Minnesota & Fleck

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would say Purdue and Wisconsin are pretty big wins. Minny beat Wisconsin for the first time in 15 years, and Purdue has beaten Iowa 2 years in a row. I wish we could say that.
Purdue ended the year with 6 wins (even if two were against Iowa and OSU). They also got absolutely embarrassed in their bowl game against Auburn 63-14. The year before that they won 7 games and did not have one ranked victory. Wisconsin last year also did not have a ranked victory and their best win was Iowa and Iowa choked at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would say Purdue and Wisconsin are pretty big wins. Minny beat Wisconsin for the first time in 15 years, and Purdue has beaten Iowa 2 years in a row. I wish we could say that.
So...against unranked teams.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
1.) I've been told for years by TOE fans that recruiting rankings don't matter.
2.) EABOD

Did Hayden Fry run over your dog when you were a kid or something?

You made the claim that Phil Fleck was bringing in some "real talent". What are you basing that off of?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Did Hayden Fry run over your dog when you were a kid or something?

You made the claim that Phil Fleck was bringing in some "real talent". What are you basing that off of?

Fleck's last two classes have literally been on par with Iowa's... Take a closer look at his classes he is bringing in kids that other P5 schools want. He hasn't had any big fish that inflate the total rankings but he also doesn't fill out his classes with low level two stars either All things considered he has the talent to compete, especially in the West with that weak a** crossover schedule.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Fleck cheated on his wife shortly after having a child. That's all anyone should need to hear about that POS

Herman did the same thing at Iowa State. Both guys are cut from the same cloth

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: skibumspe

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Outside of Wisconsin last year, Minnesota hasn't recorded a marquee win in nearly a decade. I think the last time they beat a top-10 team was Penn State in the late '90s.

Yeah, it's even worse than I thought. Since 2010 Minnesota is 3-26 against teams that were ranked in the AP top 25. Their wins were against #24 Iowa, #24 Nebraska, and #23 Nebraska.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It isn't like we have anything to stand on regarding success, two 8 win seasons is huge to us but on the outside its hardly a blip. My only interaction with goofers is online fans, some come off extremely arrogant/condescending towards ISU based on nothing but the attitude that MSP is a big city and Ames is just podunk central.

Minneapolis is a nice city, but not nearly as great as they make it out to be. It's not NYC or Paris or London or San Francisco.

• Funny
Reactions: GT25Ump

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Outside of Wisconsin last year, Minnesota hasn't recorded a marquee win in nearly a decade. I think the last time they beat a top-10 team was Penn State in the late '90s.

and Wisconsin wasn't even ranked when they played...

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This was precisely my point. Since 2006, Minnesota has three victories against ranked teams, Iowa was one of them and then two came against Nebraska when Nebraska just entered the conference . In 2005, Minnesota beat two ranked opponents #11 Purdue and #21 Michigan. Purdue ended with a record of 5-6 and Michigan 7-5, so even those teams they beat were not stellar.

Reactions: BandAlum

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The Daniel Jackson thread had a Minnesota mention (the other Daniel Jackson) and it piqued my curiosity so I checked out Athlon's Minn prediction which is 5th in the B1G West this season.

What's the deal with row boat?... Was he hired at the same time as Campbell? IIRC he was the sexiest of sexy names getting hired when he did. Not that Athlon is gospel but I'd presume he would be doing better than that by now if he was the star everyone thought he was.

Any Clones (or Hawks) in the Cities with any insight?

I live in the cities and I think they win the West. Yeah I might be crazy but they have gotten better each year under Fleck and the west is meh and last year MN had the youngest team in the country. I think they'll surprise some people.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FatNTired

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
It isn't like we have anything to stand on regarding success, two 8 win seasons is huge to us but on the outside its hardly a blip. My only interaction with goofers is online fans, some come off extremely arrogant/condescending towards ISU based on nothing but the attitude that MSP is a big city and Ames is just podunk central.
Sounds like another B1G school I know, and it's not Nebraska.

• Agree
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Minnesota is a lot like Illinois. Large regional university, never really hear or see anything about them.