Best choice for cord cutters

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I see people referencing DVR functionality as a positive for one service over another. I've been streaming exclusively for almost two years now and I still haven't found a use for the DVR.

Generally the show is available on demand after it runs live but that delay may be 24hrs or more. DVR makes it immediately available if you miss the live broadcast.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
We have Hulu. I like it. It's nice to be able to get rid of the Live TV option between basketball and football so you save $35 a month.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneSarah

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
Generally the show is available on demand after it runs live but that delay may be 24hrs or more. DVR makes it immediately available if you miss the live broadcast.
Another thing DVR is great for is recording the beginning of a game (as long as you don't look at your phone for scores, etc.), that way you can catch up by fast forwarding between pitches/plays.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Got Hulu live here... I already had Hulu without ads, so adding Hulu live to my bundle seemed like the most cost effective option; plus they give you a bundle discount.

Currently paying $51 for Hulu+Live+No ads.

Internet is $40 for 25 mbps (xfinity)

Only thing that has bothered me about Hulu live is that you cannot forward past the ads when you DVR.

Yea its annoying that they make you pay an extra $10/month to do that.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanbr

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
We have centurylink 1gb at $75/month, although I don't think you really get 1gb most of the time; we haven't run into any issues with it despite that.

I started out with sling, then had PSVue for quite a while: this month when they raised their price to match youtubetv we switched. It's been a couple weeks at this point and I'd say I like youtubetv better than the other two

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
what is your monthly cap allowed? 1 TB?

If anyone can chime in on this, I would appreciate it. We are currently at 40 mbps (best Century Link offers in our area) for $55 per month and Comcast offers 150 for $81 per month but has that 1TB limit and charges you after that. We are a family of 4-6 depending on who is home from college. Is the 1TB limit a concern if we went to full time streaming with YouTube TV? Surfing primarily would be the only other real draw off of the service.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
If anyone can chime in on this, I would appreciate it. We are currently at 40 mbps (best Century Link offers in our area) for $55 per month and Comcast offers 150 for $81 per month but has that 1TB limit and charges you after that. We are a family of 4-6 depending on who is home from college. Is the 1TB limit a concern if we went to full time streaming with YouTube TV? Surfing primarily would be the only other real draw off of the service.

I can’t comment on the TB... but as far as speed, I would run speed tests to see if you get anywhere near that speed. I used to pay for 75mbps on Comcast and my speed was never near that number. That’s why I dropped mine to 25 mbps.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
How does SportzTV have that many popular channels for that cheap of a price? The website seems shady.
Because it is. Dude's serving up broadcasts he's paying for and reselling them.

It is "parent's login" served up to the masses. Don't fall for it, or at least be ready with your fraud reports on that card

• Agree
Reactions: STATE12

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
A vote here for youtubetv. They raised price to 50 bucks but still better than dealing with cable/sat. Youtube has great DVR system that is included as well.

Pay $45 a month for life for 80 Mbps through century link. Never had a problem with them and no data caps.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think the running estimate now is roughly 2-3GB of data used per hour of HD streams (SD streams knock it down to around 1GB/hr). If you have kids coming home downloading lots of news games and stuff, big-name games can be 50GB+ a piece. That'd be a bigger worry than the streams alone.

You'd probably be alright with the cap during peak times of kids being around, but it'd be worth keeping an eye on.

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
We have a 1TB limit with Mediacrime. Wife usually watches TV, two kids and myself are on it constantly streaming or PS4 game playing(til the wee hours of the morning by the kid). We come close at times to going over the 1 TB but then it is 10$ for 50 more gb. Never had many issues in our area with continuity of service or speed.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
We used to hit 1TB pretty easy when we had PSVue. But that was more because our FireTV was streaming in the background I think. Not sure. Now that I have the Unifi home network I can see exactly what uses what. I'm sure that I could put limits on devices as well if needed.

I will have to see what Philo and Sling are like today. Unless I can get Mediacom to come down from the $80/mo for 100 download I would be just as fine sticking with Mediacom and upping my service to include HD for $130. Which is the same as adding on streaming and listen to my wife complain about switching service.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
So does Philo for $20/mo.
I guess I needed to be more specific. And I want to be able to watch Iowa State sporting events. :)

Sling is an option, but I don't see a lot of talk about them in this thread. The mega one from a few years ago had Sling and Vue. Now it's Vue, YouTube, and Hulu. Since Vue and YouTube don't have A&E or History they are out. So Hulu or Sling for streaming or stay with MC.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Has anyone tried fubo? I looked at slide it's an option as is YouTube TV. We switched to windstream for internet and have no data caps and better luck then we ever had with mediacrap.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I assume all of these streaming options in Central Iowa don't include local NBC? Hasn't been too big of deal, but when football and EPL starts I'd sure like to have it.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Has anyone tried fubo? I looked at slide it's an option as is YouTube TV. We switched to windstream for internet and have no data caps and better luck then we ever had with mediacrap.

I think the biggest hang-up on fubo is that it doesn't have ESPN.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I assume all of these streaming options in Central Iowa don't include local NBC? Hasn't been too big of deal, but when football and EPL starts I'd sure like to have it.
No, Tribune Media owns WHO and will not allow any of their stations onto OTT platforms.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
No, Tribune Media owns WHO and will not allow any of their stations onto OTT platforms.

Which is dumb, because now I consume NBC from a far off station rather than watching ads from CH 13. And I just stopped watching soundoff.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader