Would You Welcome Missouri and Nebraska Back to the Big 12?

Would You Vote Mizzou or Nebby Back In?

• Total voters

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Nice historical reference. Somebody once said that if Iowa ceded the bottom two tiers of counties to Missouri, the average IQ of both states would go up 10 points. (apologies to those in those counties, I'm just repeating)

You can almost hear everyone on the highway crack a beer just as soon as you're south of 34.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I would. But of the not likely realignment moves where the big 12 takes on two P5 teams I like the AZ schools defecting to us.

I can't believe the Methzoo admin and fans don't miss KU and a presence in KC. But if SEC $$$ is as good as they say, they're not coming back...

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Absolutely. Even better would be adding those two and getting rid of Baylor and West Virginia.

I'm on board with this thought process. Regardless of how I hate Missouri for how they left and created the realignment mess and how much I hate their fan base here in KC, I would rather have closer rivals. Neither would scare me in terms of competition either. Missouri would probably be equal to or a step down from WVU, and Nebby could possibly be comparable to Baylor if their coaches can turn things around.

I don't really mind WVU, but kicking Bayor out would be the cherry on top.

• Agree
Reactions: Cdiedrick

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
IMO nostalgia went out the window during realignment and at this point it is what it is. I personally find it hilarious that Mizzou will never have an identity in the SEC and now Nebraska is just another team.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Absolutely! Having games you can travel to and nearby fans you can interact with is what made college sports so much fun. The super conferences/expansion has watered down the product from that standpoint.

• Agree
Reactions: Cdiedrick

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I don't understand the "Missouri only" responses. They're the ones who screwed the conference the most.

To me it's not really about revenge. I just think Mizzou fits the Big12, at least geographically. They are a border state in the direction of our conference, and there is a decent amount of history with ISU and Mizzou (telephone trophy, Stormin Norman, etc). They don't move the needle on brand as much as Nebby. They prob have more TVs than actual eyeballs, compared to Nebby. But I would be OK with them. And maybe it helps pull Arkansas back in the future.

I went with NOT Nebraska because barf. I'd rather have Colorado than Nebby at this point. MUCH rather.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Remember - If NE came back to the Big 12, that would re- open the recruiting channel for them in TX. I'd just as soon not have their recruiting competition in TX.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Did Missouri show up well for the Big12 tournament? I can't remember. You know Nebraska fans wouldn't ever show up. Even if Hoiberg somehow makes them relevant, basketball is just a side sport until spring football.
Nebraska rarely showed up. Mizzou showed up but not as much as they could/should have.

• Informative

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Remember - If NE came back to the Big 12, that would re- open the recruiting channel for them in TX. I'd just as soon not have their recruiting competition in TX.
Well their in the big 10 now and it seems we can do pretty well for ourselves in Ohio so....

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Absolutely. Even better would be adding those two and getting rid of Baylor and West Virginia.
Agree but add Mizoo and Arky - no offense to WV but they are way outside the footprint. I know the history of Mizoo but rather them than Nebraska and the obnoxious fanbase.

• Creative

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
https://blog.prepscholar.com/act-scores-by-state-averages-highs-and-lows

The difference being Missouri actually scores lower than Iowa on ACT testing. The same can't be said for Iowa vs. Minnesota because Minnesota scores lower than Iowa on ACT testing as well.

But Minnesotans probably aren't bright enough to realize
I had to look this up and 2017 had Iowa at 19, (wtf happened to our ACT scores?), Minnesota 24, Missouri 32, and Arkansas 45, (Louisiana actually messes the trend up with a 44). Another interesting stat is that Iowa is the only one that doesn't have 100% participation, 67%. Which is odd since ACT is headquartered here. My sister worked there over 30 years.

But if you look at SAT it is much different, same 2017 statistics.
Minnesota is #1, Iowa 3, and Missouri at 4, with Arkansas and Louisiana not taking SAT apparently. https://magoosh.com/hs/sat/sat-scores/2018/average-sat-scores-by-state-how-does-your-state-stack-up/

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Nebraska is never ever coming back now that they are making full conf share.. Mizzou I think every single Mizzou b-ball fan wishes they never left big 12.. as for sec fball.. sec better hope Saban never retires bc when he does Bama won’t be the same.. if it weren’t for Saban and Georgia emergence the SEC might be 3rd in TV revenue..

There are enough big donors interested in keeping Bama on top that they would eventually be at a similar, but possibly slightly lower level, soon after Saban retires. It's not called the $EC for nothing.

Alabama football is very similar to Nebraska football, in that it's the only show in the state. The advantage for Alabama over Nebraksa is that they actually have football talent readily available in the region, and their success has occurred more consistently and within the last 20 years.

As for the SEC as a whole, I think they will always be good regardless of Bama's dominance. They have a ridiculous amount of talent down there, and a LOT of high quality programs devoted to football success. Bama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, A&M, even Tennessee. All of these programs spend a crap ton on football and have the financial backing, and fan support to do so. Even when a few of them are down, the rest are still solid to spectacular. The SEC is the top football brand for a good reason. They move the needle and they win games.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
when everything moves to a subscription format, which of them would get above average revenue from subscribers? My guess would be that Nebraska’s fans would bring up the average while Mizzou’s would drag it down, but I could be wrong too. So from a pure $ standpoint I’d welcome Nebraska back and pass on Missouri in an either/or situation. But I’d also be happy with booting Baylor for Missouri if we got Nebraska to come back and bring a North-South balance back while decreasing # of Texas school membership.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This can't be overstated and probably applies even more to Missouri.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Nebraska rarely showed up. Mizzou showed up but not as much as they could/should have.

Missouri showed up when hey were relevant but otherwise their presence was pretty underwhelming. Mizzou may have one of the most wishy washy t-shirt wearing fan base in the country.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron