Will McDonald, the next Matt Blair?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Will McDonald and Matt Blair?

After some consideration, I find myself forced (forced, I tell you!) to be the first to make this comparison in total earnestness. Will McDonald’s shift to linebacker, his sheer athleticism, feel for the game, reputation as a “freak”? It all fits!

Yep, I know, I’m old compared to some of you young whippersnappers. But my own real exposure to Matt Blair came when he was in his prime as a Minnesota’s Viking, making multiple Pro Bowls, making big plays all over the field, and setting records blocking kicks.

His reputation as an athletic freak came well before that, though. Part of the Matt Blair mythos at ISU is that he could place a quarter on top of a backboard. Seriously.

I have no idea whether that’s true or not—though I do have a friend who played basketball with Matt. As I recall, in games before the Cyclone varsity took the court.

I’ll mention that at one Spring Game, I glanced over and realized I was sitting a few feet away from Matt in the stands. Long retired then, he must have been in his forties—but in a tank and shorts, sprawled in the sun, looked like he could still go down on the field and kick some serious college kid ***.

Now, Will McDonald’s prep athletic successes, including starring in basketball and excelling in both the discus and high jump in track, are well documented on this site.

But the comparison goes deeper than sheer athleticism. With the switch, Will McDonald now plays the same position that Matt did as a pro. Even more, though the roster lists Will at 6’4” 230, he apparently claims to be 6’4 225 at the moment. Matt was listed as a pro at 6’5” 229. Yeah, that was a different day for football (both of Minnesota’s starting tackles, one a future HOF’er, were listed at 6’6” 255).

And the comparisons just keep coming. I’ve heard old timers (older than me) talk about how Matt was a total disruptor on the field as a Cyclone. That’s exactly how the staff is starting to about Will nowadays. All the things he can do, how fast he learns, how he’s a natural.

So, is Will McDonald going to be another Matt Blair? Only time will tell...but that time is very close.

Hey, somebody ask Will to put a quarter on top of a blackboard? And while you’re at it, get Matt down here to meet the kid!

kcbob79clone

Maybe a little early for this speculation. I am also older than most here and Matt Blair is a very high bar. Because of his speed he was also utilized by Johnny Majors as a rover, combo linebacker/safety which is now called a "star" in the Heacock 3-3-5 defense.

Matt Blair is my choice for ESPN Gameday should that ever happen.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I listened yesterday to the F.A.R.T. where at the end Jeff and Jared were trying to compare McDonald to any number of players from the last 10 years. I was actually going to try and send a PM to Jared and Jeff and tell them to find tape of Matt Blair.

I was a student when Matt was playing, and most would say that he should have been playing basketball instead of football.

Matt was such a disruptive force that Johnny Majors put him in a "rover" position as what I think we now call the star. Johnny was back for a game recently and I got to talk to him and I asked about Matt Blair and he said he just put him in the middle of the field and told him to make plays, and he did a lot! If McDonald is as good as Matt was in space we will be in very good shape on defense with the other pieces we have on defense.

It will be fun to watch.

Reactions: cyence and yCy

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Saw him take a cheap shot from a guy with the hilarious nickname of Bad Dude.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Will McDonald and Matt Blair?...
Anyone our age remembers Matt (Freakin) Blair. One of the best defensive players I think I can remember, seriously. If Will can come even close to what Matt was, look out.

I hope Matt can do better than some as he ages. God bless him now as he is dealing w/ brain and memory issues/repetitive head trauma. http://www.startribune.com/feb-22-f...s-leave-legacy-of-pain-uncertainty/293272861/
http://www.fox9.com/news/former-viking-great-struggles-with-memory-loss-after-years-of-hard-hits

Sorry to bring this up, Matt's (and others) head trauma associatied w/ Will here. Thank goodness we are more aware now and are taking preventitive safety measures. It was definitely a different time back then.

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
Anyone our age remembers Matt (Freakin) Blair. One of the best defensive players I think I can remember, seriously. If Will can come even close to what Matt was, look out.

I hope Matt can do better than some as he ages. God bless him now as he is dealing w/ brain and memory issues/repetitive head trauma. http://www.startribune.com/feb-22-f...s-leave-legacy-of-pain-uncertainty/293272861/
http://www.fox9.com/news/former-viking-great-struggles-with-memory-loss-after-years-of-hard-hits

Sorry to bring this up, Matt's (and others) head trauma associatied w/ Will here. Thank goodness we are more aware now and are taking preventitive safety measures. It was definitely a different time back then.

THANK YOU!!! GOD Bless you

• Friendly
Reactions: harimad and t-noah

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Will McDonald and Matt Blair?

After some consideration, I find myself forced (forced, I tell you!) to be the first to make this comparison in total earnestness. Will McDonald’s shift to linebacker, his sheer athleticism, feel for the game, reputation as a “freak”? It all fits!

Yep, I know, I’m old compared to some of you young whippersnappers. But my own real exposure to Matt Blair came when he was in his prime as a Minnesota’s Viking, making multiple Pro Bowls, making big plays all over the field, and setting records blocking kicks.

His reputation as an athletic freak came well before that, though. Part of the Matt Blair mythos at ISU is that he could place a quarter on top of a backboard. Seriously.

I have no idea whether that’s true or not—though I do have a friend who played basketball with Matt. As I recall, in games before the Cyclone varsity took the court.

I’ll mention that at one Spring Game, I glanced over and realized I was sitting a few feet away from Matt in the stands. Long retired then, he must have been in his forties—but in a tank and shorts, sprawled in the sun, looked like he could still go down on the field and kick some serious college kid ***.

Now, Will McDonald’s prep athletic successes, including starring in basketball and excelling in both the discus and high jump in track, are well documented on this site.

But the comparison goes deeper than sheer athleticism. With the switch, Will McDonald now plays the same position that Matt did as a pro. Even more, though the roster lists Will at 6’4” 230, he apparently claims to be 6’4 225 at the moment. Matt was listed as a pro at 6’5” 229. Yeah, that was a different day for football (both of Minnesota’s starting tackles, one a future HOF’er, were listed at 6’6” 255).

And the comparisons just keep coming. I’ve heard old timers (older than me) talk about how Matt was a total disruptor on the field as a Cyclone. That’s exactly how the staff is starting to about Will nowadays. All the things he can do, how fast he learns, how he’s a natural.

So, is Will McDonald going to be another Matt Blair? Only time will tell...but that time is very close.

Hey, somebody ask Will to put a quarter on top of a blackboard? And while you’re at it, get Matt down here to meet the kid!

The quarter thing is legit. Had a friend who played with Matt.

• Agree
Reactions: yCy

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
matt-blair-block.jpg
Dkr_Mi4U0AIzslQ.jpg
Matt-Blair-2-e1436971936515.jpg
502272b28e661.image.jpg

kcbob79clone

Maybe a little early for this speculation. I am also older than most here and Matt Blair is a very high bar. Because of his speed he was also utilized by Johnny Majors as a rover, combo linebacker/safety which is now called a "star" in the Heacock 3-3-5 defense.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006

Not sure if you know this but Matt Blair has dementia and trouble speaking.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Maybe a little early for this speculation. I am also older than most here and Matt Blair is a very high bar.....

Agree. Let's slow the roll and let Will win his first All-American award before we compare him to arguably Iowa State's all time best defensive player.
Regarding Matt, Bud Grant told me he was one of his best Viking players and the only one he had that was so dominant they changed an NFL rule because of him.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Agree. Let's slow the roll and let Will win his first All-American award before we compare him to arguably Iowa State's all time best defensive player.
Regarding Matt, Bud Grant told me he was one of his best Viking players and the only one he had that was so dominant they changed an NFL rule because of him.
Interdesting. That tells you a lot right there.

What was the rule they had to change?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Help Support Us

Become a patron