If you were JP....

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Didn’t bother to read the OP if I were Jamie Pollard I would go out to dinner every night at the fanciest restaurants in Ames! Every night!

Reactions: brett108

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This. There’s really nothing drastic JP can “do” to “keep” CMC here. As this post says, either he wants to stay here and build something special, something unique, of his own device—or he jumps to either the NFL, or a school with more resources.

Quite fortuitously, what CMC keeps saying, again and again and again, is the former. Matter of fact, he’s seemed to be a bit short recently with reporters who asked again. So, until he demonstrates otherwise, I’ll take Him at his word.

In the meantime, what JP can do isn’t “come up with a huge contract”. It’s do all that he can to avail and enable CMC every opportunity to be successful here.

Like setting aside additional money for assistants. Continually improving facilities. Ensuring that ISU gets the best possible national exposure. And so on.

Which...JP seems to have down pat.

So, for the moment, I’m good. No “worst case scenario” for me.

I completely agree with this^

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Honestly, I think the most important thing you can do is try to make Iowa State as appealing as possible. If Campbell thinks he can be successful here, he's more likely to stay. So it's the money, but more importantly it's the facilities, the assistant's pay, the field, etc. The field is a big deal. It seemed pretty obvious that Campbell was pissed about the field conditions last year. If he's still pissed next year, you've got to change it to make him happy.

One thing that didn't get brought up when talking about JP on KXNO last week was he mentioned that when the Ohio State job opened up, Pollard called Campbell and said let's get on the same page on this (because he knew they'd be asked). According to Pollard, Campbell said he wasn't interested at all. And Pollard said, he probably shouldn't be so certain because he wouldn't want to be the guy accused of lying if something happened to change his mind. Now, I don't really believe that story (much like I don't believe that Campbell came to Ames and talked to his wife about how great it was). But it does make a person feel good!

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This. There’s really nothing drastic JP can “do” to “keep” CMC here. As this post says, either he wants to stay here and build something special, something unique, of his own device—or he jumps to either the NFL, or a school with more resources.

Quite fortuitously, what CMC keeps saying, again and again and again, is the former. Matter of fact, he’s seemed to be a bit short recently with reporters who asked again. So, until he demonstrates otherwise, I’ll take Him at his word.

In the meantime, what JP can do isn’t “come up with a huge contract”. It’s do all that he can to avail and enable CMC every opportunity to be successful here.

Like setting aside additional money for assistants. Continually improving facilities. Ensuring that ISU gets the best possible national exposure. And so on.

Which...JP seems to have down pat.

So, for the moment, I’m good. No “worst case scenario” for me.
Can we add capacity to trice? Just curiosity.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
... to what lengths would you go to keep CMC here?

IMO, you basically would have to do whatever it takes to keep him.... including decreasing other head coaches' salaries (not MBB or WBB), or even dropping a sport or two.

I know JP would never probably go to that extent, but if we were to lose him, and the football program drops back to mediocrity or worse.... then you might be looking at having to go to those lengths anyway.

Thoughts? What would you be willing to do?
Bingo in the parking lot on game day.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A good part of his contract is in annuities he can’t touch until retirement age and that was by his request. So as long as we can be flexible in instances like that, we have a good shot to keep him for as long as possible.
I think CMC walks the walk more than most coaches when it comes to sincerity.

I’ve been to a lot of college towns and if you like smaller ones, Ames sure is nice.

Reactions: Aclone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Can we add capacity to trice? Just curiosity.
Of course we can.
If/When they decide to finish the north end zone, depending on how they do it, it could keep the capacity the same or similar to what we have doing something similar to Clemson's Westzone. If they do something similar to the JTS' South end, it would increase capacity by several thousand, or if they did full double deck without a club would probably add 15k.
If/When they do a new sky box it will more than likely include many new suites and/or club sections. Which would probably add few thousand to the capacity.
These 2 are probably the next expansions we might see some day. How much capacity it will actually add vs converting current capacity to premium seating is debatable, as well as the timeline for these improvements.
There is also the option of a 3rd Deck on the east side, but I see this as a long shot. Although, I have heard rumors that CMC wants the stadium to go UP (taller), with future expansions. Maybe to make it a more imposing stadium for visiting teams. This is just a rumor but, it is something to think about, think how imposing JTS would be with a full Sky box on one side and a 3rd deck on the other. Of course only if we are filling those stands as well.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If ND opening is 5-7 years (which you're probably correct), then there's a chance Ohio State opens by then. We don't know what'll happen with Day.
Tell me. What does a 'blue blood' offer that Iowa State can't? History? Money? If money is no issue, why would anyone bank on being a 'part' of history when they can 'make' history?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyczech

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Of course we can.
If/When they decide to finish the north end zone, depending on how they do it, it could keep the capacity the same or similar to what we have doing something similar to Clemson's Westzone. If they do something similar to the JTS' South end, it would increase capacity by several thousand, or if they did full double deck without a club would probably add 15k.
If/When they do a new sky box it will more than likely include many new suites and/or club sections. Which would probably add few thousand to the capacity.
These 2 are probably the next expansions we might see some day. How much capacity it will actually add vs converting current capacity to premium seating is debatable, as well as the timeline for these improvements.
There is also the option of a 3rd Deck on the east side, but I see this as a long shot. Although, I have heard rumors that CMC wants the stadium to go UP (taller), with future expansions. Maybe to make it a more imposing stadium for visiting teams. This is just a rumor but, it is something to think about, think how imposing JTS would be with a full Sky box on one side and a 3rd deck on the other. Of course only if we are filling those stands as well.
I spun this to JP the last go around. OLED screens are now transparent. 5 floors of skyboxes with OLED as the windows (and the space between the floors). The image would be too vague (because of the sheer size) to be a distraction for inside viewing, but imagine the outside view. Not to mention the reverberation.

Reactions: 2speedy1

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Much like Hoiberg it wouldnt be the money. If he has a desire to coach at the pinnacle of his profession there wont be anything anyone can do to keep him in Ames.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Big 12 revenue was $38-$39 million last year and per Bowlsby it is going to $45 million per year in the next 4 years and donations will continue to rise with CMC's success.

CMC salary up a couple million over next 3 years, increase staff salaries, and most important, get them access to airplanes to recruit and still maximize time with family.

• Agree

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Big 12 revenue was $38-$39 million last year and per Bowlsby it is going to $45 million per year in the next 4 years and donations will continue to rise with CMC's success.

CMC salary up a couple million over next 3 years, increase staff salaries, and most important, get them access to airplanes to recruit and still maximize time with family.

• Agree

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Tell me. What does a 'blue blood' offer that Iowa State can't? History? Money? If money is no issue, why would anyone bank on being a 'part' of history when they can 'make' history?

Recruiting for one. Unlimited resources for another. Think what kind of damage Campbell and his staff could do at a recruiting hotbed like Ohio State or Notre Dame. You've just got to hope maybe Campbell wants to build the next powerhouse instead of taking one over. Either way you slice it you are always going to have a recruiting disadvantage in Iowa.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Recruiting for one. Unlimited resources for another. Think what kind of damage Campbell and his staff could do at a recruiting hotbed like Ohio State or Notre Dame. You've just got to hope maybe Campbell wants to build the next powerhouse instead of taking one over. Either way you slice it you are always going to have a recruiting disadvantage in Iowa.
Yep, recruiting is the issue with a lot of schools. Not enough recruits in the state of Iowa.