*OFFICIAL 2019 GREEN BAY PACKERS THREAD*

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Last night's game was mostly good....players who made marks included Ty Summers, Darrius Shepherd, and Ka'Dar Hollman. I thought Kizer and Boyle both played OK, Kizer is just too inconsistent from one play to the next.

J'Mon Moore missed his chance to solidify a roster spot....seems like he juggles or drops everything thrown his way.

Will be good next week to see Za'Darius Smith and Rashan Gary lining up together (hopefully). Word from camp is both of them are wreaking havoc on the offense. Maybe we will have a defense we can actually depend on for a change.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
IMHO, Green Bay is consistently the best team that deserves to be bad if not for their elite quarterback play mixed with an interesting blend of overachievement and a dash of luck. It's uncanny.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
IMHO, Green Bay is consistently the best team that deserves to be bad if not for their elite quarterback play mixed with an interesting blend of overachievement and a dash of luck. It's uncanny.

That is why teams key on the position so much --

A great one, or even a very good one, can make up for just about anything.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Rodgers has to perform well this year or his past criticisms of the play calling will get a little stale.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

A good GM builds their team around the talent they have. With an elite QB, a team was developed around him. The new GM Gutenkunst has rapidly changed the roster in the last year to undo what our old GM Ted Thompson was doing at the end of his tunure.

I'd pretty strongly disagree with you on deserving to be bad. Most of Rodgers tenure. He's had elite WR's and a really good OL (generally). Defense hasn't been good since about 2011 though.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
A good GM builds their team around the talent they have. With an elite QB, a team was developed around him. The new GM Gutenkunst has rapidly changed the roster in the last year to undo what our old GM Ted Thompson was doing at the end of his tunure.

I'd pretty strongly disagree with you on deserving to be bad. Most of Rodgers tenure. He's had elite WR's and a really good OL (generally). Defense hasn't been good since about 2011 though.
Yeah that's fair. It was a pretty off the cuff take knee jerk impression kind of thing I'm certainly no expert on the situation. I know they are a well run organization no doubt. I'll back off on saying deserves to be bad. Even more impressive in that it's not exactly a free agent destination.

I think it's kind of a star power thing. I will say that their elite wide receiver play from the outside looking in is not exactly littered with household names if your not a packer fan. Back to back hall of fame quarterbacks will overshadow any roster but that's just how it seems from the outside looking in and not putting a huge amount of thought or research into the packers roster. Bottom line is they usually win and that's kind of the thought process for my not very thought out comment.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Gutey continues to tinker with the roster as camp moves forward. I like that. This is the sort of thing Belichick does, and stumbles across diamonds in the rough in the process.

I'd say Vitale, T. Brown, Shepherd, Kumerow, and Greene have greatly strengthened their roster shots.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Gutey continues to tinker with the roster as camp moves forward. I like that. This is the sort of thing Belichick does, and stumbles across diamonds in the rough in the process.

I'd say Vitale, T. Brown, Shepherd, Kumerow, and Greene have greatly strengthened their roster shots.

I'd agree wit Vitale, Tony Brown will make it. I don't believe shepherd will. Kumerow will. Greene is def on the roster as the 3rd saftey.

i'm interested to see if Cole Madison can make the roster. I'd say practice squad player at the moment.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'd agree wit Vitale, Tony Brown will make it. I don't believe shepherd will. Kumerow will. Greene is def on the roster as the 3rd saftey.

i'm interested to see if Cole Madison can make the roster. I'd say practice squad player at the moment.

Nice that Madison at least gets a shot, hopefully it won't be a wasted draft pick. Thompson was overall a good GM, but Gutey isn't afraid to pull the plug on guys he doesn't think are cutting it. Ted fell in love with his picks and kept some of them far too long.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Nice that Madison at least gets a shot, hopefully it won't be a wasted draft pick. Thompson was overall a good GM, but Gutey isn't afraid to pull the plug on guys he doesn't think are cutting it. Ted fell in love with his picks and kept some of them far too long.

Yea it's crazy how in Gute's 1st year we lost over 1/2 the roster from Ted's team. Only thing i'm worried with Gute is he tends to get players who score very well on the Relative athletic score. Seems like he places too much weight on that. But time will tell. Rashan Gary is a freak athlete. Hopefully it works out.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Last night's game was mostly good....players who made marks included Ty Summers, Darrius Shepherd, and Ka'Dar Hollman. I thought Kizer and Boyle both played OK, Kizer is just too inconsistent from one play to the next.

J'Mon Moore missed his chance to solidify a roster spot....seems like he juggles or drops everything thrown his way.

Will be good next week to see Za'Darius Smith and Rashan Gary lining up together (hopefully). Word from camp is both of them are wreaking havoc on the offense. Maybe we will have a defense we can actually depend on for a change.
The most apostrophised team in the NFL.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Last night Kumerow and Shepherd really helped their causes, as did Curtis Bolton. I'd go so far as to say that if Oren Burks isn't available Sept. 5, Bolton would start in his place.

I think Shepherd has an edge over Lazard because of his return abilities, Pack doesn't really have anyone set to return kicks or punts.

Game was really sloppy.....poor tackling (again!), penalties, dropped passes, etc. I'd bet that practices this week will be a *****.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Pretty tough making that kind of a prediction when 80-90% of the snaps in preseason have gone to players who won't be around by the end of the week. Plus it's a passing league now... and if Kevin King can stay healthy, I like the secondary.

Will be interesting to see how Boyle and Kizer perform tomorrow night. I have a hunch there's only going to be room on the roster for one of them.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So Darrius Shepherd maybe fumbled himself onto the practice squad, although with Lazard's concussion issue it may be moot. Ty Summers was once again a hero. Markus Jones really stood out, he's at least PS material if he doesn't make the final 53. Natrell Jamerson had an awful night - he looked like he couldn't cover Jonathan Winters.

As for Kizer and Boyle, I really couldn't pick.....Kizer's upside is higher, I think, and he offers an option Boyle just doesn't have with his running ability. But Boyle looks a little more poised in the pocket, at least to me. Maybe they will both make it.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
So Darrius Shepherd maybe fumbled himself onto the practice squad, although with Lazard's concussion issue it may be moot. Ty Summers was once again a hero. Markus Jones really stood out, he's at least PS material if he doesn't make the final 53. Natrell Jamerson had an awful night - he looked like he couldn't cover Jonathan Winters.

As for Kizer and Boyle, I really couldn't pick.....Kizer's upside is higher, I think, and he offers an option Boyle just doesn't have with his running ability. But Boyle looks a little more poised in the pocket, at least to me. Maybe they will both make it.

I'd go Boyle over Kizer. I know Kizer was a 2nd rd pick but he is pretty terrible and doesn't look like he has what it takes.

Hopefully Lazard has a chance. I'd lean towards practice squad right now from watching all the preseason games.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Packers are +3 for Thursday night, which means the bettors basically view the game as a push. No doubt Mack, Hicks, et al. will be coming out with their hair on fire.....if the offense can get through a series or two without any disasters, I think they'll be fine.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
So the Lafleur era begins with a sloppy mess of a game that might have set professional football back a few dozen years. But it's nice to think that the Packer defense is able to carry the offense for a change.

I'd bet Rodgers and the offense will get better.....and if Pettine's men can deliver this kind of performance consistently, this team could be pretty good.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY