Declining job offer you verbally accepted.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Been there and done that! Just be forthright and honest with the first offer contact you decline and let them know that you really appreciate the offer and would have been happy, but you received an unexpected counter-offer you couldn't refuse. Short term pain but long term gain. I am 100% glad I took the 2nd job I was offered in my scenario (a few years out of college), as it was the Rosetta Stone of my professional career instead of just a job. Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

+1 They'll be out nothing at this point and will move on to the next candidate. Most large companies don't inform candidates that the position is filled until "your" first day for this exact reason.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You don't actually have to tell them why you changed to not accepting it. Just tell them your situation has changed or other generic words.

As a hiring supervisor it is a big hassle after you've gone through the whole process then need to start over again. Especially if the list of potential candidates is limited. But it's your life and you have to make the best decision for you. They DO understand that.
This is why as a hiring manager I never called and rejected other applicants until I got more than a verbal acceptance from our first choice. It is worth keeping them on the hook for a couple more days to make sure you have a solid agreement.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My office mate and I were talking about a similar situation just yesterday. He lost a kid to cancer about 20 years ago. At the time he was contemplating a job offer. The job would have doubled his salary but included 5 day a week travel. He ultimately declined three days before he got his son's diagnosis. If he had accepted he would have had to back out because there is no way he would have been able to do that job while helping his son fight for his life.

Life situations change and if you haven't signed a contract do what is best for you.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

ccruzen

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 19, 2009
Urbandale
I'm going to echo what everyone has said, be respectful and honest but do what's best for you. I had the a similar thing happen to me recently. After my very professional and apologetic denial to the new company I received a pretty nasty response. Made me feel even better about not taking the role and working with them.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Lucky you, now shop the offer to the originally accepted job. They might beat it, if not you still win. If they’re upset, you’re probably dodging a bullet.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Always take care of #1 first... That's you. The company can move on without you, they always have more options.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Has anyone ever had to do this? I got offered a new job last week, this thurs I said yes. No paperwork, no start date. But then Friday I got a counter offer that pays more at a different place, has less travel, more vacation, is a few miles from my house, and seems like it would be fun.

So now do I just completely alienate the first one and tell them yeah, "no thanks?"

This weekend is gonna suck.

is this Mark Charter's alt account? :chris:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Has anyone ever had to do this? I got offered a new job last week, this thurs I said yes. No paperwork, no start date. But then Friday I got a counter offer that pays more at a different place, has less travel, more vacation, is a few miles from my house, and seems like it would be fun.

So now do I just completely alienate the first one and tell them yeah, "no thanks?"

This weekend is gonna suck.

I had two job options, one that offered and one I wanted. I told the one I wanted that I needed a decision from them one way or another or I was going to accept the other job. I gave them until close of business on a Friday to sh!t or get off the pot because this other job was pressuring me to make a decision. They didn't call, so I accepted the other job at 5:01 Friday. At 5:05 p.m., the other job, the one that I wanted, called with a job offer. I told them sorry, it was too late. I already accepted the other job offer. The other offer was two states away while the one I wanted was about 70 miles from where I lived. But I made the right decision. The one I wound up accepting paid about 9 grand more a year and this was back in the early 90s when 9 grand was worth a lot more. There was no way the one I wanted was going to be able to match that.

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
Can't really add anything other than to say that I have lost my job a couple times and at no time has the employer shed a tear for me or worried about my family's best interest. I have also had to decline a job after verbally accepting it. Again, do what is best for you and your family. Be as polite, professional and respectful as possible. In the end, don't lose any sleep and move forward.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I've done it when a better offer came along. I asked if they could match, they couldn't, so...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No experience in this but I've had jobs that I thought I had a really good chance at, and didn't get a call back.

Does that help?

• Funny

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Sorry that I don't have advice for you, but I appreciate you people that get up and go to work every day. :)

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Back in the old days (and I remember them well), a verbal agreement and a handshake were considered binding. Even state laws reflected verbal agreements as binding. I guess times have changed, hopefully for the better. :cool:

Reactions: runbikeswim

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Back in the old days (and I remember them well), a verbal agreement and a handshake were considered binding. Even state laws reflected verbal agreements as binding. I guess times have changed, hopefully for the better. :cool:
You were forced to work somewhere in the old days? Were you in Russia?

• Funny
Reactions: SECyclone

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Back when kids knew better than to walk on your lawn...

• Funny

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Take the second offer and don't look back. You can just use the line most companies use with offer no. 1-- "I decided to go another direction".