Impossible Burger

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
You are the one who used the term requirement. I'm merely playing the game you set up here. That's why I'm confused.

99% of people eat stuff that doesn't occur naturally unless they are full paleo.

If you wanted to be the healthiest version of yourself you should never eat a burger, so I don't get what the consternation is here.

Sorry...first time I've jumped back on the forum.

You are correct, I did introduce "requirement" so that is my bad.

I will challenge you to cite one scientific study to support your last statement. I can save you time, there is none...yet. Every study done to date tries to draw conclusions of eating red meat while the subjects are also consuming other foods. There is no controlled studies verifying the effects of just eating red meat.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/risk-red-meat

Took a 5 second google. If you don't like it, take it up with the national institutes of health.

Please look at my last comment.

I've seen this study. It is based on people filling out a food diary of what they eat.

Exactly to my previous point/challenge to you. There is not a study done that controls for, and tests for, individuals who consume meat without the other food intakes that can disrupt the results.

It is a corrupted study if you really are trying to determine the health factors of eating red meat only. It possibly tells you if you eat the crappy SAD (Standard American Diet) and also
eat red meat, that there might be increased risk factors.

There are plenty of anecdotal evidence of people coming off of type 2 diabetes meds, depression/anxiety meds, losing weight ,etc that have gone to Keto and Carnivore diets. The next step will be conducting studies (and I belive some are the works), but you can't point to any today.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
So to your comment about not eating another burger, I will grant you that if you're going to eat a SAD diet which contains a lot of processed foods, chemicals, gluten, etc. etc., then maybe not eating a burger would be best because you've probably disrupted your digestive system to the point it is not handling red meat as our bodies intended and were designed to do

If however you dumped all the other garbage and just ate burgers, you'd probably be much closer to your ideal healthy potential.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flycy

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
The best evidence we have right now shows that it's not good.

If additional evidence comes out that says it isn't, I'll believe it.

You're asking to disregard the evidence we do have because it's not perfect. I disagree.

Fair enough. I'd argue the studies thus far are not just far from perfect, but rather almost useless...which is great for the pharmaceutical industry, but not helpful for figuring out what we should, and should not be eating.

I"m still trying to figure it out myself, but I feel pretty confident not putting anything in my body that has an ingredient's list that becomes a full paragraph on the food label (bringing this back to the original topic of the thread). I don't believe our bodies were ever designed to consume foods that have been modified to that degree outside how they naturally were produced.

Be well.

https://meat.health/knowledge-base/what-is-the-carnivore-diet/

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Anyway... I ate at Qdoba last night after the CCL games and got the Impossible Meat on my burrito. I was quite satisfied, and I've never seen the impossible meat in any version other than a burger.

I will say, however, that I prefer the tofu option at Chipotle better than this. Qdoba didn't really add any flavor to this "meat", so it didn't exactly fit with a burrito setting.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
When one person sources the National Institute of Health, and the other person sources Meat.Health, I know who I'll generally go with

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
When one person sources the National Institute of Health, and the other person sources Meat.Health, I know who I'll generally go with

That would be an easy, albeit lazy, way to analyze the two sides.

BTW...if you took the time to go just go an inch below the surface, you'd have seen that meat health was started by a doctor...who is doing this diet himself and treating patients. He is not a cattle rancher and is not selling supplements.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
That would be an easy, albeit lazy, way to analyze the two sides.

BTW...if you took the time to go just go an inch below the surface, you'd have seen that meat health was started by a doctor...who is doing this diet himself and treating patients. He is not a cattle rancher and is not selling supplements.
He's a dentist.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
He's a dentist.

c595585822970b63b1905d908a500f49.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneNorth

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Fair enough. I'd argue the studies thus far are not just far from perfect, but rather almost useless...which is great for the pharmaceutical industry, but not helpful for figuring out what we should, and should not be eating.

I"m still trying to figure it out myself, but I feel pretty confident not putting anything in my body that has an ingredient's list that becomes a full paragraph on the food label (bringing this back to the original topic of the thread). I don't believe our bodies were ever designed to consume foods that have been modified to that degree outside how they naturally were produced.

Be well.

https://meat.health/knowledge-base/what-is-the-carnivore-diet/

Two questions:

1. Where did you learn about this diet, Facebook or Reddit?
2. Are you over the age of 40?

• Funny
Reactions: Macloney

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
He's a dentist.

I realize in the current environment, it is easy to attack messengers vs actually addressing the issue, so I won't blame you for that.

It just so happened that when I turned 30 I was closing my private practice where I was treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) to venture full time into two new businesses. Great idea, right? While treating patients’ OSA, I discovered several issues in standard treatment recommendations, which prompted me to start a side project. A couple years and many dollars later, an intranasal device was developed to help better treat snoring and OSA. The design, patent, and prototype were ready just as I was launching a second side project.

The other company was an educational technology company, completely unrelated to the nasal device.

I wouldn’t classify myself as a slacker before this. I had functioned at what I thought was a decently high level. I had graduated in the top of my classes throughout high school, summa cum laude in college with degrees and honors in chemistry, biology and business, and near the top of my dental school class.

If you are satisfied that traditional sources are providing the nutritional information that we need, more power to you. I instead, look around and see a lot of overweight people taking a lot of drugs to address all their ills (beyond just their size).

https://www.kevinstock.io/health/carnivore-diet-experiment/

• Winner
  • Dumb
Reactions: flycy and CyArob

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Two questions:

1. Where did you learn about this diet, Facebook or Reddit?
2. Are you over the age of 40?

1. I regularly listen to Joe Rogan’s podcast. That is first time I heard anyone talking about it. I think he’s had at least 3 guests on where this was a topic at one point in the interview. I read about it for about 3 months (there is a lot of information out there) before giving it a try. Original plan was try it for 30 days. Have been so impressed with results that I’ve been doing since Oct 1 of last year.
  2. Yes. BTW….for the first time in a couple decades I’m wearing the same sized pants as I did when I was playing basketball 6 - 7 days a week in Beyer Hall (when I should have been studying) .

Reactions: harimad

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
CapitalCityGuy, I'm with you on this issue and pretty much agree with all you said I tried a paleo diet a couple years ago, and steadily lost 25 pounds. Although I'm not as strict now as then, I still largely eschew grains and sugar (simple carbs). I eat meat, fish, and fresh fruit, and vegetables, and GI problems have been largely absent.

There is a lot of controversy about diet. It's not settled. Good Calories, Bad Calories (Taubes) was an eye-opener for me.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I realize in the current environment, it is easy to attack messengers vs actually addressing the issue, so I won't blame you for that.

If you are satisfied that traditional sources are providing the nutritional information that we need, more power to you. I instead, look around and see a lot of overweight people taking a lot of drugs to address all their ills (beyond just their size).

https://www.kevinstock.io/health/carnivore-diet-experiment/
No doubt weight is a problem, rebound dieting increases mortality as well.

Curious if you ever researched TMAO since you didn't run across that in your 3 months of reading. What exactly were you reading?

And this study seemed to do well comparing low carb diets, with meat based diets losing out.
https://annals.org/aim/article-abst...all-cause-cause-specific-mortality-two-cohort

Conclusion:

A low-carbohydrate diet based on animal sources was associated with higher all-cause mortality in both men and women, whereas a vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diet was associated with lower all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality rates.

Is your dentist the same as Marty's?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
No doubt weight is a problem, rebound dieting increases mortality as well.

Curious if you ever researched TMAO since you didn't run across that in your 3 months of reading. What exactly were you reading?

And this study seemed to do well comparing low carb diets, with meat based diets losing out.
https://annals.org/aim/article-abst...all-cause-cause-specific-mortality-two-cohort

Is your dentist the same as Marty's?

Maybe before you quoted the "conclusion" you should have posted the background and limitations of this nine year old article. Because before they came to their conclusion they stated that:
"Data on long term association between low-carb diets and mortality are sparse"

Then state that:
"Diet and lifestyle characteristics were assessed with some degree of error"

Followed by:
"Participants were not a representative sample of the U.S. population"

So.....the data is sparse with some degree of error that does not represent the U.S. Well, thanks for playing annals. After 26 years that's the best you can do? I'm going to fire up the grill and celebrate!

• Informative
Reactions: capitalcityguy

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Maybe before you quoted the "conclusion" you should have posted the background and limitations of this nine year old article. Because before they came to their conclusion they stated that:
"Data on long term association between low-carb diets and mortality are sparse"

Then state that:
"Diet and lifestyle characteristics were assessed with some degree of error"
"Sensitivity analyses indicated that results were probably not substantively affected by residual confounding or an unmeasured confounder."
Followed by:
"Participants were not a representative sample of the U.S. population"
Low carb isn't representative of the U.S. Population, ok.
So.....the data is sparse with some degree of error that does not represent the U.S. Well, thanks for playing annals. After 26 years that's the best you can do? I'm going to fire up the grill and celebrate!
That's why I linked the source. Waiting on peer reviewed science showing that eating red meat extends your life.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3145

I mean I can keep going, but perhaps the peer reviewed science to dispute all major health organizations needs to be provided by you first.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Okay, even if we were looking at becoming the healthiest version of yourself, you still wouldn't eat a burger, because the calorie content of hamburger meat per ounce of protein is much higher than it is in turkey or fish.

I'm also a realist and understand that I'm going to eat a lot of crap with a lot of stuff that has a full paragraph food label. Because I like eating a lot of different things.

I think we can eat a lot of different things and be trim and healthy. I think people get way too into optimizing what they eat and how they exercise. The problem isn't that people are not 100% efficient in their diet and exercise. It's that they are doing way too much eating and way too little exercising. Too many impossible burgers (and their long ingredients list) isn't the problem in American health. To suggest that any improvement in American health can be achieved by substituting real hamburger for any impossible burger is just ludicrous.

You're assuming calories matter. They don't. Once your body is using fat for fuel, vs carbs, (i.e...in ketosis) the only thing that matters is that you are eating enough fat to produce sufficient energy. Yes...the first time I heard this, I thought it was nuts as it goes against everything we'd heard for the past few decades.

There's no evidence whatsoever that our direct ancestors from the paleolithic age (same genome as ours) ate anything other than big two-handed, juicy, fatty, bloody, cholesterol-stuffed meats, and their health was as perfect as Nature can make it. Source: isotopic analysis of skeletal remains

We are talking parallel to each other at this point, which I recognize, but you should realize I've heard and read everything you will site on this topic. Based on your responses, you have not on the side I currently fall. That in itself doesn't prove I'm right and you're wrong, only that I've thoroughly looked at both and landed on a side. You are more mainstream and are choosing to go with conventional "wisdom" without thoroughly examining the alternative I suggest. Congrats! You are in the majority on this one.

Last edited: