MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Mo' rainy day ramblings...............

Still thinking the trade deadline deals are going to be very anti-climatic. Several of the bigger starting pitchers names are not going to be on the market now as some teams have climbed back into contention. No Verlander to Astro's level stuff here.

I, of course, am thinking mostly Yanks but think it applies across the board. Teams are asking just stupid returns. The Jays opening with "How about Gleyber Torres AND your #1 pitching prospect Deivi Garcia" for a middling rotation guy just highlighting how not serious some of the teams are. Detroit previously asked for Torres in Boyd trade talks. Hell, why not ask for Sanchez and Judge to? :rolleyes:
Marlins did the same with Realmuto last year. All conversations with Atlanta regarding Realmuto included Acuña. You can imagine where the Atlanta front office told them to shove that delusion.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Marlins did the same with Realmuto last year. All conversations with Atlanta regarding Realmuto included Acuña. You can imagine where the Atlanta front office told them to shove that delusion.

Just seems silly doesn't it.

If it was a video conference I am guessing the Marlins lost sight of the Braves staff for a few minutes as they were rolling on the floor laughing. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
So Trevor Bauer just threw the temper tantrum of the year...

I can't imagine chucking the ball over the centerfield fence going over very well with an old dog like Francona. He threw the ball into the netting behind home just before this while the play was dead. What a child.

Can't wait for Jomboy to get a hold of this one @stormchaser2014 lol

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, Marcus Stroman thought he going to get traded to NY.

He just didn't think it would be Mets. o_O

Mets get to block Stroman for the Yanks and now will probably trade Wheeler to an AL team, just not to the Yanks of course.

Edit: Doesn't sound like Stroman was very happy with the trade. Jays had the locker room closed after the game and apparently it was because of Marcus.

The reason seems to be Stroman. A source told The Post’s Mike Puma that Stroman reacted with disappointment that he had not been traded to a contender. Stroman thought he would go to the Yankees, Red Sox or Astros. That comports with reporting from the Toronto Sun’s Rob Longley, who said the pitcher’s reaction to the trade was “not pretty.”

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Even though the Indians got some nice return, it's still hard to believe they would trade the quality of pitching in Bauer.
As a Twins fan, I'm glad they pulled the trigger.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Even though the Indians got some nice return, it's still hard to believe they would trade the quality of pitching in Bauer.
As a Twins fan, I'm glad they pulled the trigger.
It's a really weird trade off. Bauer is having a good year. Maybe they see something in decline with him? And Puig is mediocre. I guess he brings some power, but also brings his clubhouse attitude.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It's a really weird trade off. Bauer is having a good year. Maybe they see something in decline with him? And Puig is mediocre. I guess he brings some power, but also brings his clubhouse attitude.
I know Puig had some issues in LA at times, but he's been great in the clubhouse this year. The fans in Cincy love him. My perception is that he's matured quite a bit.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz

Reds are a bunch of punk *** *******! Enjoy Puig, Cleveland.

The Braves were rumored to be in on Puig for a bit and I think half of Atlanta was praying it didn't happen. I didn't want him influencing our young Latin American guys like Acuña and Albies who play hard, play right, and have a lot fun doing it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Morning IL check. Luke Voit not on IL but likely headed there. MRI after leaving game last night. :oops:

This weekend's four game set with Red Sox, includes a double header, could be ugly. Yankee have half the team on IL again and trying to get by with only four starters and bullpen days. .600 plus ball just isn't sustainable with the number of missing guys and lack of starters. 16 games in August against contenders with three being at Dodgers.

If they blow the division lead it will be less epic collapse than just the end of odds defying magic and rabbits out of a hat from previously unheralded secondary players.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, ****, Luke Voit to IL with sports hernia. Probably surgery and done for the year. Unbelievable.

15 guys on IL plus LeMahieu unavailable till maybe this weekend (trying to keep him off IL).

Seriously, I'll say less than 50% odds they can hang on to division at this point. At this point Red Sox can field a much better day-to-day lineup except for the bullpen.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tick tock on the trade deadline.

Sounds like Milwaukee has something brewing with the Giants.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

1:27pm: ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets that hard-throwing righty Ray Black will also go to Milwaukee.

1:25pm: Lefty Drew Pomeranz is one player headed to the Brewers in the swap, tweets Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. If the Brewers are parting with a prospect of Dubon’s caliber, there’ll surely be other names in play.

1:23pm: The Brewers ad Giants are in agreement on a “significant” trade, reports Robert Murray of The Athletic (via Twitter). The big league players involved in the swap remain unknown, but well-regarded second base prospect Mauricio Dubon is headed from Milwaukee to San Francisco as part of the exchange. Madison Bumgarner is *not* going to Milwaukee, tweets MLB Network’s Jon Heyman.

More to come.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I'm so sick of Luke Jackson's bs. If Atlanta doesn't trade for a closer I'll be slightly pissed. Especially with the Washington making all kinds of moves. Jackson sucks.

Edit: Well, at least the front office still has an hour to make a trade. Maybe seeing the bullpen blow the lead in the bottom of the 9th will make them pick up a freakin' phone.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
36yoii.jpg

Damn, those guys know how to deadline trade. Yanks, who had the most need, weren't able to do a damn thing. First Verlander in 2017 and now Greinke. Gotta tip my hat to those guys.. Going to be odds on favs to get to the WS. Their pitching is already really good and they are healthy and playing great ball.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Damn, those guys know how to deadline trade. Yanks, who had the most need, weren't able to do a damn thing. First Verlander in 2017 and now Greinke. Gotta tip my hat to those guys.. Going to be odds on favs to get to the WS. Their pitching is already really good and they are healthy and playing great ball.

Damn, like that rotation wasn't already good enough.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Damn, like that rotation wasn't already good enough.

Yank fans are melting down in comment sections online but they're being kind of dumb. Yankees error might have been in not being more aggressive in the off season (although they never thought they would be without Luis Severino all season). Not much for them at the deadline. Guys like Greinke had Yanks on his no trade list as did some others. Other than the Houston blockbuster most of the deals where pretty minor with respect to the races. Odd that the Mets sort of spited themselves on Wheeler, guess they are content with a draft choice when they lose him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron