SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
**** Baylor and their dog **** program.

2015–Brawl
2016–Brawl
2017–Brawl
2018–Brawl

Yeah. It’s definitely Baylor against the world.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Several of those guys have had enough snaps. To say some of them are unproven is a joke. Our weakness in the running game isn't on the rb's it's the OL.

Who had enough snaps to be considered a "proven" RB? After Montgomery, who had 257 attempts, Nwangwu had 39, Croney had 23, and Lang had 22. Given a 13 game season, all of those average 3 or less attempts per game. If I looked correctly, the most rushes per game that any one of them had was 10 (Nwangwu against OSU - which put him well under 3 attempts per game average for the remaining games).

I'm not suggesting that OL was not a problem, but I don't see how you can say that ISU has a "proven" running back given the limited number of attempts that the guys under Montgomery had.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Actually that was a pretty good write up considering it was from an opposing team's journalist. Some of you just have a vendetta. Yes he did miss that fact that Montgomery was ejected after about 3 dirty Baylor plays in a row, and honestly the game did turn in Baylor's favor after that until Brewer got himself kicked out. But his analysis of question marks for the ISU is fairly accurate and he was relatively complimentary. Predicting a close Baylor win is not out of line.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Baylor reminds me of the Jimmy Baker, Jimmy Swaggart & Peter Popoffs of the so-called "Christian" world. It claims they are a Christian institution and even use that moniker to gain high-level recruits but, at its real core, the school has allowed its leaders to win at all costs while continually denying the damage they have left in their wake. Heck, even Jimmy Swaggart produced tears for the camera. There are still good people (alums and students) associated with that university (even many members of those televangelists' congregations were probably nice people too), but the Big XII's biggest mistake was allowing BU to continue its membership in the conference! It used to be that the team that I wanted to destroy the most in our conference was KSU. It is no longer that way. It is BU - and I want all teams in the conference to kill them.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I was scared with the way they were matriculating the ball down the field against us last year. They do lose a big playmaker as well in that Tennessee transfer they had last year. I think we lose to them this season. They have a great coach.

• Agree
Reactions: dosry5

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I was scared with the way they were matriculating the ball down the field against us last year. They do lose a big playmaker as well in that Tennessee transfer they had last year. I think we lose to them this season. They have a great coach.
I hope that he leaves after this year!!

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Several of those guys have had enough snaps. To say some of them are unproven is a joke. Our weakness in the running game isn't on the rb's it's the OL.
JFC. This guy is from Baylor. You think he’s supposed to watch film on each guy before writing a simple write up? We have literally the fewest yards returning of any team in the league and probably among the lowest in the country. And he still gives us credit for having great young (but unproven) talent.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To say some of them are unproven is a joke.
Did you pay attention to what you wrote yourself?

Please explain to me how Jirehl and Breece are “proven”, by any stretch of the imagination. Go ahead, be my guest. :cool:

And the extent of Johnnie’s resume is basically one single touchdown run. Kinda looks like you’re just looking for an excuse to get your panties in a knot.

Or I’m missing your implied jimlad. If so, my apologies.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I see that a couple of people have marked my post about our offense being improved as “optimistic”. Well, yes it is. I don’t think it is overly optimistic though.

A. offensive line will be improved—barring the unforeseen.

B. Brock is coming into the season not only as the anointed starter, with experience, with an entire offseason to improve, but the coaches have taken that same time

C. With Tom Manning back.

D. To complement B and C (really, all of the above), despite losing Montgomery and Butler our coaches have more weapons overall to work with.

Coach Campbell has commented on how he didn’t have all of the parts in place before now to implement the varied, sophisticated offense that he wants to. The implication being that he does now.

The offensive line is experienced, the tight ends are poised to explode—and there is a lot of talent in both the wide receiver and running back room.

I stand by what I posted. Our offense will be improved over last year.

The Bay game is one I will not pencil in as a sure win, as I did last few years.
I’ll pencil it in. I just won’t ink it in, as I will with several other matchups.

(That’s what Whiteout is for!)

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
So I’m probably throwing myself into the fire, but who knows maybe it will be fun?;)

I’m the writer of that article. I’ve been an Iowa State fan my entire life (both of my parents went to ISU and my brother is currently finishing up there). My father actually was the one that let me know I was getting some “love” here! I’ve been a longtime member of this forum as well.

I went to Baylor for undergrad and grad school and long story short I now have two strong fandoms. The worst three days of the year for me are when Baylor and Iowa State play in football or basketball.

All that being said, I follow both teams very closely and this is my honest assessment of where the teams might be talent-wise and mentally. These articles are, as the title suggests, supposed to be quick so I don’t have a ton of space to do a thorough deep dive on the matchup. But I agree with many who have already posted that this game could easily go one way or the other. It will be an absolutely CRITICAL indicator for who might be making a Big 12 title game push outside of OU and UT and who probably isn’t.

(As for proof, I fixed the incorrect Alamo Bowl score, which was a REALLY embarrassing wires-crossed typo since I was at that game.. thanks for catching that.)

Last edited:

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
So I’m probably throwing myself into the fire, but who knows maybe it will be fun?;)

I’m the writer of that article. I’ve been an Iowa State fan my entire life (both of my parents went to ISU and my brother is currently finishing up there). My father actually was the one that let me know I was getting some “love” here! I went to Baylor for undergrad and grad school and long story short I now have two fandoms. The worst three days of the year for me are when Baylor and Iowa State play in football or basketball.

All that being said, I follow both teams very closely and this is my honest assessment of where the teams might be talent-wise and mentally. These articles are, as the title suggests, supposed to be quick so I don’t have a ton of space to do a thorough deep dive on the matchup. But I agree with many who have already posted that this game could easily go one way or the other. It will be an absolutely CRITICAL indicator for who might be making a Big 12 title game push outside of OU and UT and who probably isn’t.

(As for proof, I fixed the incorrect Alamo Bowl score, which was a REALLY embarrassing wires-crossed typo since I was at the game.. thanks for catching that.)

I think the article is a fair assessment. I know you have to play to the home crowd on ourdailybears, but I'm guessing this little excerpt is what's bringing interest from CF:

"Last year’s game in Ames between Baylor and Iowa State was surprisingly chippy, with a brawl breaking out that neither fanbase has seemed to forget. Iowa State got the better of the Bears with Charlie Brewer getting ejected late as the game was still in contention. Baylor likely has a point to prove through all of that."

It is all true, but there are a few pieces left out that built to the spat. I am interested which team you feel is more at fault for the incident (can't say 50/50)? It also seems to make the Brewer ejection the reason for the loss, but ISU lost Montgomery for a longer period of time which is just as or more important of a piece to our offense. We will probably have the same chip or more on our shoulder that Baylor will. Again, the article was written for a Baylor site, so you have to write it as such. I do feel like it is fair assessment for that setting. I wouldn't have replied to you if I didn't think you wanted feedback, which I am assuming you are wanting based off of your reply. This is going to be a good game, and I actually don't think it will be chippy this time around because Campbell is all business and expects the same from the players. I'm sure Campbell had a few choice words to say after last years game and will reaffirm those points again before this year's game. I think Rhule is a good coach as well and had similar thoughts of the incident.

Last edited:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I still feel like our team did not handle the poor turf very well in the last half of the season. Why we couldn't as a team deal with that I'm not sure since it was our home turf, but really it started in the Baylor game and I always felt like our team did a poor job adapting.
Did seem that about every team we played against had better footing than us at home. Not sure how that happens.

CyFan987

Jan 8, 2008
Waco, TX
So I have watched it back and forth and honestly can’t tell you who I think is “more” at fault. Baylor fans point to Butler seemingly choking a Baylor defender (although there is certainly disagreement on how malicious that was compared with trying to regain balance). I think Montgomery was more in the clear trying to defend his teammates while Baylor’s Greg Roberts tried to pull the dumbest punch in maybe all of human history.

But the main flair up was a ripple from the earlier late hit out of bounds by Baylor. Flag? Absolutely. But every time I watch it it seems like it looked worse than it was (I can’t get in either players’ minds so it’s impossible to say for sure) but it looked like a tangle up that got tempers flared as it happened on the ISU sideline.

All that to say I have no idea who’s fault it was. Which is why I avoided rehashing that discussion in the article (Twitter has had that conversation a billion times over). While I certainly agree Montgomery getting the boot hurt ISU, Montgomery is gone for this year’s game. Butler is gone as well. Baylor’s Greg Roberts is gone. Charlie Brewer isn’t.

And I think most Baylor fans think Charlie got a raw deal as the Bears were gaining late game momentum. Brewer had no role in the initial fight but both teams as a whole were assessed an unsportsmanlike. So when Brewer later said a ball spot was “****ing terrible” or something to that effect, he got ejected. That’s the way the rule goes so I have no major complaints there but from everything I know of Brewer that’s going to be something he uses to motivate himself and the team. I’m sure similar motivation will come in the ISU locker room but emotions seem to run deeper after a loss than a win and as I said the key ISU players in the fight are gone. So that’s the point I was trying to make in only a couple sentences! I hope that answers the question?

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
So I have watched it back and forth and honestly can’t tell you who I think is “more” at fault. Baylor fans point to Butler seemingly choking a Baylor defender (although there is certainly disagreement on how malicious that was compared with trying to regain balance). I think Montgomery was more in the clear trying to defend his teammates while Baylor’s Greg Roberts tried to pull the dumbest punch in maybe all of human history.

But the main flair up was a ripple from the earlier late hit out of bounds by Baylor. Flag? Absolutely. But every time I watch it it seems like it looked worse than it was (I can’t get in either players’ minds so it’s impossible to say for sure) but it looked like a tangle up that got tempers flared as it happened on the ISU sideline.

All that to say I have no idea who’s fault it was. Which is why I avoided rehashing that discussion in the article (Twitter has had that conversation a billion times over). While I certainly agree Montgomery getting the boot hurt ISU, Montgomery is gone for this year’s game. Butler is gone as well. Baylor’s Greg Roberts is gone. Charlie Brewer isn’t.

And I think most Baylor fans think Charlie got a raw deal as the Bears were gaining late game momentum. Brewer had no role in the initial fight but both teams as a whole were assessed an unsportsmanlike. So when Brewer later said a ball spot was “****ing terrible” or something to that effect, he got ejected. That’s the way the rule goes so I have no major complaints there but from everything I know of Brewer that’s going to be something he uses to motivate himself and the team. I’m sure similar motivation will come in the ISU locker room but emotions seem to run deeper after a loss than a win and as I said the key ISU players in the fight are gone. So that’s the point I was trying to make in only a couple sentences! I hope that answers the question?

Definitely (although I did say that you couldn't say 50/50 :D). I agree that the missed late hit/tackling out of bounds (however they wanted to call it) was the boiling point and a real missed opportunity for the refs to regain control and we saw the result. With how Campbell and Rhule are, I would put down money that we do not see anything but business on the field this year.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
It was most definitely the Baylor DB that was the instigator in all of the chaos. There was 3 or 4 incidents that he was involved with our guys on the sideline before Hakeem retaliated after a play. I was pissed watching it from the stands and was surprised it took someone from the team that long to react. Not saying it was right/smart, it wasn’t, but I certainly didn’t fault our men for being retaliatory.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
when was the Butler retaliation? I’m trying to remember which play or what he did. I remember one where it looked like he did something but when seen on the TV replay later, it was the D.B. that did the most.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
when was the Butler retaliation? I’m trying to remember which play or what he did. I remember one where it looked like he did something but when seen on the TV replay later, it was the D.B. that did the most.
yep it was the baylor DB who held Butler's legs as he was trying to get up after pancake blocking him into the ground.

Help Support Us

Become a patron