Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The vixen is getting pretty pissed at a chipmunk that lives under our deck. He has been OK until recently, cleans up sunflower seeds that the birds dump on the floor, but now he's taken to digging up her plants. :mad:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What kind of plant was it?
BR_CO-007-1200x630-e1460751154642.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: oldman

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Come back from a work trip and someone straight up stole a plant. The ENTIRE plant.

View attachment 65326
I've come to the conclusion that people will steal anything.

Years ago this guy in Ames had an old set of rims with a sign that said FREE. No one would take them. A friend of his told him wait a few months and then put them back out with a sign that said $20. Stolen a couple of nights later.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The vixen is getting pretty pissed at a chipmunk that lives under our deck. He has been OK until recently, cleans up sunflower seeds that the birds dump on the floor, but now he's taken to digging up her plants. :mad:
This is where outside cats come in handy. All the ground squirrels (which is what your "chipmunk" probably is) are gone, and there are no hosta-chomping rabbits. :D

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
This is where outside cats come in handy. All the ground squirrels (which is what your "chipmunk" probably is) are gone, and there are no hosta-chomping rabbits. :D

If we had a cat (I'm allergic to them, too!) the vixen would never let me keep it outside. We had Jinx for several years - my bestest buddy, BTW - and she didn't really bother me allergically.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Cute until they start getting into the garage/house and dying (stinky!) or digging so much you have to make repairs to one of your garden retaining walls. Had one die in a dryer vent and another in some towels in the garage. A third had chewed up some insulation by the front door trying to get out before I saw his head stick out the hole he had made. Couldn't find the garage one (could smell it) it until LONG time later when I found the mummified corpse. The drier vent one was the grossest thing ever. Literally a zombie, "moving" with all of the maggots. Ack! At that point their population boom became an issue and I had to go Full Boxster with the drowning bucket. Was an easy extermination but joyless as they are kinda cute.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Cute until they start getting into the garage/house and dying (stinky!) or digging so much you have to make repairs to one of your garden retaining walls. Had one die in a dryer vent and another in some towels in the garage. A third had chewed up some insulation by the front door trying to get out before I saw his head stick out the hole he had made. Couldn't find the garage one (could smell it) it until LONG time later when I found the mummified corpse. The drier vent one was the grossest thing ever. Literally a zombie, "moving" with all of the maggots. Ack! At that point their population boom became an issue and I had to go Full Boxster with the drowning bucket. Was an easy extermination but joyless as they are kinda cute.
We found one (ground squirrel) in the dryer vent when we were living in Ames. We were moving the dryer so we have no idea how long it had been in there. Luckily ours was mummified. My daughter has shown she has no problem drowning problem pests. She says she feels a little bad about doing it but she is a gamer.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Goldie, the mascot of the Gophers, is a 13-line ground squirrel but the ground rats at my house are Eastern chipmunks.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We found one (ground squirrel) in the dryer vent when we were living in Ames. We were moving the dryer so we have no idea how long it had been in there. Luckily ours was mummified. My daughter has shown she has no problem drowning problem pests. She says she feels a little bad about doing it but she is a gamer.

What you doing on line? Though you'd be biking Iowa or did the crappy route through southern Iowa deter you this year?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
If we had a cat (I'm allergic to them, too!) the vixen would never let me keep it outside. We had Jinx for several years - my bestest buddy, BTW - and she didn't really bother me allergically.
The only reason these are outdoors is because we already have 6 INdoors. I've tried to find them a home but no luck. :(

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What you doing on line? Though you'd be biking Iowa or did the crappy route through southern Iowa deter you this year?
Son had state soccer last weekend. (Ended up losing both games by a total of 5-0.) Daughter had USA Cup last weekend and state soccer this week and weekend. (They won a must-win and must-score-some-goals game last night to get to the knock out rounds. Eeked in by one point. Will play a semifinal game tonight.)

First time with not even a day of RAGBRAI since I moved up here 20 years ago and had work already scheduled for me that week. As I said in the RAGBRAI thread I feel like Ricky Bobby:
giphy.gif

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Shoulder(s) are still keeping me from sleeping at night...wake up a dozen times a night. Had shoulder appointment early this a.m. with PA at Twin Cities Ortho. X-rays don't show much, no bone spurs or arthritis stuff. Likely both are rotator cuff tears. Getting MRI next week and follow up with the shoulder doc. Looked him up, one of the Vikings team physicians. Kinda surprised an old washed up dude like me got a referral to him. :eek:

But, shoulders don't hurt enough during the day to keep me from biking so going off for a ride. Nice out, no gusty wind, mostly sunny, not raining. It's a meteorological miracle!

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Shoulder(s) are still keeping me from sleeping at night...wake up a dozen times a night. Had shoulder appointment early this a.m. with PA at Twin Cities Ortho. X-rays don't show much, no bone spurs or arthritis stuff. Likely both are rotator cuff tears. Getting MRI next week and follow up with the shoulder doc. Looked him up, one of the Vikings team physicians. Kinda surprised an old washed up dude like me got a referral to him. :eek:

But, shoulders don't hurt enough during the day to keep me from biking so going off for a ride. Nice out, no gusty wind, mostly sunny, not raining. It's a meteorological miracle!

You've inspired me, I actually biked it the 5 miles into work today. The trip home is going to be the real test though as my legs are still complaining about this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.