• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Anybody been watching the latest season of Agents of Shield by chance? If so, what are your thoughts so far? I can't wait for the season to finish up where I can bulldoze through the whole thing on Netflix. I'm such an AOS fanboy. To me, it might be my favorite ongoing show I watch, and is easily one of the most underrated shows out there. I hear they have been setting up a possible Ghost Rider return, which would simply put me over the edge. I love what they have done with that character.
It's been pretty good actually. I had my doubts with the initial trailer but so far consistently good to great. This show had a bit of a slow start in the early seasons but really found it's footing and ran with it. Would have loved to see it on the Disney streaming network and tied into the main MCU more. Shame it's the last season.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I actually enjoyed Venom. Maybe it's because I really like Venom Comics and Tom Hardy but it was an enjoyable movie. Was it the best thing ever? No, but it was enjoyable and better than the reviews IMO.

I would love to bring Venom into the MCU.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/veno...dy-serkis-will-direct-upcoming-sequel-a169826

Looks like Tom Hardy is kind of confirming that Andy Serkis will be directing Venom 2. I'm cool with this. I watched Mowgli on Netflix and thought he did a good enough job directing that and the dude has a lot of different experience in all the different areas.

That would be an awesome combination. Venom was never one of my favorite characters growing up, and I felt that the problem with his character was that a "real-world" Venom relies almost completely on CGI and the animators dictating the performance. Getting a director like Serkis involved is going to merge CGI with motion capture performance which is really going to improve the overall product of the film. I have no doubt that Serkis is going to eventually win a lifetime achievement academy award for being the pioneer in motion-captured performance.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
What were your thoughts on Venom? I watched it last night.

It has turned into a guilty pleasure of mine. At first, I didn't really like it and saw a fairly poorly written and directed movie filled with flaws. However, over time, I've learned to have more fun with it for what it is and somewhat ignore the flaws. So, while I don't necessarily consider it a good movie, I now consider it a re-watchable fun one.

Honestly, what we got probably makes sense and somewhat mirrors what Venom is in the comics. I've always considered Todd McFarlane, the creator of Venom, to be a pretty poor storyteller. Just listen to his interviews and the dude pretty much only cares about drawing and creating characters that look cool, which is essentially what he has done with his creations like Venom and Spawn. When it comes to the actual stories for his characters..... eh, fairly weak, and I think both the comics and the way they've forced him into the movies have ended up reflecting that to some level.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It has turned into a guilty pleasure of mine. At first, I didn't really like it and saw a fairly poorly directed movie filled with flaws. However, over time, I've learned to have more fun with it for what it is and somewhat ignore the flaws. So, while I don't necessarily consider it a good movie, I now consider it a re-watchable fun one.

Honestly, what we got probably makes sense and somewhat mirrors what Venom is in the comics. I've always considered Todd McFarlane, the creator of Venom, to be a pretty poor storyteller. Just listen to his interviews and the dude pretty much only cares about drawing and creating characters that look cool, which is essentially what he has done with his creations like Venom and Spawn. When it comes to the actual stories for his characters..... eh, fairly weak, and I think both the comics and the way they've forced him into the movies have ended up reflecting that to some level.
That is exactly how I would describe it. A guilty pleasure/fun watch of a movie. I enjoyed the interactions between Brock and Venom.

• Agree

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
That is exactly how I would describe it. A guilty pleasure/fun watch of a movie. I enjoyed the interactions between Brock and Venom.

With all the dark CGI scenes, it actually looked pretty terrible on the movie screen and likely on most people's televisions. However, its one of those movies where watching it at home on my 65 inch SUHD television in 4K with HDR is a game-changer, and part of why it is so re-watchable. Movies with lots of dark scenes benefit the most from HDR. I can't wait to pick up Godzilla: King of the Monsters on 4K HDR to see what it looks like.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Since you are the only one I know that watches the Runaways. Here is an interesting development.

Yeah, I saw that. They've been hinting at that for a while, but cool to see it is actually going to happen. My guess is that now that Disney has secured 100% ownership of Hulu, it made them more comfortable going all-in on a crossover like this. After just finishing up the latest round of Arrowverse shows on Netflix, I already started back into Season 1 of Cloak and Dagger. While I've already seen S1, it is a short enough season and my memory is scarce enough that I figured I'd just hammer it out again before jumping into Season 2. I enjoyed S1, even though it had its flaws, so I'm hoping S2 is better. Has anyone happened to already watch Cloak and Dagger S2???? If so, what did you think?

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...re-if-wolverine-is-a-realistic-option-a169845

There has been a lot of people lately talking about how they'd want Taron Egerton to play the next Wolverine. Honestly, of all the candidates I see out there at the moment, I'd probably call him my #1 choice too. It would have been Tom Hardy if he were 10 years younger. Anyway, according to this interview, it looks like Egerton is keen to join the MCU at some point. So, even if not for Wolverine, I'd love to see him pick up some type of role. He could be a solid Johnny Storm in my eyes too.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...re-if-wolverine-is-a-realistic-option-a169845

There has been a lot of people lately talking about how they'd want Taron Egerton to play the next Wolverine. Honestly, of all the candidates I see out there at the moment, I'd probably call him my #1 choice too. It would have been Tom Hardy if he were 10 years younger. Anyway, according to this interview, it looks like Egerton is keen to join the MCU at some point. So, even if not for Wolverine, I'd love to see him pick up some type of role. He could be a solid Johnny Storm in my eyes too.

Nice. He's only 5'9 as well so actually Wolverine height.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/blade-mcu-movie-david-leitch-director/

David Leitch, director of John Wick (love), Atomic Blonde (not the biggest fan of), Deadpool 2 (love), and Hobbs and Shaw just went on the record saying he would love to direct the upcoming Blade movie. Personally, I'd be totally on board with this. In particular, Leitch's specialty has been kind of revolutionizing the fight and action game in movies with what he originally brought to John Wick. I'm also a big fan of what he did in Deadpool 2, which unlike most people, I still like even better than the first Deadpool. Granted, I still haven't seen Hobbs and Shaw, and honestly find it to be too cheesey dumb actiony for my tastes, but even if it isn't the next Shawshank, he seems to be giving producers what they were going for with it. So, I would love to see Leitch get a chance with Blade as his action specialty would likely be the perfect pairing for that movie. We all remember how the first Blade movies revolutionized the action genre.

One thing many people don't realize with Leitch as well is that he already has a history with Marvel and Marvel Studios being a second unit action director for movies like Civil War and The Wolverine. I think we can all agree that one thing those movies do right is their action sequences, and Leitch was the biggest guy behind those. Marvel Studios in particular is notorious for using second-unit directors for directing most of the action sequences in their movies, and Leitch's long history as a stuntman has obviously helped him a bunch.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yeah, I saw that. They've been hinting at that for a while, but cool to see it is actually going to happen. My guess is that now that Disney has secured 100% ownership of Hulu, it made them more comfortable going all-in on a crossover like this. After just finishing up the latest round of Arrowverse shows on Netflix, I already started back into Season 1 of Cloak and Dagger. While I've already seen S1, it is a short enough season and my memory is scarce enough that I figured I'd just hammer it out again before jumping into Season 2. I enjoyed S1, even though it had its flaws, so I'm hoping S2 is better. Has anyone happened to already watch Cloak and Dagger S2???? If so, what did you think?
I finished the series, they phoned in the end a bit but pretty decent. First season was the best imo.

• Informative

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I finished the series, they phoned in the end a bit but pretty decent. First season was the best imo.

I thought they phoned in the ending on the first season a bit too. I remember really digging the first season, but ended up docking it quite a bit for not sticking the landing.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I mean, marvel having a message is nothing new, i mean, look at the blatant messages in X-Men

I think too often lately a certain segment of people are going out of their way to look for that message, and then get pissed that someone is sending any message, instead of maybe listening to that message- especially since theyre usually the ones that need to hear it the most.

Marvel and Star Trek are original civil rights in entertainment leaders going back to the 60s.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Avengers: Endgame is now officially available for purchase digitally. Anybody pick it up yet? I haven't, as I always wait a few extra weeks for the 4K Blu Ray version to come out where I get both the physical and digital copy. Yes, I'm that guy still. I can't wait!!!

Now that most all the old MCU movies are popping up now on 4K blu ray, I've been in the process of slowly upgrading to those as well. The key has been going slowly and shimmying them in without my wife noticing that I'm actually buying all the same movies again. Yes, to a lot of people, this sounds stupid, but this has always just been my thing. I love collecting these movies in the best format available. My latest was grabbing the 4K version of The Incredible Hulk during the Amazon Prime days sale.

Ditto on physical.

I think it's not even truthful to tell people they're "buying" a copy unless they get an option to sell it somehow.

I've sold thousands of dollars of games and movies. It's a massive hidden cost to consumers that this has disappeared.