WBB: 2019-20 schedule discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I would like to see a competitive noncom schedule also. The issue is though how tough do you want? I can tell you that if you get too tough of a schedule and it costs us making the NCAA's there will be a bunch on here complaining about our schedule.

Like I said earlier on the yrs they slide into the NCAA's with a high probability of losing their 1st game I just don't spend the dollars to follow them. I had my work schedule rearranged to go to Chicago if they wouldn't have gotten beat this yr.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I would like to see a competitive noncom schedule also. The issue is though how tough do you want? I can tell you that if you get too tough of a schedule and it costs us making the NCAA's there will be a bunch on here complaining about our schedule.
Well, I'd like it tough enough so that we're more "battle-hardened" so to speak - so we don't get beat by Missouri State at Hilton? The most important (by far) game of the year?

• Agree
Reactions: geewago

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
When you have a young team you don’t get better by getting thrashed by UConn at home or on the road. We don’t need to play top 25 teams in our non-con. Would I like to see more like Auburn or South Dakota? Absolutely. Sisters of the Poor? Sometimes as those games are also about budget I’m guessing and allow the bench valuable playing time. Developing your depth in the preseason is incredibly valuable.

Are we getting top 25 recruiting classes or not?

Like it or not, the Big 12 is NOT one of the top WBB leagues anymore since losing Texas AM and OUs fall, and as we saw last year, having a winning record in the Big 12 no more guarantees an NCAA bid. Thank goodness for Baylor, or the Big 12 would be almost irrelevant in WBB.

A loss to a top 25 team doesn't hurt. And for that matter, UConn was more beatable last year than ever.

• Agree
Reactions: geewago and NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Well figuring Bill hardly ever goes past 8 deep that shouldn't be to hard.

If you watched last year you saw him go 9-10 deep on a regular basis. He has quality players that deep. He had a very solid 9 player rotation last year. Even when you remove the seniors, adding in the freshmen and redshirt and you will see the same thing again this year.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Are we getting top 25 recruiting classes or not?

Like it or not, the Big 12 is NOT one of the top WBB leagues anymore since losing Texas AM and OUs fall, and as we saw last year, having a winning record in the Big 12 no more guarantees an NCAA bid. Thank goodness for Baylor, or the Big 12 would be almost irrelevant in WBB.

A loss to a top 25 team doesn't hurt. And for that matter, UConn was more beatable last year than ever.

Yes, we are. But freshmen are freshmen. They need playing time and development. Div I is a whole different game from high school.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Yes, we are. But freshmen are freshmen. They need playing time and development. Div I is a whole different game from high school.

By my count we will be starting 3 juniors, 1 soph, and likely another junior or senior.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
By my count we will be starting 3 juniors, 1 soph, and likely another junior or senior.

I am with you but 8 out of 10 years our fan base here will consistently play the "we're so young" card like we are the only team in the country that ever graduates seniors. :rolleyes: Last year was a rare year when I didn't read that here.

Roster will be 50/50 fr/soph to jr/sr next year. Most fan bases set expectations maybe a bit too high, ours establishes excuses before the season even starts. ;)

Reactions: geewago

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I am with you but 8 out of 10 years our fan base here will consistently play the "we're so young" card like we are the only team in the country that ever graduates seniors. :rolleyes: Last year was a rare year when I didn't read that here.

Roster will be 50/50 fr/soph to jr/sr next year. Most fan bases set expectations maybe a bit too high, ours establishes excuses before the season even starts. ;)

I’m not making excuses for the impending doom you are forecasting. I’m discussing the benefit of the type of schedule we play. I also have very high expectations for this year’s team. I fully expect a second or third place finish.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

nodakst

Aug 9, 2009
Twister Sisters will be in Fargo on November 22nd. The Bison Will be led by a new coach next season, Jory Collins, who was an assistant at Kansas last year.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Twister Sisters will be in Fargo on November 22nd. The Bison Will be led by a new coach next season, Jory Collins, who was an assistant at Kansas last year.
The 2019-20 NDSU schedule isn't up on the website yet, but I assume you have inside info on this (or another public source I haven't found).

There are two familiar faces on the NDSU bench: assistant coach Morgan Paige spent a year as a grad assistant for ISU WBB, and Sofija Zivaljevic is a redshirt senior. After sitting out the fall semester (due to the transfer) Zivaljevic played in 20 games, starting 3 and scoring 8.8 ppg.

We haven't played NDSU recently, so I'm guessing this is the away portion of an upcoming home-and-home.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Given the results of our last trip to the Dakota's, hopefully this one is more successful. I do like the road trip to get some road experience in likely a sold out gym.

They were 7-22 last year so not a good Summit League team like the NCAA tournament South Dakota squad. Still, does at least get them out of town for a roadie. Wonder if they bus or fly to something like this that is kind of tweener distance for driving/flying? Friday night so maybe busing.