Would You Welcome Missouri and Nebraska Back to the Big 12?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Would You Vote Mizzou or Nebby Back In?

• Total voters

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I love playing everyone in FB and 2x in basketball.

I love 10 teams much more than when we were a 'true' Big12.

I don't miss either one enough to bring them back.
I don't think either one made a better situation for themselves.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I love playing everyone in FB and 2x in basketball.

I love 10 teams much more than when we were a 'true' Big12.

I don't miss either one enough to bring them back.
I don't think either one made a better situation for themselves.
giphy.gif

Reactions: xr4ticlone

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Both Nebraska and Missouri got tired of playing "second fiddle" to Texas, so Nebraska decided to be about sixth-fiddle (behind OSU, Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, and Iowa) and Missouri decided to be about 10th fiddle (behind Alabama and essentially the rest of the SEC) and destabilized the Big 12 to the point of near collapse in the process.

Not only no to both, but screw both. Enjoy being the prostitutes of your current conference overlords that you are.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Something about having a geographical area known as Big 12 country appeals to me, the Mississippi to the Rockies (ditch WVU). Also having only public schools (ditch Baylor and TCU. Identify schools that meet these qualifications that have history with the Big 12 (add back A&M, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebby). Desire 12 members in the Big 12 so identify 1 more that fits Arkansas, Minnesota, Iowa, LSU, ColoSt (Vote for Arkansas due to best geography and history with SWC).

Nothing in this thread is going to happen, so if you're going to dream then dream big!

I know that's just a dream scenario for fun, but no way I want A&M back. In fact, of the four defectors, that'd be my last choice. Plus (1) they'd never leave SEC by choice (2) they fit SEC better anyway.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
TexasA&M seemed to find its SEC identity quickly to me. CU seems to me to fit the PAC as well as the Big12. I thought Nebby in any conference without the old Big8 teams would be weird, but someone gave me the line that they fit right in with the B1G because neither has been relevant since the 90s. Now I see them as just another overrated has been team.

Teams that do not fit in their new conference:
WVU - Complete outlier to the Big 12 footprint.
Missouri - I'll never adjust to think of them as SEC.
Rutgers/Maryland - Both look like terrible adds in hindsight... and foresight to everyone but the B1G.

I would add a few from ACC, mainly for geographic reasons:
Notre Dame (although football is only informal "member")
Pitt, sort of (but where else could they go when Big East FB dissolved? Obviously Big Ten wasn't gonna take 'em).
Louisville (again, they'd take a landing-place anywhere, so I don't blame them for accepting invite).

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Remember - If NE came back to the Big 12, that would re- open the recruiting channel for them in TX. I'd just as soon not have their recruiting competition in TX.
They lost that pipeline and it would take time for them to get it back.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Only about 2/3 of high school students in Iowa take the ACT while 100% of Minnesota high schoolers do. Since generally it is the brightest students taking it when there is not full participation this isn't a good measure. But if adjusted for participation:

2016:
Minnesota's raw score/adjusted score: 22.9 / 23.04
Iowa's raw score / adjusted score: 22.0 / 21.49
*Note that in 2016 Minnesota's raw score was higher than Iowa's as well.

See the link. Note that the first table is SAT, the second ACT.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-and-act-scores-by-stated-adjusted-for-participation-rate
Who cares, you went full out nerd on a football thread.....

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
My vote for Missouri is mostly because all my friends and family who are Mizzou fans never wanted to go SEC. Their admin really ignored much of their fanbase. Of course my network is KC based, so I think their perspective may differ from the St Louis crowd. But Mizzou is in a tail spin as a uni over racial issues and may never recover.

Nebby fans and admins seemed holier than thou, and still are. Good riddance.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I know that's just a dream scenario for fun, but no way I want A&M back. In fact, of the four defectors, that'd be my last choice. Plus (1) they'd never leave SEC by choice (2) they fit SEC better anyway.

Totally agree that they'd never leave the SEC and the seem a better fit there. Of the 4 defectors they'd be my last choice from the stand point of who I want to watch the cyclones play in sports, but they'd be my first choice when looking at which adds prestige to the conference and has potential to increase revenue for the cyclones.

From a stand point of teams I'd love watching the Clones play, my dream conference would be a combo of the old Big 8 and the current B1G West... that would be a terrible conference for revenue, but I'd enjoy the games.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If it meant a more stable Big 12 long term I'd take them back. To be honest I'd rather take Colorado back first before either of them. Would be nice to get schools that are geographically close back in the conference again because let's face it Nebraska and Mizzou are much more natural rivals for ISU than the ones we've had to forge with KSU and WVU in their absence. I still would prefer if we went back to 12 schools to add 2 from a group of Louisville, Cincinnati, Arizona, or Arizona State because if WV stays in the Big 12 a school between us and them makes sense geographically and if we are going to add a school from a southern state would prefer not to be another Texas school like Houston so one of the 2 major schools from Arizona sure would be appealing.

I do like the 10 team everybody plays everybody format and as long as the Big 12 can sustain that there is no need for expansion. I think these conferences racing to get to 14 or 16 team conferences have watered down their product for the sake of television eyeballs. Big 10 especially didn't add anything but East coast viewers when they added Maryland and Rutgers who are the new doormats of the conference. That is a prime example why if the Big 12 went back to 12 teams it has to be the right 2 schools that can consistently compete and add some value other than television to the conference.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I think CU returning is actually the least plausible move (of all these implausible moves) even though the Big 12 could make a better $$$ pitch. From what I've heard CU's alumni base is very, very California heavy. And for years and years they've had more affinity for CA than any Big 8 or SWC school / state. Imo, CU "belongs" in it's new conference more than any other schools that moved.
While this may be true... they can't all be so old that they don't remember a time when other teams in their conference could play football. Right? I'd have to believe they'd like to actually have a football program again. And real rivals.