Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
@Triggermv
Noticed the new avatar. Is Shazam really good? Haven't seen it yet. Hoping it will come to HBO eventually or Hulu/Netflix.

I liked Zachary Levi from his Chuck days and was looking forward to the movie. It was entertaining, but I came away feeling like they could have made it so much better. Without giving away any of the plot, the pacing of the movie was a bit choppy to me. It seemed to start and stop randomly.

The cast was well put together, but they were under-utilized. It felt like every joke was centered around the "I'm a kid in a grown man's body" instead of exploring other comedic moments. Again, not bad, but it just felt like it missed out on something better.

Also, it was almost like they couldn't figure out what direction they wanted to go. It was light-hearted with some really heavy tones sprinkled in.

*disclaimer - I probably went into the movie with higher expectations than I should have. I really liked the Shazam comic as a kid and thought they got the perfect actor to portray him.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
@Triggermv
Noticed the new avatar. Is Shazam really good? Haven't seen it yet. Hoping it will come to HBO eventually or Hulu/Netflix.

It was one of those movies I really enjoyed but there was one major flaw that ate away at me the whole time. Asher Angel as Billy Batson was great. Zachary Levi as Shazam was great. The problem was that they didnt seem like they were playing the same character. Billy Batson is pretty serious and level-headed throughout, then here comes goofy zaney Shazam. That isnt the actors fault but a director one. Outside that, it really is fun.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It was one of those movies I really enjoyed but there was one major flaw that ate away at me the whole time. Asher Angel as Billy Batson was great. Zachary Levi as Shazam was great. The problem was that they didnt seem like they were playing the same character. Billy Batson is pretty serious and level-headed throughout, then here comes goofy zaney Shazam. That isnt the actors fault but a director one. Outside that, it really is fun.

Interesting. I will have to look for that when I watch it. I wonder if it's a case of his alter ego really being an alter ego for him. Allowing him to let loose like he can't as a youth.

Probably just a case that in reality they are two different actors who just act differently and it's not intentional.

Reactions: Triggermv

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think my 10 and 12 yr old are going to love it. Looking forward to it coming to HBO soon.

Watched it with my eight year old last weekend. He loved it. There were a few moderately scary parts where he got spooked a little, but overall the tone of the movie was kept pretty light and kid-friendly.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Daniel Bruhl has posted a photo on Instagram teasing that Baron Zemo will wear a mask in the Disney+ Series "The Falcon and The Winter Soldier"

And Anthony Mackie has said he recently had a fitting for his Captain America costume.

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
And Anthony Mackie has said he recently had a fitting for his Captain America costume.

As a completely random aside, I would have much rather had Captain Marvel be in phase 2 or phase 1 even (It was good but would have been better in phase one or phase 2 than phase 3) and have a Falcon movie as the last pre-Endgame movie. I think a good dedicated Falcon movie would have added so much more weight to the ending of Endgame.

Not that I think Falcon won't be a good Captain America, I think he'll be a great Captain America. I just wish we'd gotten more of the Falcon character than we did before he became Captain America.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I am excited for the possible direction they are going with Wanda Vision and Dr. Strange. Word is, Scarlet Witch has a big role in the next Dr. Strange movie which leads me to get a ahead of myself in wondering if she actually adopts the Scarlet Witch persona and her powers actually become unchained. If the multiverse actually comes into play, it has to come to a head that movie and maybe then, we get to see if they move the X-Men into the MCU. If they want to stay true to the orgins of the X-Men characters, I don't see how they come from the current MCU. I could see some magic/reality manipulation warping that maybe rips open another universe where the X-Men exist and maybe somehow have the 2 mix. I am sure they will come up with a better plan but I have to think Wanda Vision and Dr. Strange will be the key movies to move in a similar direction.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Legion of FX had a strong episode 5. I can definitely see how people would tap out of this show. It seems like it just gives tastes of greatness and pulls it away and not quite delivering what you want in a show. This season is definitely better than last season imo so far but being as it's their last season, I hope they really go nuts at the end.

• Informative

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Legion of FX had a strong episode 5. I can definitely see how people would tap out of this show. It seems like it just gives tastes of greatness and pulls it away and not quite delivering what you want in a show. This season is definitely better than last season imo so far but being as it's their last season, I hope they really go nuts at the end.

I tapped out during S2 - it's a great series but it is almost exhausting to watch due to the way it is shot. Very impressive photography, but at times can feel like sensory overload. I think I'll try again once the entire series is available. I think this is the last season, is that right?

It should also be noted that Noah Hawley, the creator of this series, has recently met with Kevin Feige to discuss his future involvement in the MCU. Hawley had been writing a Doctor Doom script for FOX prior to the Disney merger.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/noah-hawley-met-with-kevin-feige-about-mcus-surreal-musical-potential

• Agree

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I tapped out during S2 - it's a great series but it is almost exhausting to watch due to the way it is shot. Very impressive photography, but at times can feel like sensory overload. I think I'll try again once the entire series is available. I think this is the last season, is that right?

It should also be noted that Noah Hawley, the creator of this series, has recently met with Kevin Feige to discuss his future involvement in the MCU. Hawley had been writing a Doctor Doom script for FOX prior to the Disney merger.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/noah-hawley-met-with-kevin-feige-about-mcus-surreal-musical-potential
Yes, it's the last season. I think most people agree on the sensory overload. It was great in the beginning but after a while, it's taxing but to be fair, it fits Legion's persona to a T if you are familiar with his character in the comics. This season definitely is giving you more comic book Legion vibes with creative liberties vs before where they were much more loosely based regarding his persona. For instance, they actually showed his parents this season and touched much more on his multiple personality disorder. It's still pulling back on giving you the wow moment for the most part though which is frustrating.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Avengers: Endgame is now officially available for purchase digitally. Anybody pick it up yet? I haven't, as I always wait a few extra weeks for the 4K Blu Ray version to come out where I get both the physical and digital copy. Yes, I'm that guy still. I can't wait!!!

Now that most all the old MCU movies are popping up now on 4K blu ray, I've been in the process of slowly upgrading to those as well. The key has been going slowly and shimmying them in without my wife noticing that I'm actually buying all the same movies again. Yes, to a lot of people, this sounds stupid, but this has always just been my thing. I love collecting these movies in the best format available. My latest was grabbing the 4K version of The Incredible Hulk during the Amazon Prime days sale.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Avengers: Endgame is now officially available for purchase digitally. Anybody pick it up yet? I haven't, as I always wait a few extra weeks for the 4K Blu Ray version to come out where I get both the physical and digital copy. Yes, I'm that guy still. I can't wait!!!

Now that most all the old MCU movies are popping up now on 4K blu ray, I've been in the process of slowly upgrading to those as well. The key has been going slowly and shimmying them in without my wife noticing that I'm actually buying all the same movies again. Yes, to a lot of people, this sounds stupid, but this has always just been my thing. I love collecting these movies in the best format available. My latest was grabbing the 4K version of The Incredible Hulk during the Amazon Prime days sale.

I've had it pre-ordered digitally for almost a month, and I got it yesterday. I watched the intro with the Russo's which wasn't anything too in-depth. The one takeaway I got from is it that they seem to be done with the MCU. I started the first hour and will probably catch up on the rest tonight.

The kids and I may watch Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back this weekend. We stopped watching Infinity War the first time when my oldest said "No way Spider-Man is going to die!" during the fight with Ebony Maw on the spaceship. I don't think she would have handled the ending well, so the fact that we can quickly jump to Endgame should hopefully make that an easier viewing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've had it pre-ordered digitally for almost a month, and I got it yesterday. I watched the intro with the Russo's which wasn't anything too in-depth. The one takeaway I got from is it that they seem to be done with the MCU. I started the first hour and will probably catch up on the rest tonight.

The kids and I may watch Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back this weekend. We stopped watching Infinity War the first time when my oldest said "No way Spider-Man is going to die!" during the fight with Ebony Maw on the spaceship. I don't think she would have handled the ending well, so the fact that we can quickly jump to Endgame should hopefully make that an easier viewing.

I've seen lots of mixed signals from the Russo Bros as to whether or not they plan on returning to the MCU. Honestly, it seems to depend on the day and the interview, as they have indicated strongly both directions multiple different times. Regardless, they truly do seem to have enough on their current plate where if a return is imminent, it at least won't be for a while. I personally would love to eventually see them back, but not for a while. My first choice would be to hear they will be directing a Star Wars movie.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Anybody been watching the latest season of Agents of Shield by chance? If so, what are your thoughts so far? I can't wait for the season to finish up where I can bulldoze through the whole thing on Netflix. I'm such an AOS fanboy. To me, it might be my favorite ongoing show I watch, and is easily one of the most underrated shows out there. I hear they have been setting up a possible Ghost Rider return, which would simply put me over the edge. I love what they have done with that character.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron