Minivan Recommendations

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Crysler hasn't made the Grand Caravan for like 3 years now. It was replaced by the Pacifica in 2017 and it's not on the same platform as the Dodge. Much quieter than the old Grand Caravan and generally considered best in class.

Chrysler hasn't made the Town and Country for 3 years. Dodge still makes the Grand Caravan.

• Agree
Reactions: nocsious3

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So, how fast did the Sienna and GC go?

Didn't put the GC beyond 80 (MIL's van). Haven't pushed the Sienna much more than 90 sustained with 100 in spurts in Western Nebraska. Only issue I ever had was a little hydroplaning on the Kansas turnpike as we were were headed down to San Antonio. Otherwise, it has handled anything I've thrown at it.

Again, lacking features since it hasn't been updated in nearly a decade, but it's a solid choice.

Reactions: Bobber

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Didn't put the GC beyond 80 (MIL's van). Haven't pushed the Sienna much more than 90 sustained with 100 in spurts in Western Nebraska. Only issue I ever had was a little hydroplaning on the Kansas turnpike as we were were headed down to San Antonio. Otherwise, it has handled anything I've thrown at it.

Again, lacking features since it hasn't been updated in nearly a decade, but it's a solid choice.
I've hustled the GC a bit but haven't driven a Sienna for comparison. but my parents old 05' GC with the 3.8L and 4 speed did fine and their current 16' with the 3.6L and a 6speed does a lot better and is more fun to drive then the last one, the Pentastars torque hits above 5k is what I've noticed with both my parents van and the 2 work trucks I drive regularly. Hustled what I think was either a 2010 or a 2011 rental with the 4.0L at the time out in the mountains in California and it surprised me a bit of what it could do.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I have driven a Toyota Sienna for almost 14 years now. Kept the first one for 10yrs, then bought another. We have never had any issues handling in the snow in Iowa and we have been on some pretty scary conditions with them (think the death trap that is I-90 across Southern MN in the winter). The automatic doors did crap out on our first one, and now there has been a door recall on our newer one which is supposedly fixed by the dealership replacing and putting in a bigger fuse. But the sliding doors are definitely the best feature ever.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
We bought a 2017 Pacifica in July 2018. It's great and we'd buy it again. The price is right when compared to Toyota and Honda.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
My wife refused to get a van until she saw the automatic sliding doors. A 3rd row SUV is good, but let's be honest, the only reason to buy that with kids is to avoid driving a minivan. Buying a minivan is not a lifetime commitment. After the kids are older you can buy a fancy SUV.

We love our minivan- it is honestly the most practical car i've ever bought and getting over the ego of driving one was easy once you realize your job it to take your kids places, not look cool at Hyvee.

I've been to Hy-Vee. Looking cool in that crowd isn't a high bar to clear.

I just wish we didn't put new tires on our Rav. That thing would be gone and replaced with a minivan.

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We had a Dodge Caravan for a number of years, until the kids got older. Then it was a hand-me-down to them as they got their DLs. It was a great vehicle, with very few problems. Be sure to get the captain's chairs.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
You should consider the Kia Sedona. Gets great reviews, very dependable and you get a lot of extras for your money.

Had two Honda O vans and 4 transmissions- We got a fully loaded Sedona with 6 CD changer, moonroof, sunroof, heated leather seats and a DVD player at a third of the cost of Honda or Toyota. Drove the hell out of it across the country without any issues. Unfortunately a deer put an end to our travels in it. No one hurt thank good- Still miss that van 2 years later-

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Wife and I bought a 2014 Chrysler T&C in 2015 and haven't had any problems with it since. Had 10k miles on it when we bought it, have 85k on it now. Thinking about trading in for a Pacifica before we hit 100k miles.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I've driven a Sienna and a Grand Caravan and I'd say stay away from the GC. It does have more features for the money, but it just doesn't drive well. The Sienna has no issue going as fast as you want on the highway. Triple digits along I80 didn't phase it at all. Ride is as smooth as a sedan. The GC is bumpy and shakes at high speeds.
What a well thought out way to evaluate a minivan - driveability at 100+mph. :confused:

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Anyone considering buying any vehicle with the Stow & G0 type seating should be forced to sit on one of those seats for an hour. They have very little padding and on a road trip your backside will be aching about the time you clear city limits.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone considering buying any vehicle with the Stow & G0 type seating should be forced to sit on one of those seats for an hour. They have very little padding and on a road trip your backside will be aching about the time you clear city limits.
That hasn't been my experience at all. I'm not going to say I've spent time in a lot of sto and go seats, but the ones I have sat in were fine. My Pacifica has really comfortable seats. Way better than most back seats, but I did get the premium leather seats so maybe that makes difference.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
That hasn't been my experience at all. I'm not going to say I've spent time in a lot of sto and go seats, but the ones I have sat in were fine. My Pacifica has really comfortable seats. Way better than most back seats, but I did get the premium leather seats so maybe that makes difference.

The Pacifica must be much improved then. The Town & Country and Grand Caravan seats were a real pain in the arse. The 3rd row seats in many SUVs are just as bad.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
Haven’t purchased one yet but right now we are settled on a higher miles 14/15 Odyssey. Really like the new odysseys but don’t feel like paying $40k. You can get 2014 touring elites for around $17k-$18k120k miles with good maintenance records. Plan is to either do that or get an EX-L for a little cheaper with around 70k miles. Either way we will sell it in 3 or 4 years and then get a used 19/20 odyssey for the long term.

The Pacifica wasn't bad but the seats just aren’t as comfortable as an Odyssey or Sienna.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The Pacifica must be much improved then. The Town & Country and Grand Caravan seats were a real pain in the arse. The 3rd row seats in many SUVs are just as bad.
I checked out a ton of mid size SUVs and with the exception of the traverse I dont think any of the 3rd rows were appropriate for anything but children.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
6'5" here and I sit in the 3rd row seats of my parents Grand Caravan a lot since its easier for me to get in or out of them when the whole family goes places. Never found them to be uncomfortable at all, or the second row seats either. It was the same on the 05 GC they had before too.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

MrTippet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2009
We are considering the Oddessey and Pacifica Hybrid.

Pacifica Hybrid
Pro
Gas mileage/plug in

Con
Can't add a hitch for bikes
Possible reliability concerns
Might need to have one second row seat out for easier access to third row.

Oddessey
Pro
Reliability
2nd row can slide side to side

Con
Always haven't liked Hondas and wife's old Accord was horrible.
Mileage

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
We are considering the Oddessey and Pacifica Hybrid.

Pacifica Hybrid
Pro
Gas mileage/plug in

Con
Can't add a hitch for bikes
Possible reliability concerns
Might need to have one second row seat out for easier access to third row.

Oddessey
Pro
Reliability
2nd row can slide side to side

Con
Always haven't liked Hondas and wife's old Accord was horrible.
Mileage

Con
You're driving a minivan.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'm putting a class 3 hitch on our Odyssey this week. Does anyone have recommendations on how much rise I'll need for the ball mount to have a level trailer coupler so that the trailer doesn't sway as bad?? I envision pulling u-haul trailers, metal utility trailers and maybe a small fishing boat down the road.

I believe the receiver mount height will be around 13 inches

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron