodstock, but my favorite Who song is Magic Bus

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Run Through the Jungle
As I understand, this wasn't about the Vietnam War, but about violence in the big cities in the 1960's/early1970-'s

Joe Cocker - Feeling Allright

Last edited:
Reactions: matclone