Five Guys Coming to Ames

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I don't think I've ever been to Five Guys and not had a bag full of fries honestly, busy or not, that's why I say get a little fry because it's going to be a lot.
Out here it says right on the menu that a small fry feeds 2-3, a medium fry 3-4 and a large fry 4-5. A large fry is basically a paper bag filled halfway up with fries.

It's weird that some of you would happily pay that much for a smaller meal at Battles, but ***** about the same price for more high quality food. Some of you guys must be "too manly" to handle veggies on your burger - it's the toppings that set 5G burgers apart. And the fries are just better than anywhere else all around.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
5 guys is fine. The little cheeseburger and small fry is plenty big for one person, and will set you back maybe 10-11 bucks. That's on par with fast casual these days, maybe a little high, but certainly within range.

That said, I would much prefer something like Freddy's to 5G. Both the burgers and the fries are better.

Reactions: Macloney

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
5 guys is fine. The little cheeseburger and small fry is plenty big for one person, and will set you back maybe 10-11 bucks. That's on par with fast casual these days, maybe a little high, but certainly within range.

That said, I would much prefer something like Freddy's to 5G. Both the burgers and the fries are better.
Freddy's fries are awful

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I can't believe there are still people who are claiming that 5-Guys is anything better than decent. It's fine, nothing special.

Culvers and Freddy's smoke it.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Love Freddy’s. I thought their franchise agreement for Ames was another location with a drive thru.

5G is more affordable to go as a couple. Two people can split fries and a shake get their own burger for under $30. Yes I know, still pricey but it’s a nice treat sometimes.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Given the chance, would you spend 5 nights at Freddy's?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Love Freddy’s. I thought their franchise agreement for Ames was another location with a drive thru.

If that's the case, then the second location might be either (1) South 16th/South Duff as part of the upcoming K-Mart lot redevelopment, or (2) possibly at North Grand, where recent P&Z documents indicate some new buildings on the Grand Ave. side of the mall parking lot.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I noticed that they use 100% peanut oil for the fries and looking at their other menu items there is a chance of cross contamination for peanuts. So, I think we'll avoid them to be safe with the peanut allergy.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I noticed that they use 100% peanut oil for the fries and looking at their other menu items there is a chance of cross contamination for peanuts. So, I think we'll avoid them to be safe with the peanut allergy.
There's also peanuts all over the dining room

• Informative
Reactions: cyrevkah

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
There's also peanuts all over the dining room

It surprises me that 5 Guys and Texas Roadhouse would willingly turn away customers. Seems to be working for them I guess.