The Boys on Amazon Prime

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Anybody else watch The Boys on Amazon Prime? I binged it over the weekend and thought it was fantastic. A dark and absolutely hilarious take on the superhero genre. The story was interesting and the acting was surprisingly good all around. Karl Urban is a legend.

I LOVE me some Karl Urban... It looks fantastic and will start it today.

Been watching Last Czar (netflix) which is reasonable well done... About the Romanovs so it's a little docudrama but is interspersed with historians putting things into context.

Also - The Big Hack is a SCARY documentary about how we've long ago given up privacy and are at the whim of anyone trying to manipulate you.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I binged it this weekend too. Not a show for younger eyes in my opinion. What a refreshing way to look at superheroes! They depart from the comics, but in a good way.

The running “Aquaman” jokes were hysterical, I thought.

I understand that they are shooting season 2 right now. Looking forward to it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn’t heard of it and just watched the trailer. Looks hilarious and awesome. Will be checking it out.

Reactions: DeftOne

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Would I get it if I'm not that into superheroes?
I think that would actually make you get it even more.

It's a completely refreshing take on superhero culture. It really makes you think about just how crazy life would be in a world with real living supes. Nothing is sanitized in this series, the supe's powers are on full display, and the brutality of their interactions with normal people is shocking at times.

I loved it. Once things were set (about midway through the first episode, which did lag a bit at times) I couldn't stop watching.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm into it for 5 episodes and it's shocking, funny, dark, gritty, pure, and a bunch of other words... Urban is funny and the cast is really good. I'm not a superhero guy but these characters are all conflicted... If you like your sterotype politics in your super hero stories pay attention to the caricature of a caricature that is Homelander...

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I have been listening to the comic summary's on youtube and it's quite a ride. Very pessimistic and perhaps far more based in reality regarding the morality of a person with super abilities. I will definitely watch the series eventually.
the airplane moment which was pretty watered down in the show is a prime example of just how easy it would be to make a bad situation worse when you wield that level of power paired with the mind of a sociopath.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'll have to give this a try, I am so tired of all the superhero movies. I literally fall asleep in them.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
5 episodes in. It is really well done. I certainly don't think you have to like superhero movies to enjoy it and if you are a huge Superman fan and that is the only comic hero you like, don't watch it, because this is the exact opposite of that.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it, though Karl Urban was great and the dude playing Homelander. Pretty abrupt ending though, thankfully there is going to be a season 2.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I enjoyed it and I'm not a superhero guy at all. This is totally different, and refreshing.

Is it just me or does it look like Urban and Brad Pitt could be brothers...or at least cousins? I think it's the mouth or something.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I finished it last night, and I thought it was great. There were some parts I laughed a lot. I wont say which due to not wanting to give any spoilers, but one in particular was in episode 5 in the hospital (hopefully that doesn't give anything away, but for those that watched it will know what I am talking about). Also I think Homelander's character is a great take on extremely powerful supes, and how we are really powerless to stop them. I read that they are trying to keep it grounded which is why they don't have any Thor style characters from outer space. In the comics they have them, but they strategically kept them out of the show. In the comics one of the 7 is a Thor like character, but they replaced him with Translucent in the show.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I enjoyed it and I'm not a superhero guy at all. This is totally different, and refreshing.

Is it just me or does it look like Urban and Brad Pitt could be brothers...or at least cousins? I think it's the mouth or something.

youve-gota-purdy-mouth-boy-memes-com-15206590.png

• Funny
Reactions: cygrads

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
After first episode it is already the best tv series remotely connected to super heroes. Off the charts.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Read the comics in college and was ecstatic that a TV series was being created. Loved the show, and appreciated the fact that they brought Simon Pegg to play Hughie's dad. Show went its' own way, but still kept a good amount of the callbacks from the comics.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Just finished it too. Thought it was really good! Agree on the abrupt ending, no doubt there will be a season 2.

Amazon Prime has some great shows.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron