Hot Take: Our Football team won't actually have to do all that much to replace Montgomery and Butler

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
As everyone knows, David Montgomery and Hakeem the Dream were two of the best players we've ever had at their positions (personally I think Hakeem the Dream is the GOAT of Iowa State WRs). With them going on to the pros a year early, much has been made about finding a way to replace the output that we'll be losing with them.

I don't think that this is going to be as much of an issue for the following reasons:

• Our RB corps is probably the most stacked it's ever been. Idk who's the best or worst RB right now but even our worst RB is probably a 7/10 while our best RB is probably a 9/10 or 10/10 even.

• Similarly, with our WRs, yes, we probably don't have anyone capable of abusing defenders so beautifully like Hakeem the Dream regularly did, but also, the receivers we have, especially Milton and (probably) Pettway do not seem to be bad, and we also will have a QB in Brock Purdy who usually knows what he's doing when it comes to throwing balls around.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
Replacing Montgomery, or at least filling the hole with a different set of skills, is doable. Replacing Hakeem is going to be very hard. He was a rare talent for our squad.

I should add that I agree that replacing Hakeem the Dream will be harder than replacing Butler, but I still think we have enough talent at WR and are also deep enough in that position that it should sort itself out fairly quickly. We may not have another player quite like Butler, but having multiple WRs who are quite decent to very good should be enough to make up for his absence.

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
The thing I worry about most with losing Butler is that he never coughed up the ball. I guarantee we will have more fumbles this year from the RB position this year and that will be an adjustment.

I actually don't think our RBs have been super fumble prone. It'll be interesting to see how good at keeping the ball [Jirehl] Brock and Hall are

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
This hot take does a lot of relying on guys we’ve hardly seen being studs immediately....

Our team will have to do a ton to replace the two NFL players, but they’ve done such a good job recruiting I think it’s possible. They’ll look different next year for sure. A good and consistent QB and OL would make everything easier.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The thing I worry about most with losing Montgomery is that he never coughed up the ball. I guarantee we will have more fumbles this year from the RB position this year and that will be an adjustment.
Not just that, Montgomery almost never went backwards in yards and made so much up out of thin air. Those qualities can be hard to find even in good players, at least as consistently as he did it.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
A lot of the RB talent is unproven. I sure hope they live up to their rankings

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think there's a chance to be more 'multiple' as CMC wants to do.

Might be some growing pains but the last two seasons has seen ISU play likely the best overall football I can remember so I'll expect the same this season.

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
Might be some growing pains but the last two seasons has seen ISU play likely the best overall football I can remember so I'll expect the same this season.

That's the thing. I'd be much more worried about regressions of any sort if Paul Rhoads were still our coach but I just don't see a Campbell team regressing much from the previous levels of play we've been having

• Agree
Reactions: cyson

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
If my fantasy football experience has taught me anything, if you don’t have a lead back you are not in a good place. Change of pace back is just fine but need that RB1. Hoping Breece Hall is ready after being here for a spring. If it’s Kene i think we struggle at the position.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Let's talk again after the Baylor game. If we have 1000 yards rushing and 1500 yards passing as a team I'll start to feel pretty convinced.

Not going to be surprised if we struggle to show an identity those first few weeks. Like Campbell has said at Media day etc, we need guys to step into the role of "give me the ball on 3rd down"
Those are leadership roles DM and HB had that are tougher to replace than raw talent.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I doubt if anyone will man-handle tacklers like Butler did. And I expect we will far fewer big plays, but many more sustained drives. I could see us running plays for short gains behind three TE's and not trying for home runs except in 2nd and short situations. Control the clock and the scoreboard!