World’s largest steam locomotive trekking across Iowa,

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
yeah I think kcrg and kwwl both reported the CR stop as being not open to the public. Then this morning both reported about the crowds with kcrg doing a live report there.
I guess it wasn’t originally not open to the public, so you would expect some are going to show up anyway, unknowingly (few; most people don’t routinely go to rail yard and would have to seek out that information). Then there is the whole 25 foot rule, no trespassing, safety, etc. What a cluster.

Last edited:

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
‘Big Boy’ draws hundreds
Steam locomotive on display in Marshalltown

https://www.timesrepublican.com/news/todays-news/2019/08/big-boy-draws-hundreds/

... Big Boy’s celebrated arrival was a page out of yesteryear when steam locomotives were king and Marshalltown a bustling rail center where several railroads managed freight and passenger business. ...

upload_2019-8-1_7-10-59.jpeg

T-R PHOTO BY MIKE DONAHEY The mammoth steam locomotive “Big Boy” is shown shortly after it pulled up to the Union Pacific Railroad’s South Second Street crossing Wednesday.

Reactions: Acylum

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Marshalltown, Big Boy appears at about 7 minutes

Ankeny and Des Moines

Des Moines

South of Elkhart

KCCI footage

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I got to see 4014 two more times on the return trip. Once in Nevada on Wednesday and about an hour ago at the Doboy in West Ames. No pictures, I just wanted to watch. I've been a railroad fan since I was a little kid and feel pretty lucky that I got to see it four times. I hope they make this an annual trip.

LancelotClone

Apr 18, 2018
Family went while it was at it's Chicago area stop.

They were not predicting the large crowds the locomotive drew, so I'm guessing future plans are being adjusted.

Really amazing to see up close. The local fire department parked their largest fire truck next to it and it was dwarfed by the locomotive.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, that was pretty deceptive, motorcy90. That would bum me out. Sorry about that.

Besides that Friday Gazette article, and that then current, top of the board tweet Monday, the official schedule at the UP Schedule web page still says “No Public Access” under Cedar Rapids.

It didn’t say that originally.

Yet, if you search online, there is a KCRG report on it (which I believe is owned by the same company as The Gazette). They said people (or at least some, I don’t recall) had to park pretty far away, but there were people there. Fewer than would have been, but for the reports. I think that is where they were filming. Yet, the Gazette the next day only had photos from Wheatland and Mount Vernon. I don’t think it was ever officially public access, but they let people in who showed up.

On some of this, for one thing it is new, a train this size anyway, so hopefully UP learns from this and is more consistent or plans better in the future,

Another is probably that some of the sites better accommodate crowds of people than others, with less planning. It sounds like both Des Moines and Cedar Rapids are just regular freight yards, not accustomed to a lot of people. Chicago sounds like it was tied into or at least near the commuter lines that go into the city. Omaha is their corporate headquarters and it seems they have options there.

If they come come back through, I would hope they do a better job in this regard.

North Platte is on the original UP route, and probably covers a bigger geographic area. I believe it was a, or the major hub or crossroads for troops going off to WW2. I think I saw a special once on how well the troops were treated by the locals there. At the same time it is much smaller than Cedar Rapids. Yet it warranted a full fledged stop, including the exhibit.

Not sure there were any cities of similar size they were less prepared for. And, that a large number of people might show up was precisely their concern.
In Saint Paul they had it at Union Station which allowed people to see it from both the platform side or on the gravel on the other side of the tracks. It was a good thing too because there were a hell of a lot of people there.

Reactions: NWICY

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This came by about 30 minutes sooner than I expected and was moving a lot faster than I thought it would. I was checking out where I was going to shoot from and heard the whistle. I had to grab my camera and throw on a lens. Got it on just in time to get a few quick pics.
There were actually people chasing it like they were storm chasers so the pictures I had of it going away were ruined by the dust from the gravel road as they were racing by.

Train.jpg Train2.jpg Train3.jpg

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I accidentally saw it both leaving Council Bluffs and coming back tonight. A bit disappointed in the lack of steam and smoke. I never saw any smoke like in the pictures above. You must of been along I-29 just south of Mormon Bridge road. Did they use the diesel engine for power a lot of the time instead explaining the lack of smoke? Also wish they would have left it a coal burner instead of making it something it never was. Still cool to see though.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I accidentally saw it both leaving Council Bluffs and coming back tonight. A bit disappointed in the lack of steam and smoke. I never saw any smoke like in the pictures above. You must of been along I-29 just south of Mormon Bridge road. Did they use the diesel engine for power a lot of the time instead explaining the lack of smoke? Also wish they would have left it a coal burner instead of making it something it never was. Still cool to see though.
Yes, I was about a mile south of the Mormon Bridge Road on that dirt road that runs along the track. I wanted to use the bluffs as a backdrop.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I believe I read it was burning diesel already in 1961, so they restored it to how it ran before it was retired.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
This came by about 30 minutes sooner than I expected and was moving a lot faster than I thought it would. I was checking out where I was going to shoot from and heard the whistle. I had to grab my camera and throw on a lens. Got it on just in time to get a few quick pics.
There were actually people chasing it like they were storm chasers so the pictures I had of it going away were ruined by the dust from the gravel road as they were racing by.

View attachment 65492 View attachment 65493 View attachment 65494
They look great!!!!!

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
What is everyone's favorite locomotives? Mine is the first generation F units.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Three videos on Kate Shelley Bridge eastbound (none posted going west that I saw),

Big Boy is returning to Southern California for a special passenger excursion Oct. 12-13:
http://www.railgiants.org/Big-Boy-Excursion-Info.php

It was interesting to see national exposure, if I recall correctly and without really looking for it, in Slate, CNN, and a blog, Legal Insurrection, on how popular the Midwest tour was.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
OK, I saw this thing along Hwy 30 in western Iowa. There was a huge lineup of cars traveling along side and the lead car was going like 20 mph just keeping up with it. What an a-hole. My first thought was "don't these people have anything to do on a weekday"? Man, I wouldn't walk across the street to see that.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1 and Clone83

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
OK, I saw this thing along Hwy 30 in western Iowa. There was a huge lineup of cars traveling along side and the lead car was going like 20 mph just keeping up with it. What an a-hole. My first thought was "don't these people have anything to do on a weekday"? Man, I wouldn't walk across the street to see that.
I saw cars chasing it like storm chasers after a tornado