MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was at the I Cubs game Sunday, Hamels struck out the first batter then had a rough stretch getting hit hard for 3 runs including back to back homers before he got out of the first. Norwood came in next and gave up 3 hits 2 runs and a HR to 1 K in an inning of work. He was hitting 97 on the radar at times so he has a live fastball but for some reason seems like he hasn't quite panned out yet. Oh then Carl Edwards comes in the 7th and proceeds to walk the first batter he faces on 5 pitches, ends the inning giving up a hit, a run, and 2 walks with no K's. Pretty sure he'll be down in Iowa until September call ups as the guy in front of me and I were both laughing when he walked the first batter that's exactly why he's down in Iowa right now.

Don't know anything about this Phelps kid but he surely can't be any worse than a lot of the guys we have run out there lately. I'd love to address the leadoff spot with a trade too but I am not very optimistic they'll be able to pull off a trade that brings back a player that would have an impact.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Interesting post from Outside the Ivy shifting blame to the Front Office. Remember, it was the front office that said our offense was broke at the end of last year and decided to only add Descalso.

Part of me thinks the FO intentionally has set Joe up for failure in that they refused to extend him and refused to fix what was broke. No, I don’t think they want to lose, but I do think if we miss out on the postseason, Joes gone and all the sudden Theo and Jed decide to make some moves again

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Interesting post from Outside the Ivy shifting blame to the Front Office. Remember, it was the front office that said our offense was broke at the end of last year and decided to only add Descalso.

Part of me thinks the FO intentionally has set Joe up for failure in that they refused to extend him and refused to fix what was broke. No, I don’t think they want to lose, but I do think if we miss out on the postseason, Joes gone and all the sudden Theo and Jed decide to make some moves again

Someone made the point that the other day that there's no way the FO doesn't already have their minds made up on Joe. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them let him go if they drop 2-3 games behind to try to give the team a kick in the ***. I

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I think Joe is gone at end of the year and I think he wants to be. Has already been talk he ends up with the Giants or Mets.

Last edited:

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I see a very similar end to the season coming this year as we saw last year.

I can't come up with any scenario (even winning it all) where Joe is back next year. I am obviously not in the clubhouse, but I just don't get the feel that Joe is working for this group of guys anymore. He also isn't the same Joe he was before. I don't know how to quantify it, but it isn't the same. His routine doesn't seem to resonate with these guys anymore.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
MLB Network offers trade scenario of Hamilton and Merrifield for Alzolay, Happ, and Almora.

This would be great for at least four reasons.

1. Cubs get a reliable leadoff hitter

2. Joe gets his pinch runner

3. Makes next offseason moves way easy - all you have to do is extend the young bats. Hoerner goes to second, Merrifield, Schwarber, Heyward make up the outfield.

4. Gives Hoerner a leadoff guy to learn from

Yet for some reason, I think the front office would prefer the bench outfielders more than Merrifield

• Informative
Reactions: Walden4Prez

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I see a very similar end to the season coming this year as we saw last year.

I can't come up with any scenario (even winning it all) where Joe is back next year. I am obviously not in the clubhouse, but I just don't get the feel that Joe is working for this group of guys anymore. He also isn't the same Joe he was before. I don't know how to quantify it, but it isn't the same. His routine doesn't seem to resonate with these guys anymore.

The FO also told him, in a more polite way, to cut the ****. The Athletic had an article about it, I can’t remember everything, but I do know Joe didn’t really give two ***** if anyone came to batting practice or not but the FO finally stepped in and said that’s mandatory

• Funny
Reactions: CyJack13

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
MLB Network offers trade scenario of Hamilton and Merrifield for Alzolay, Happ, and Almora.

3. Makes next offseason moves way easy - all you have to do is extend the young bats. Hoerner goes to second, Merrifield, Schwarber, Heyward make up the outfield.

Yet for some reason, I think the front office would prefer the bench outfielders more than Merrifield

That's an absolute no brainer.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

The Cubs take that deal in a second. The Royals? I'm not so sure.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Merrifield would be a solid pickup and gives the Cubs a traditional leadoff hitter. It also solves the uncertainty at 2B. I was big on Garcia but knew that wouldn’t last.

The Cubs have so many options this off-season with money coming off the books, signing the young guys, and starting over with the bullpen. It will be interesting to see what they do today and in the offseason. Gotta decline the option on Morrow to go get a middle of the pack starter to take Hamels’ spot

Dream 2020 opening day lineup:

1) Merrifield 2B $5M
2) Baez SS $13.2 M
3) Bryant 3B $18.5 M
4) Rizzo 1B $14.5 M
5) Contreras C $3.2 M
6) Castellanos RF $13.5M (backloaded)
7) Schwarber LF $5.9 M
8) Almora CF $1.3M
9) Lester P $27.5 M

Miracle: Cubs dump Hayward contract to big market team for table scrap reliever.

Bench:

Bote
Descalsco
Almora
Caratini
Happ

SP:

Hendricks
Bumgarner
Quintana
Roark

Miracle: Darvish retires from baseball.