Athletic Article on Pac-10 Play for Pac-16

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There was no way he could lock in $54 million per year per school for 12 years with the existing media landscape. He knew that. No clue what you're talking about saying I'm trying to "have it both ways." Yes he got the best deal for the B1G in the short term, then can re-up with new media players when the streaming landscape is more settled in 2023 while the other P5 conferences are locked in to antiquated TV deals. For the next 3-4 years the B1G will continue widening the gap between other P5 conferences. Brilliant. Yes the B1G will go first and if the new guy is as good as Delany he'll school all the other conferences the way Delany has.

You're the one who tried saying the B1G was talking about $70-$80 million per year per school, and trying to frame it as though the conference was coming up short of those projections, which was completely false. You willing to walk that one back?

But if the money is going to be less, then being locked into an antiquated TV deals, would be a good thing. Like the ballplayer that signs the long term contract and sucks in his late 30's, he still is getting paid the big bucks, under the 10 year contract.
And yes, the people that cover the league was making 70 tp 80 million dollars a year per school predictions, if it was only Miller and Deace.

Simple facts is with all the money rolling into the conference, its been shut out of the last 2 FB playoffs, and truthfully, OSU did not deserve to be in the first year over TCU or Baylor. I doesn't matter that they won it, who knows TCU or Baylor might have also won it that year, but were never given the chance. OSU loses at home to a 6-6 V. Tech squad, TCU loses by 3 to Baylor, and somehow OSU jumps them the last week of the voting.
Notice we have never heard of that 13 data point before or since.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I think a regional approach to the game would be best, but there is literally no incentive for it to happen, so it won't.

I think there might be a little energy behind shrinking conferences of 16 down to 10 or 12 if the TV model/playoff design were to change in a way that points toward that, i.e. a requirement that only a conference champion can earn an (expanded) playoff spot, for example. But honestly I don't see conferences allowing that kind of disruption.

How about the declining attendance and ticket revenue? A regional rivalry fills the stadium...

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Yes, Delany signed a short-term deal intentionally because he wanted to milk the last of the massive TV deals, which he has to the tune of $10 million more per school than the SEC. Then the B1G will sign its next deal in the age of cord-cutter streaming when that landscape is a little more settled and before all of the other P5 conferences' current TV deals are up, so the B1G will set the stage for that. The short-term, six-year deal was brilliant. Delany will be missed.

And your claim that "a year or two ago" the B1G was predicting $70-$80 million per year, per school is complete BS.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
How about the declining attendance and ticket revenue? A regional rivalry fills the stadium...

That's really the biggest thing I miss. College rivalries are organic and deep. This isn't like the NFL or MLB where paid guns represent your town against another town.

College rivalries can be longer and deeper. More personal (unless you take pro sports WAY too seriously). The players walk the same path I did. Sit in the same classes. We had a common thread.

Busting up those types of rivalries for the $$..... **** it. Pay the players and treat it like the Browns vs Steelers

• Agree
Reactions: StateThrowdown

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I agree and I think this is the attitude of the conference leadership. The fan fiction where we all propose our new look Big 12 (like mine w/ the AZ schools) are well and good but if it doesn't make more money it's just nonsense.

I agree somewhat. If we add Arizona State and make the same money. Im fine with that. That gives us all a reason to go hang out at Arizona State and that's never a bad thing. haha

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
If I am to guess any future realignment won't be triggered by the TV. But very well could be triggered by the payment of athletes. The OU/UTs of the world will be able to construct better payments systems than the KSU/ISUs of the world. If you don't think this is coming, California is going to pass the "fair pay to play" that will change college athletics. And depending on how forward-thinking the ADs are when it comes to pass, could change the world of sports in America drastically.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think a lot of us here don't attribute this to adding Rutgers is all.

From what I've read on B10 boards it's how most B10 fans feel.

It hasn't hurt them yet but at best they are neutral additions long term.

As the cable subscription gouging continues to decline, Rutgers will pretty much wash out any gains the B1G received by adding Nebraska. NW and Maryland will hurt the numbers as well.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
But if the money is going to be less, then being locked into an antiquated TV deals, would be a good thing. Like the ballplayer that signs the long term contract and sucks in his late 30's, he still is getting paid the big bucks, under the 10 year contract.
And yes, the people that cover the league was making 70 tp 80 million dollars a year per school predictions, if it was only Miller and Deace.

Simple facts is with all the money rolling into the conference, its been shut out of the last 2 FB playoffs, and truthfully, OSU did not deserve to be in the first year over TCU or Baylor. I doesn't matter that they won it, who knows TCU or Baylor might have also won it that year, but were never given the chance. OSU loses at home to a 6-6 V. Tech squad, TCU loses by 3 to Baylor, and somehow OSU jumps them the last week of the voting.
Notice we have never heard of that 13 data point before or since.

