Would You Welcome Missouri and Nebraska Back to the Big 12?

Would You Vote Mizzou or Nebby Back In?

• Total voters

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Would rather have Colorado back than either of Missouri or Nebraska. I don't want Nebraska back as long as Fred is coaching there. Would welcome road trips to Columbus though.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There are enough big donors interested in keeping Bama on top that they would eventually be at a similar, but possibly slightly lower level, soon after Saban retires. It's not called the $EC for nothing.

Alabama football is very similar to Nebraska football, in that it's the only show in the state. The advantage for Alabama over Nebraksa is that they actually have football talent readily available in the region, and their success has occurred more consistently and within the last 20 years.

As for the SEC as a whole, I think they will always be good regardless of Bama's dominance. They have a ridiculous amount of talent down there, and a LOT of high quality programs devoted to football success. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, even Tennessee. All of these programs spend a crap ton on football and have the financial backing, and fan support to do so. Even when a few of them are down, the rest are still solid to spectacular. The SEC is the top football brand for a good reason. They move the needle and they win games.

Ummmm Auburn may have a few things to say about that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think some of you think too emotionally about this. Mizzou and Nebraska did what was best for them business-wise. There are a lot of contradictory stories as to who initiated what, but at the end of the day they made the move that made the most sense in the media environment of the day, when they had short windows in which to pull the trigger. If they wanted to come back, the best business decision would probably be to let them. Particularly over the next few years, that kind of move would probably ensure the conference was safe from realignment shenanigans during the upcoming round of media negotiations.

Reactions: CascadeClone

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Would rather have Colorado back than either of Missouri or Nebraska. I don't want Nebraska back as long as Fred is coaching there. Would welcome road trips to Columbus though.
I agree with Colorado & lump them together with CSU. I'd be much more amenable to getting Mizzu back vs kNU. Although, I'd rather have delusional Huskers over the BU Rapists/Murderers!! Kicking BU out of the conference would be a dream come true!!!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree with Colorado & lump them together with CSU. I'd be much more amenable to getting Mizzu back vs kNU. Although, I'd rather have delusional Huskers over the BU Rapists/Murderers!! Kicking BU out of the conference would be a dream come true!!!
Packaging Colorado and CSU does nothing for the league, IMO.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Colorado and CSU are terrible adds, especially as a pair.

Hardly anyone in Colorado cared about them while they were here, no one felt like they were a big loss when they left. CSU is even less in demand.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy and cyhiphopp

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Colorado and CSU are terrible adds, especially as a pair.

Hardly anyone in Colorado cared about them while they were here, no one felt like they were a big loss when they left. CSU is even less in demand.
Denver area is like Minneapolis. Pro sports town big time.

Which is unfortunate because the number of ISU alums out there.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I don't understand people's desire to add CSU to the Big 12. I don't want to promote any more schools to the P5. I think it hurts the standing of the Big 12.

CSU may be a great school, and a great place to visit. Let's play em in the non-con, but don't give anyone else a seat at the big kids table. ISU has been in question for their seat for too long to give one to anyone else.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Denver area is like Minneapolis. Pro sports town big time.

Which is unfortunate because the number of ISU alums out there.

Yep. No one gives a **** outside of the people actually at the school.

Minnesota is worse because they have hockey to compete with as well as other pro sports.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
No to both. Missouri fans loudly chanting "SEC" after they won the Big 12 basketball tournament in their last year is really my only reason for never wanting them back. But it's a reason. Nebraska doesn't need an explanation.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Is there a specific reason behind the obvious ($$$) that no one brings LSU up? They make almost as much geographical sense as Arkansas and more so I believe than the Arizona schools. Plus the shadows Texas and Oklahoma cast are a lot shorter than Bama and Georgia's

• Agree
Reactions: Scruff

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think some of you think too emotionally about this. Mizzou and Nebraska did what was best for them business-wise. There are a lot of contradictory stories as to who initiated what, but at the end of the day they made the move that made the most sense in the media environment of the day, when they had short windows in which to pull the trigger. If they wanted to come back, the best business decision would probably be to let them. Particularly over the next few years, that kind of move would probably ensure the conference was safe from realignment shenanigans during the upcoming round of media negotiations.
This is why of all the implausible realigment scenarios the most plausible is the AZ schools coming to the big 12. If we can't compete with B1G or SEC money NU and MU are out. Methzoo will be an also-ran to a nobody in perpetuity as long as they are getting paid.

The AZ schools aren't original Pac schools so if the big 12 can make a decent $$$ offer plus get them into CST games they might jump.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Is there a specific reason behind the obvious ($$$) that no one brings LSU up? They make almost as much geographical sense as Arkansas and more so I believe than the Arizona schools. Plus the shadows Texas and Oklahoma cast are a lot shorter than Bama and Georgia's

If we still had A&M LSU would be a fantastic add. Lock the Houston area down and have them play the Aggies or even the Longhorns at the Texans stadium. But they have too much history and cheddar in the SEC to leave.

Arkansas would be an almost perfect fit, but the time to add them was 30 years ago.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Something about having a geographical area known as Big 12 country appeals to me, the Mississippi to the Rockies (ditch WVU). Also having only public schools (ditch Baylor and TCU. Identify schools that meet these qualifications that have history with the Big 12 (add back A&M, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebby). Desire 12 members in the Big 12 so identify 1 more that fits Arkansas, Minnesota, Iowa, LSU, ColoSt (Vote for Arkansas due to best geography and history with SWC).

Nothing in this thread is going to happen, so if you're going to dream then dream big!

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
You all are talking about these schools like they're some kind of self contained entities that disrespected the Big 12. In actuality it was a few people in leadership positions at each school that made the decision to leave, not the "school" itself or the fanbase.

To hold a grudge against an entire school for the decision of a few people seems really dumb to me

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Macloney and Peter

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Something about having a geographical area known as Big 12 country appeals to me, the Mississippi to the Rockies (ditch WVU). Also having only public schools (ditch Baylor and TCU. Identify schools that meet these qualifications that have history with the Big 12 (add back A&M, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebby). Desire 12 members in the Big 12 so identify 1 more that fits Arkansas, Minnesota, Iowa, LSU, ColoSt (Vote for Arkansas due to best geography and history with SWC).

Nothing in this thread is going to happen, so if you're going to dream then dream big!

This does seem like the dream scenario, and however unlikely, it would be pretty easy to achieve a watered down version by swapping Baylor with Houston and replacing WVU with CU. Not sure who you replace TCU with in this case though. CSU isn't really comparable the way CU is to WVU and Houston is to Baylor.

Last edited:

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I appreciate the civil discourse here. JP4Cy, Hiphopp, Alarson - your points are well taken. To be clear, I am in no way advocating to add anybody to our conference (except for my desire to REPLACE Baylor ASAP!). CU and CSU would not add to "butts in the seats" but, selfishly, Colorado is one of my favorite places to visit & would love to make annual treks over there to see my Cyclones!