Iowa could be a dog in 5 games this year

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
ESPN FPI win total: 7.7
Win Total over/under: 7.5

Iowa could be a dog in these 5 games:
@Wisconsin (lost 6 of 7 in series)
@Michigan
@Northwestern (lost 3 in a row in series)
@Nebraska
@ISU

Let's assume they can steal one of these and go 1-4 SU as a dog (ISU was 2-5 as a dog last year). That means they would need to sweep their homes games to go 8-4:
Miami (OH)
Rutgers
Mid Tenn St (don't sleep on this game, last losing season was 2012)
Penn St
Purdue
Minnesota
Illinois

I can see a scenario where they may lose 2 of 3 to Penn St/Purdue/Minnesota and have to beat Nebraska just to go 6-6.

By contrast, ISU may only be a dog twice, @OU and Texas. When, if ever, has that ever happened.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Nebraska and their defense suck
I think they make a jump in year two under Scott Frost. They miss Michigan, Penn St, Mich St, so there schedule is cake. I think they win at 8-10 games in the regular season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think they make a jump in year two under Scott Frost. They miss Michigan, Penn St, Mich St, so there schedule is cake. I think they win at 8-10 games in the regular season.

Probably 8 wins due to getting to play in the Big Ten West but their defense will suck again

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
They could easily win @ Wisconsin, NW, and Nebraska. All three are far from being really good FB teams.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Probably 8 wins due to getting to play in the Big Ten West but their defense will suck again
They get Wisconsin and tOSU at home. They could win one or both of those.There season will hinge on winning road games like @Purdue and @Minnesota. Part of me wishes they win the west and get stomped in a New Years 6 or January 1 bowl.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
They get Wisconsin and tOSU at home. They could win one or both of those.There season will hinge on winning road games like @Purdue and @Minnesota. Part of me wishes they win the west and get stomped in a New Years 6 or January 1 bowl.

Winning at Nebraska isn't hard

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
They could easily win @ Wisconsin, NW, and Nebraska. All three are far from being really good FB teams.
In the preseason computer rankings, these teams rank 16-40, depending where you look. My problem with Iowa is there offense. Last two games against NW, they are averaging 10 points per game. The last four games against Wis, they have averaged 11 points per game. Where is there offense coming from? Iowa used to be a program that was built on attention to detail and now for whatever reason it is not. I mean look at last year, NW, Penn St, and Purdue were all games Iowa should have won, but either there QB or coaching staff made awful calls/plays that cost them games.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
In the preseason computer rankings, these teams rank 16-40, depending where you look. My problem with Iowa is there offense. Last two games against NW, they are averaging 10 points per game. The last four games against Wis, they have averaged 11 points per game. Where is there offense coming from? Iowa used to be a program that was built on attention to detail and now for whatever reason it is not. I mean look at last year, NW, Penn St, and Purdue were all games Iowa should have won, but either there QB or coaching staff made awful calls/plays that cost them games.

Iowa has really struggled to run the ball under Brian Ferentz and we all know their QB has his limitations. Iowa was very good in the red zone last year but that was largely due to two top 20 draft picks they would just throw it up to in the end zone

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
They are very good, but Iowa is still going to have to score some points. A great defensive line can't always stop a great passing game.

Quick hitters, Man. Epenesa, if he remains healthy, is a freak. Good enough to disrupt a passing game by himself unless they are quick slants, etc. I’d like to see the good guys run right at him for positive yards. If we can do that, it’s a good sign. If not...trouble.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Quick hitters, Man. Epenesa, if he remains healthy, is a freak. Good enough to disrupt a passing game by himself unless they are quick slants, etc. I’d like to see the good guys run right at him for positive yards. If we can do that, it’s a good sign. If not...trouble.
I would love to see us take the next step this year. Think about all the heartbreak the last two years. Two years ago, 10 point fourth quarter lead against Iowa and OSU and lose, 11 point fourth quarter lead against KSU and lose, hold WV scoreless for 3 quarters and lose. Last year, hold Iowa to 13 points and lose, hold TCU to 17 points and lose, be the better team in the Alamo Bowl and lose. After game 4 we will know a ton about this team, beat Iowa and at Baylor, this team will for real and a real contender in the Big 12.