Sprayed by skunk

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So last night our dog had the unfortunate event of being sprayed by a skunk. Somehow, my girlfriend didnt realize it before the dog was in the house, so the house still has the slight smell of skunk cause we have cleaned and had the windows open all day. Anybody have the same unfortunate event happen? How did you remove the scent from the home and the dog?

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Been there, done that... 1/4 cup of Arm and Hammer baking soda mixed with a quart of hydrogen peroxide and a little Dawn dish soap works great. There will be some residual smell for a week or so, but it will get better over time. Fortunately, I caught my dog right at the front door.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
robinson_carbonblst.jpg
To my surprise this worked instantly with no residual odor on my brother's dog. It did turn her white hair dark gray for a while though.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I got two old large cans of tomato juice and poured off the top of it so it was more of a paste and it worked great. Just FYI if the dog gets wet it will smell 100%. My brother is laws golden took a direct shot to the face he had to sleep outside if he got in the lake.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So a little update, the house still stinks and our dog still has some smell to her. She got sprayed on the side of her face and neck, so we think it probably got in her nasal passage which cause some of the smell. We she has had 6 baths in 2 days and nothing has really worked to remove smell totally. We did tomatoe juice, the baking soda mix, along with vanilla extract. My girlfriend bought some spray stuff that her mom told her they used to use on their dog, so we will see if that works.

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So a little update, the still stinks and our dog still has some smell to her. She got sprayed on the side of her face and neck, so we think it probably got in her nasal passage which cause some of the smell. We she has had 6 baths in 2 days and nothing has really worked to remove smell totally. We did tomatoe juice, the baking soda mix, along with vanilla extract. My girlfriend bought some spray stuff that her mom told her they used to use on their dog, so we will see if that works.
The dawn, peroxide and baking soda blend will work but it takes a few attempts. They also recommend after giving it to your dog you rewash them with baby shampoo to keep their skin from severely drying out. All those chemicals will severely dry skin. You also have to be careful around the face.

The reason it is such a problem is skunks glands have thiophenol as the active odorant, which is detectable in PPT(parts per trillion) levels. It is also oil based which is why all these mild acids and oxidants are most effective, but it still takes time.

Reactions: Scott34