Who said the money is going to be less when they renegotiate in 2022-23? And they wouldn't have been able to get $54 million per year, per school for 10-12 years. That deal was never there. With the way the media landscape is changing, do you seriously think you can project what ESPN and FOX will be able to afford in terms of conference payouts in the year 2030? ESPN might be dead at that point.

All of this came from you saying that "the Big 10" was projecting $70-$80 million per team, I assume as a way to try showing that the conference was falling well short of those numbers. That's totally false, and pretty funny given that the B1G's current revenues are in a different stratosphere than all others. A couple of nitwits with a webcam and mic saying that is a far cry from the conference projecting it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If I am to guess any future realignment won't be triggered by the TV. But very well could be triggered by the payment of athletes. The OU/UTs of the world will be able to construct better payments systems than the KSU/ISUs of the world. If you don't think this is coming, California is going to pass the "fair pay to play" that will change college athletics. And depending on how forward-thinking the ADs are when it comes to pass, could change the world of sports in America drastically.

The next big move will be the P5 schools making a clean break from the NCAA in football and yes, paying players will certainly come into play but it will be structured so that it won't just be the haves and the have nots.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As the cable subscription gouging continues to decline, Rutgers will pretty much wash out any gains the B1G received by adding Nebraska. NW and Maryland will hurt the numbers as well.

I am telling you there are almost no NW fans in Chicago. I mean they are like the 12th or 13th most visible fan base at best. I honestly think ISU might have a more visible Chicago fan base as a Big 12 school.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I am telling you there are almost no NW fans in Chicago. I mean they are like the 12th or 13th most visible fan base at best. I honestly think ISU might have a more visible Chicago fan base as a Big 12 school.

Yep, my Chicago friends all say the same thing. NW has a huge alumni base but they just don't care about the athletics side of the school.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Who said the money is going to be less when they renegotiate in 2022-23? And they wouldn't have been able to get $54 million per year, per school for 10-12 years. That deal was never there. With the way the media landscape is changing, do you seriously think you can project what ESPN and FOX will be able to afford in terms of conference payouts in the year 2030? ESPN might be dead at that point.

All of this came from you saying that "the Big 10" was projecting $70-$80 million per team, I assume as a way to try showing that the conference was falling well short of those numbers. That's totally false, and pretty funny given that the B1G's current revenues are in a different stratosphere than all others. A couple of nitwits with a webcam and mic saying that is a far cry from the conference projecting it.

You really think the Big 10 cares about the health of FOX and ESPN and whether they are making money? They care that they get a rather large check from each, that is it.
You are projecting when you say that revenue is falling well short, what I said was that the revenue is not increasing at the same pace. Its slowing down, so those rosy projections of each time a contract is signed its going up are over.
Most of these league will see a decrease in media dollars in the future, and if they are lucky stay where they are at.
The genius of the Big 10 system was you get to charge everyone in the state whether they watched it or not, that will go away as we move towards a streaming based model. One of the things Iowa fans like to say about ISU, is "they would bring nothing to any league", true under the old system, but under the new system it will be number of fans, and attendence is a great measure of that. Which will move ISU up in the pecking order if something would happen to the Big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: drlove

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Hooray. This back and forth is still going.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I would be happy staying where we are at currently but I also wouldn’t mind bringing in the AZ schools.

I have no interest in bringing back Colorado or Missouri or even Arkansas. If LSU came along with, then Arkansas would be okay.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I can vouch for that. Been living in Chicago for about 10 years, drive through Evanston every day, and work in the North Shore, and I have only met 1 true, diehard Northwestern fan in my life. And that happened to be Chris Collins’ son.
A few people claim it as their #2 school, but a distant second behind another Big 10 school.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would be happy staying where we are at currently but I also wouldn’t mind bringing in the AZ schools.

I have no interest in bringing back Colorado or Missouri or even Arkansas. If LSU came along with, then Arkansas would be okay.

Missouri can **** off. I have zero issues with Colorado, they were just protecting themselves.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Some speculation on what could have happened if Texas decided to go to the Pac-16...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/17/8767533/conference-realignment-texas-pac-12

The Big 12 somehow stays afloat, but ends up the American of the new order.

Air Force
Baylor
Boise State
Brigham Young
Central Florida
Houston
Iowa State
Kansas State
Memphis
South Florida
Southern Methodist
Texas Christian

That is basically a junk drawer of every other team/school that did not end up in one of the remaining "power" conferences but too good for Conference USA... I hope.

Something like...

East = Baylor, Houston, ISU, Memphis, UCF, USF
West = AFA, BSU, BYU, KSU, SMU, TCU

Won't happen. Iowa State will not NOT end up in a power conference. Period.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

It will be driven by how it's monetized though, right? Which is by viewership...so TV by another form/name?

Paying players only relates to realignment in that it will end football for most schools. If that happens there will be an NFL lite of ~24-32 that can afford it. But that's what Joe Six Pack wants. The idiots who couldn't stand a mythical national championship have brought us here. First the BCS, now the Playoff, next the SuperLeague...