MLB: ***Official 2019 St. Louis Cardinals Season Thread***

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Jack Flaherty sniffs at Kendrick's performance the night before, and says, I can do one better.

Half the old lineup (Carpenter, Ozuna, Bader) was down in Memphis tonight, while the current squad was pounding the ball, and swiping the bases. I'm really liking our defense, and our base running.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I think the lack of movement at the deadline was 100% a reaction to the Luke Voit trade last year. They were too scared of giving away another young kid who would blow up.

If this is the case, then it really is time to move on. Mistakes are going to happen in trades, and no team will ever get it 100% right. Teams have analytics departments, etc to help, but if you have a GM/President that has become gun shy due to a previous mistake, then he/she can no longer do their job adequately.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Jack Flaherty sniffs at Kendrick's performance the night before, and says, I can do one better.

Half the old lineup (Carpenter, Ozuna, Bader) was down in Memphis tonight, while the current squad was pounding the ball, and swiping the bases. I'm really liking our defense, and our base running.

I really hope the Cards can keep rolling and win the Central. I think they can win the division with this lineup, but the playoffs will expose the horrendous decision to sit pat at the deadline. As the sports media in STL harped on constantly yesterday - the Cards do not have enough pitchers to fill the innings, and the Wacha/Ponce #5 slot is a huge weakness. I'm not sure Hudson is overly reliable / ready for postseason pitching either. Winning the Central will be nice, but Mo and Girsch have pounded the table since December that they were 'all in for 2019'. They repeated this at the all star break with 'If the team can give us a reason to buy before the deadline, we WILL BUY'. Team went 13-5 after the break, and the Front Office did nothing. They lied to the team and fans.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not nearly as worked up about not making moves, a SP would have been really nice but the guys we need to move, aren't going to bring anything in and until this team consistently hits, it won't matter who is pitching. Not making a deal at the deadline wasn't their big mistake, extending Carp was much worse. The situation at 3rd base is going to end up like what we've seen with Fowler in OF, young talent will have to sit behind old money.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Hey Mo and Girsch - how's that 'Wacha will do well as the fifth starter for the remainder of 2019' thing working out for ya?

Unbelievable.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hey Mo and Girsch - how's that 'Wacha will do well as the fifth starter for the remainder of 2019' thing working out for ya?

Unbelievable.

Yeah, he's a dumpster fire. And has no business on a major league team. I'm sorry, he's a great guy who had great upside, but the last 3 years have shown what he is...a 4-5 starter AT BEST that get's hurt all the time and can't seem to get his mechanics down.

I can't think of a player with a bigger slide than Wacha. When he came on the scene in 2013 he was unhittable. Now he can't get anyone out.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Unbelievable.

I would take Wacha on the team if it meant Mo and Girsch were shown the door.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I would take Wacha on the team if it meant Mo and Girsch were shown the door.

I think they get one more year. We changed coaches, brought in a big time player, yet the results are the same. There’s only a few variables left that they haven’t changed. Front office is chief among them.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I think they get one more year. We changed coaches, brought in a big time player, yet the results are the same. There’s only a few variables left that they haven’t changed. Front office is chief among them.

They shouldn't but they will. Apparently the only one with brains to his talent to Houston. How's that working out?

Reactions: throwittoblythe

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Zack Wheeler has now pitched 2 gems since the trade deadline - going 7 with no earned runs last Friday and going 8 with no earned runs last night. Meanwhile.....Bader continues to struggle and produce nothing for the Cardinals - sitting in AAA batting .200. Great job Mo and Girsch

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Zack Wheeler has now pitched 2 gems since the trade deadline - going 7 with no earned runs last Friday and going 8 with no earned runs last night. Meanwhile.....Bader continues to struggle and produce nothing for the Cardinals - sitting in AAA batting .200. Great job Mo and Girsch

I think your avatar says it all on this one...

Reactions: CyCrazy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Its all about the money, and its been that way for awhile. When DeWitt bought the team, he paid $110 million, for the team, stadium and the two parking garages east and west of the stadium. He then sold off the garages for 40 million. Today, the Cardinals are worth 2.1 BILLION dollars in a modern stadium with ball park village beside it. A new TV deal that will bring in another BILLION. The Cards are printing money down there, and we still scrimp on the budget. Keeping our powder dry, for the moment when we pounce.
No trades at the deadline, keep throwing Fowler and Carp out there, and we are on a 5 game losing streak. We need a major shakeup, not the Memphis express, DFA someone, like Fowler.
Do something, or the Cubs are going to run away with the division and we will end up 3rd again.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Back in the tie for first and 25/44 remaining games are against teams >.500. 13 of those game against the Cubbies and Milwaukee (remember them?, haven't seen them since late April). Sounds like O'neil will be cleared any day, we've got Yadi and Ozuna back, it's all right in front of us.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Back in the tie for first and 25/44 remaining games are against teams >.500. 13 of those game against the Cubbies and Milwaukee (remember them?, haven't seen them since late April). Sounds like O'neil will be cleared any day, we've got Yadi and Ozuna back, it's all right in front of us.
Up a game and a half but will need all the cushion we can get with over half the games left are with teams over 500 and 7 games with Cubs and 6 with the Brewers. Let's just say I'm not overly confident in this teams ability to close the deal - hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Not too long ago, I had pretty much given up on them but now my confidence is growing. Their bullpen has been phenomenal. If they can just keep the bats alive, we're in good shape.