New Cell Phone and Driving Law in Minnesota - hands free

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I see people literally holding their phone up eye level it’s crazy.

Idk how u get caught driving and holding phone unless you are next to a cop with it literally in your so cop can see it.

If I’m talking I have wired headphones in and it’s on my console.

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I regularly drive in both Iowa and Minnesota and things are just as bad in Iowa as they are here. At least Minnesota is trying to do something about it.
I regularly drive in both and I will respectfully disagree. On I-35 between Des Moines and Minneapolis, I would say about 80%+ of the time some ******* is sitting in the left lane going 62mph with no one around, the plate is MN.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I regularly drive in both and I will respectfully disagree. On I-35 between Des Moines and Minneapolis, I would say about 80%+ of the time some ******* is sitting in the left lane going 62mph with no one around, the plate is MN.
You see what you want to see. I experience that quite a bit. But the percentage of Iowa plates I see doing that is comparable to percentage of Iowa plates I see over all. Minnesotans are terrible drivers - but so are Iowans.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
They have said that other states experienced an average of 15% reduction in traffic fatalities after implementing similar laws.
Any improvement is great but at the same time it’s just a small dent in reducing distracted driving. It seems as if this law was put in place for cheap political votes and not because it will have significant impact.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Driving through LA suburb to suburb in one area the driver could be having an orgy in a car driving 120mph and not get a ticket. In the next suburb you get a $300 ticket for one hand on the wheel and the other holding a donut while driving 65mph.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Any improvement is great but at the same time it’s just a small dent in reducing distracted driving. It seems as if this law was put in place for cheap political votes and not because it will have significant impact.
It is necessary IMO. People who were serial texters/surfers were difficult to catch since they could feign dialing the phone and put it up to their ear. Now it is pretty cut and dried and easier on the fuzz. I have no doubt we will continue to see a big problem, but a little deterrence will at least help.

Besides, I want the other drivers to be paying attention when I scream by them at 35 over the speed limit. ;)

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

The worst is the northbound section of I35 between Owatonna and MSP. I don't know why, but traffic increases and shitheads all drive in the left lane.

That said, I80 and I380 is full of Iowa plates doing the same thing. The stretch from Davenport to Iowa City is bad and the CR-IC rush hour gridlock is full of them.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
No.

They went out of their way to say that they are not encouraging speeding but it is not up to motorists to attempt to patrol the speed of other motorists and they could be ticketed for impeding other motorists and causing a traffic hazard even if they are at or above the speed limit.

I like the idea, but the practice/enforcement of that seems very difficult.

They obviously aren't giving the A-OK to speeding (against the law), but the technicality of it feels very off if you get ticketed for impeding other motorists while going above the speed limit (which you could already be ticketed for as speeding, or the others you are "holding up" will soon be speeding at an even more unacceptable rate).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The worst is the northbound section of I35 between Owatonna and MSP. I don't know why, but traffic increases and shitheads all drive in the left lane.

That said, I80 and I380 is full of Iowa plates doing the same thing. The stretch from Davenport to Iowa City is bad and the CR-IC rush hour gridlock is full of them.
Part of the problem is when traffic gets busy people try to do the right thing and move right and then when that car catches up to slower traffic in their lane no one wants to let him back into the left lane. It ends up being negative reinforcement also known as "No good deed goes unpunished." I'm fine letting them back in when they did the right thing. I'm not going out of my way to let them back in when all they used the right lane for was to pass on the right and expect someone to slow down so they can get back in the left lane.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
You see what you want to see. I experience that quite a bit. But the percentage of Iowa plates I see doing that is comparable to percentage of Iowa plates I see over all. Minnesotans are terrible drivers - but so are Iowans.

Agreed, certainly easy to see what you want to see. It is also all relative - MN/IA drivers look like amazing drivers compared to Illinois (generally speaking)! :p

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like the idea, but the practice/enforcement of that seems very difficult.

They obviously aren't giving the A-OK to speeding (against the law), but the technicality of it feels very off if you get ticketed for impeding other motorists while going above the speed limit (which you could already be ticketed for as speeding, or the others you are "holding up" will soon be speeding at an even more unacceptable rate).
Realistically I see them getting the guy who camps out in the left lane and slows down when next to another car and then speeds up when the right lane is clear so no one can get around him even if they try in the right lane. I see some DBs do that a lot. "I'm not letting you around me and when you can't get around me I'm going to make damned sure you travel at whatever pace I see fit."

But if you look at it you are being ticketed for where you are - driving in the passing lane rather than passing in the passing lane - not how fast you or other traffic is traveling.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
In Illinois, it can be pretty nasty, = moving violation, possible felony charge. Some jurisdictions, it can be camera enforced, so double whammy if you run a camera red light.

Cell Phone Ticket Penalties
This ticket has a maximum fine of $75 ($120 when you add fees and costs) for a first offense, $100 for a second offense, $125 for a third offense, and $150 for a fourth or subsequent offense. However, this does not include fees and costs. In Cook County, for example, when you go to court, court costs of $179 to $214 will be added on to the fine. This makes the minimum actually about $300 for a first offense. In DuPage and Lake counties, the total cost can be $400 or more.

While a violation of the Illinois cell phone law is usually a petty offense, the use of a cell phone that results in an accident resulting in personal injury or death may be upgraded to a misdemeanor or felony offense.

Is a Cell Phone Ticket a Moving Violation?
Prior to July 1, 2019, the first offense for driving while using an electronic communication device was not a moving violation. Subsequent offenses were considered a moving violation.

However, a new law goes into effect on July 1, 2019, that makes illegally using a handheld device a moving violation on the first offense.

If you are a driver with a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or you want to make every effort to keep this off your driving record, it is advised that you hire an experienced traffic lawyer to represent you. If you are cited while driving a commercial vehicle, it will count as a moving violation even prior to the new law taking effect.

Our lawyers have had great success fighting these tickets. It is possible that we may be able to get the ticket dismissed, get a “not guilty” verdict at trial, or otherwise keep this off your record. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In Illinois, it can be pretty nasty, = moving violation, possible felony charge. Some jurisdictions, it can be camera enforced, so double whammy if you run a camera red light.

Cell Phone Ticket Penalties
This ticket has a maximum fine of $75 ($120 when you add fees and costs) for a first offense, $100 for a second offense, $125 for a third offense, and $150 for a fourth or subsequent offense. However, this does not include fees and costs. In Cook County, for example, when you go to court, court costs of $179 to $214 will be added on to the fine. This makes the minimum actually about $300 for a first offense. In DuPage and Lake counties, the total cost can be $400 or more.

While a violation of the Illinois cell phone law is usually a petty offense, the use of a cell phone that results in an accident resulting in personal injury or death may be upgraded to a misdemeanor or felony offense.

Is a Cell Phone Ticket a Moving Violation?
Prior to July 1, 2019, the first offense for driving while using an electronic communication device was not a moving violation. Subsequent offenses were considered a moving violation.

However, a new law goes into effect on July 1, 2019, that makes illegally using a handheld device a moving violation on the first offense.

If you are a driver with a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or you want to make every effort to keep this off your driving record, it is advised that you hire an experienced traffic lawyer to represent you. If you are cited while driving a commercial vehicle, it will count as a moving violation even prior to the new law taking effect.

Our lawyers have had great success fighting these tickets. It is possible that we may be able to get the ticket dismissed, get a “not guilty” verdict at trial, or otherwise keep this off your record. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation.

Is this from your law firm?

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014

Closer to Iowa City...more AssHats? Coincidence? I think not.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Realistically I see them getting the guy who camps out in the left lane and slows down when next to another car and then speeds up when the right lane is clear so no one can get around him even if they try in the right lane. I see some DBs do that a lot. "I'm not letting you around me and when you can't get around me I'm going to make damned sure you travel at whatever pace I see fit."

But if you look at it you are being ticketed for where you are - driving in the passing lane rather than passing in the passing lane - not how fast you or other traffic is traveling.

True - that certainly can be a top 10 driving annoyance. But also seems like the officer would almost have to be within a few rows of that driver to be able to determine the cause and pinpoint the violator.

That's a nice way to look at it in theory, but there is still the upper limit of doing a separate illegal act. Do you pull over the guy leading (holding up traffic) that's going 5-7 mph over and give a ticket for both speeding and impeding traffic since others are looking to pass him (contradicting tickets)? And if he is making any advancement on cars ahead in the driving lane he could still be in a passing process. Being picky and playing devil's advocate, but just appears to be some difficult gray judgement area.

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I see people literally holding their phone up eye level it’s crazy.

Idk how u get caught driving and holding phone unless you are next to a cop with it literally in your so cop can see it.

If I’m talking I have wired headphones in and it’s on my console.

Wearing headphones while driving is illegal in a lot of places too.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wearing headphones while driving is illegal in a lot of places too.
Minnesota's hands free law includes that it can't be two head phones - only one. I learned that today after Mrs. Velo got me a wireless headphone device that I can use while working out and as my wireless connection to my phone. Of course it has the double earbud thing and may be awkward when on only one ear.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You should try making the drive from Chicago to Ames. Me constantly for 4.5 years:
456CBiT.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone