On That Note: By The Time We Got (Back) To Woodstock

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's another edition of "On That Note," CF’s hub for music obsession, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

Next week is the 50th anniversary of Woodstock and we’re about to become knee-deep in the mud of nostalgia. (“Woodstock 50” finally imploded after months of false-starts),

To mark the occasion, post some of your favorite songs by artists that performed at “3 Days of Peace & Music.” It is not limited to songs played at the festival — it can be anything from an artist’s catalog. Iconic performances from the show are fitting, of course.

There's no limit to how many time an artist is cited, but try to use a song that hasn’t been posted already.

Lineup reference: Official lineup from Woodstock.com

If you want to post songs played at the festival, here’s a handy setlist, by performer.

My list will start in a follow-up post.

Reactions: MeanDean

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Arlo Guthrie

I'm starting here for the spirit of it, mainly for the intro (along with a mid-song ramble). Still amuses me.

“New York State Thruway’s closed, man. Lotta freaks!” …

He accidentally triples the estimated attendance from “half-million” to “a million and a half.” people).

Reactions: Cydar

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Creedence Clearwater Revival

*** Nugget: CCR was the first performer to sign on for Woodstock, but was not included in the Woodstock movie OR original soundtrack.

First one is CCR’s set-closer at Woodstock. Riveting extended jam. Tempo shifts slightly faster partway through.

Up Around the Bend -- not played at the festival

Have You Ever Seen the Rain (released in 1971)

Related: John Fogerty on “Conan,” his recollection of performing at Woodstock.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
"We all sang the songs of peace" (a reference to Woodstock).

For all you Melanie haters, this is a fine song that came out in 1970, with a haunting verse, and Edwin Hawkins singers in the background are so cool. A one-of-a-kind song that hit the right notes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Blood, Sweat, and Tears played at Woodstock.

I doubt many other bands there at a four-piece horn section.

They had a great set, too...

1. More And More
2. Just One Smile
3. Somethin' Comin' On
4. I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know
5. Spinning Wheel
6. Sometimes In Winter
7. Smiling Phases
8. God Bless The Child
9. And When I Die
10. You've Made Me So Very Happy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
"We all sang the songs of peace" (a reference to Woodstock).

For all you Melanie haters, this is a fine song that came out in 1970, with a haunting verse, and Edwin Hawkins singers in the background are so cool. A one-of-a-kind song that hit the right notes.

In the OTN promo thread, I alluded to the fact this was inspired by her experience at Woodstock, so it fits well.

Reactions: matclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Great song (my nomination for the anthem of the 60s), arrangement, and performance by everyone involved. Cocker's energy here reminds me of Janis Joplin when she tore down the house at Monterey Pop in '67 (on film, highly recommended).

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Breaking the rules slightly and going with Joni Mitchell's Woodstock. She wasn't there but her boyfriend at the time, Graham Nash, was and she wrote it based on his description. People are probably more familiar with Crosby. Stills, Nash and Young's cover. I love those guys but love me some Joni to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cydar and matclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Just like the Arlo intro from @cyclones500, this song is very much of its time.

John Sebastian, for those who don't know, was the leader of the Lovin' Spoonful.

And later, he wrote the theme song for "Welcome Back, Kotter." (Originally, he wrote only 1 verse for the show, for the 45 version added a 2nd verse and an instrumental break featuring harmonica).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron