MLB: ***Official 2019 St. Louis Cardinals Season Thread***

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't dispute that Martinez is on the bottom-rung of right field defenders, but I question the premise that this outweighs his batting prowess. I watched several years of Matt Holliday in left field making bad plays, yet he was in the line-up every day. Why? Because he could hit.

Holiday was an average defender during his prime years. His outstanding offensive production made him a top tier player and his defense was nowhere near as bad as JMart (at comparable ages).

I would argue Holliday remained in the lineup even after he became a defensive liability because, yes, he could still hit. But also because he was the highest paid player on the team and a clubhouse leader. Just like JMart, he was frequently removed during late innings for a better defender.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
only a half game behind the big bad Cubs!

Mozeliak has to be looking to add a strategic piece at this point. Problem is that the market appears pretty dry at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Maybe this year will be like 2006, we sucked most of the season with injuries and poor play, and then took off towards the end. Keep throwing the young kids out there, and lets sweep the Bucco's.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
How does Carp play when he's back? Edmond is playing lights out. He's been the best leadoff hitter we've had this year. I guess he can play multiple positions, so maybe he takes time away from Munoz (who is playing good too) Oneil or Bader.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How does Carp play when he's back? Edmond is playing lights out. He's been the best leadoff hitter we've had this year. I guess he can play multiple positions, so maybe he takes time away from Munoz (who is playing good too) Oneil or Bader.

I dunno, but I have no doubt Carp will be back in his leadoff spot. Not because he deserves it but because the cards have a history of continuing to play veterans wasaayyy beyond their period of effectiveness.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Good decision to leave Carp in Memphis for now. Bats seem to be clicking now, and I would hate to disrupt the current trend. Goldy hitting his stride as well. Would love to see the Cards make a play on the Mets' Thor (Syndergaard)!

I saw rumors of the Cards perhaps looking at Cincy's Puig - not sure that makes a ton of sense, unless they are moving J Martinez or Ozuna.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Good decision to leave Carp in Memphis for now. Bats seem to be clicking now, and I would hate to disrupt the current trend. Goldy hitting his stride as well. Would love to see the Cards make a play on the Mets' Thor (Syndergaard)!

I saw rumors of the Cards perhaps looking at Cincy's Puig - not sure that makes a ton of sense, unless they are moving J Martinez or Ozuna.

Puig is a free agent at the end of the year, getting him would be a risky move, unless you plan on plugging him into right, and move Fowler to center full time, and the bring in Bider for defense late in the game. Bider is hitting .201,
Plus I can not see the reds just giving him away, they will want quite a bit for him.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Puig would cost too much and is a clubhouse challenge.

Puig is a free agent at the end of the year, getting him would be a risky move

Puig would be a mistake. As we saw in the series with Cincy, he still makes poor decisions on the field (e.g., not hitting the cut off man)--like he always has. Even though he has a cannon for an arm, he is a loose cannon personality-wise.

Last edited:

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
So, the trade deadline is a dud so far. I keep waiting for something to break with the the Cardinals, but there just doesn't seem to be any smoke at all. I will be shocked if they don't add a SP and potentially a lefty RP as well.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So, the trade deadline is a dud so far. I keep waiting for something to break with the the Cardinals, but there just doesn't seem to be any smoke at all. I will be shocked if they don't add a SP and potentially a lefty RP as well.

I’m keeping expectations low. Even if they do make some moves, I suspect they will get no-namers or washed up veterans. They don’t want to deal young pieces (of the few they have) and don’t have any veterans who would draw much interest from other teams.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Been listening to a lot of sports talk radio in St. Louis today while at work. Cards front office is getting destroyed by not only the sport talk personalities and fans in St. Louis, but also national MLB analysts. I love it. Mo and Girsch look like a couple of buffoons for sitting tight.

Rumor is that they didn't even bother approaching Arizona or Texas on Robbie Ray or Mike Minor, and balked at a Bader for Wheeler deal with NYM. WTF? We have a thousand outfielders and need SP and you won't give up a dude batting .195 and currently in the minors for a proven SP to make a run? If we were thin on OF, I guess I get it since Wheeler is a FA at the end of the year, but if there is one position that STL is set at, it is OF.

So incredibly disappointed.