9am Kickoff

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
sorta. From France to Poland is one time zone. England/Ireland is an hour behind and Ukraine and Romania an hour ahead.

I knew England was an hour behind Europe but don't count them as Europe. Brexit! Plus they never adopted the Euro and kept their stupid pound currency. England, the new Switzerland. :rolleyes:

Western France is kinda pushing it for the zone anyway. Weird to be pushing 9:30 p.m. and still daylight in Normandy in the summer when you're used to zones across the states balancing things out (mostly).

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, but that's point, right? They don't care at all about butts in seats. They're trying to get more TV audience, correct?

It's all realignment bullsh#t. Of course, in a sane world everyone can agree that 0900 kickoff is stupid AF. God I f#cking hate what realignment has done to CFB.

I agree. 9am games would kill attendance, but they don't really care about that. I'm sure it would only be a game or two a week, but I'm betting those fans aren't real happy about it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I LOVE being (s)pacific time zone... Wake up at a normal time and see the east coast games, jump into our stuff then I can see all the Pac 10 "football" and be in bed with no impact to my early sleep schedule. AND we can smoke pot! And you can camp on the streets and defecate wherever you want apparently based on past experiences in some west coast cities...

You have some things to work thru

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I knew England was an hour behind Europe but don't count them as Europe. Brexit! Plus they never adopted the Euro and kept their stupid pound currency. England, the new Switzerland. :rolleyes:

Western France is kinda pushing it for the zone anyway. Weird to be pushing 9:30 p.m. and still daylight in Normandy in the summer when you're used to zones across the states balancing things out (mostly).
Mainland Portugal and parts of Spain are on the same time zone as Britain. There is a part of European Russia that is in a fourth European time zone.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Colorado would be 10 am I believe. Utah maybe. Not sure about the AZ schools since they don’t do daylight savings, if they would be 9 or 10 then.

It would be both for AZ: 9 am thru October then 10 when the rest of the world falls back.

Not sure how how moving Halloween to the last Saturday in October effects this but you know it will.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Would make drinking cheaper for the students. Just carry your buzz through kick offf.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Could start becoming common for PAC 12 schools. That’s some early tailgating!

Don't think it would be fun to attend a 9 AM game... however, would love have a game to watch at 9 AM (although, since I am in ET zone, no help to me).

If I am Fox, I would love to get a 9 AM ET game going... need something to compete with College Game Day.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Don't think it would be fun to attend a 9 AM game... however, would love have a game to watch at 9 AM (although, since I am in ET zone, no help to me).

If I am Fox, I would love to get a 9 AM ET game going... need something to compete with College Game Day.

That would be interesting to get a 9 or 10 am ET game going on FOX. I think both the SEC and ACC have exclusive ABC/ESPN deals going, so it would have to be a G5 game. But the American Conference/C-USA should jump on that. I’d rather watch a G5 game than Gameday kissing the SEC’s butt for the entirety of the show.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That would be interesting to get a 9 or 10 am ET game going on FOX. I think both the SEC and ACC have exclusive ABC/ESPN deals going, so it would have to be a G5 game. But the American Conference/C-USA should jump on that. I’d rather watch a G5 game than Gameday kissing the SEC’s butt for the entirety of the show.
Except it would only be for the west coast that have to play at 9. So those games would just fall into the rest of the 11/12:00 games in the midwest/east. On the west coast they already watch games at 9 am. Just all those games are from the midwest and east, in our 11 am slot.
This is to put Pac12 teams in that slot, which means those teams play at 9am to fit in with the rest of the countrys early time slot.
Kinda feels like drastic grasping at anything at this point, from a sinking ship.

• Agree

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Except it would only be for the west coast that have to play at 9. So those games would just fall into the rest of the 11/12:00 games in the midwest/east. On the west coast they already watch games at 9 am. Just all those games are from the midwest and east, in our 11 am slot.
This is to put Pac12 teams in that slot, which means those teams play at 9am to fit in with the rest of the countrys early time slot.
Kinda feels like drastic grasping at anything at this point, from a sinking ship.
I agree, my earlier comment was just a hypothetical saying that it would actually make more sense for a G-5 conference on the east coast to have earlier games on FOX that would play during Gameday. It is totally silly for the PAC to go earlier just to compete with the rest of cfb. G5’s seem more willing and necessary to do outside the box things to gain eyeballs, like playing a week earlier than everyone else. And it works for them. More network games =more $ for those G5 conferences that are way behind in revenue. It wouldn’t be to gain eyeballs on the West Coast, but let’s face it that the West Coast really doesn’t care all that much about cfb anyways. There may be some rare people on the West Coast that would start watching games at 6 or 7 am.

Reactions: 2speedy1

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I agree, my earlier comment was just a hypothetical saying that it would actually make more sense for a G-5 conference on the east coast to have earlier games on FOX that would play during Gameday.

To make that work, though, none of the options are that great.
(1) Kick off at 8:30 am ET in order to be done by the regular "first" window at noon ET.
(2) Kick off at, say, 10 am ET but on a secondary channel (FS2, which Fox doesn't even use for football right now) in order to not jack up the windows on the primary channels.
(3) Shift all of the broadcast windows to facilitate an earlier starting time (10 am ET, 1:30 pm, 5 pm, 8:30 pm)

• Agree

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
To make that work, though, none of the options are that great.
(1) Kick off at 8:30 am ET in order to be done by the regular "first" window at noon ET.
(2) Kick off at, say, 10 am ET but on a secondary channel (FS2, which Fox doesn't even use for football right now) in order to not jack up the windows on the primary channels.
(3) Shift all of the broadcast windows to facilitate an earlier starting time (10 am ET, 1:30 pm, 5 pm, 8:30 pm)
True, but they are still better options than what the PAC is suggesting, lol.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
The PAC 12 would absolutely get better viewership across the country kicking off at 11 am CST. In person attendance? TBD, some wouldn't mind have the rest of the day available to them.

It is not like all of their games will be in this time slot. The PAC-12 is one conference that could probably get away with having at least one game on in every timeslot/window.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron