The Tournament

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I see it is on TV right now. Do we have a team this year?

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Yep. All the guys get in tomorrow and we should have a fair amount of them at the cap city final tomorrow night. Then we start Mini camp on Monday....wichita on Wednesday.
And again..we have a Meet and Greet Tuesday at Uptown garage Brewing in Ankeny from 6-8. It's free so bring your kids for autographs, pics, etc.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hard to gauge but a seven seed isn’t good. Wish them the best of luck though. Seems more organized than last years cyclone only squad.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I believe their opening game is vs Wichita’s team July 25th, 8:00pm on ESPN.

Unfortunately they are playing the Wichita State alumni team in Wichita.

I think the only Cyclone players on Iowa United are Fizer and Tyrus McGee.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hard to gauge but a seven seed isn’t good. Wish them the best of luck though. Seems more organized than last years cyclone only squad.

Not sure that seeding means much in this tournament, except for the perennially strong teams.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Not sure that seeding means much in this tournament, except for the perennially strong teams.

Yeah so a couple things. The seedings really don't matter much. In the Memphis region there was a team with 6 guys that either one the region or was in the final. I didn't really look.

The other thing is we originally were going to go to Memphis but to be honest with you that didn't look like a lot of fun. It was not very well attended and it was streaming on ESPN 3.
I chatted with the team and approached the tournament and told them we wanted to move and go to Wichita and be on ESPN. For the players, for you guys at home, just to give these guys a good experience
I don't know what's going to happen next week. We might be home Friday. But the goal for this 1st year was to get in which is really hard. To get on ESPN which we will be and to give all these players a great experience and a lot of exposure. We're just going to go have fun with it and whatever happens happens. There's a long term plan in all this... it'll take time to build.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Yeah so a couple things. The seedings really don't matter much. In the Memphis region there was a team with 6 guys that either one the region or was in the final. I didn't really look.

The other thing is we originally were going to go to Memphis but to be honest with you that didn't look like a lot of fun. It was not very well attended and it was streaming on ESPN 3.
I chatted with the team and approached the tournament and told them we wanted to move and go to Wichita and be on ESPN. For the players, for you guys at home, just to give these guys a good experience
I don't know what's going to happen next week. We might be home Friday. But the goal for this 1st year was to get in which is really hard. To get on ESPN which we will be and to give all these players a great experience and a lot of exposure. We're just going to go have fun with it and whatever happens happens. There's a long term plan in all this... it'll take time to build.
Why do it? It seems like very low upside.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I watched some teams play today, its hard to be confident in the squad.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Why do it? It seems like very low upside.

Why not? It's fun as hell. Its great to get these guys that exposure and shoot...we put together a group that will be on primetime ESPN...and I can barely read. :)
All kidding aside my 3 main reasons are to just to see if we could put together a group that included as many schools as we can, raise awareness for something bigger than ourselves with our Fore The Veterans guys and to watch these guys play again.
Itll take time...just have fun with it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Why not? It's fun as hell. Its great to get these guys that exposure and shoot...we put together a group that will be on primetime ESPN...and I can barely read. :)
All kidding aside my 3 main reasons are to just to see if we could put together a group that included as many schools as we can, raise awareness for something bigger than ourselves with our Fore The Veterans guys and to watch these guys play again.
Good luck Thursday!!
We are caring for an elderly mother this weekend to give his sister a break, and won't be making the trip this year. Maybe next year. I'll be watching on TV, though. :)

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Good luck Thursday!!
We are caring for an elderly mother this weekend to give his sister a break, and won't be making the trip this year. Maybe next year. I'll be watching on TV, though. :)

Awesome thank you!
Well hopefully next year you wont have to travel far. ;) As soon as the tourney is over we'll start working on getting des Moines a region next year. Pretty sure we could pack a gym with 4 fan bases.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Awesome thank you!
Well hopefully next year you wont have to travel far. ;) As soon as the tourney is over we'll start working on getting des Moines a region next year. Pretty sure we could pack a gym with 4 fan bases.
Eh, Wichita was actually easily doable for us; we go to TX twice a year now to visit my father (he's 95). Circumstances just prevented us from going this year. Despite the less than stellar results, we really enjoyed the last two tournaments. Although if I never see Aaron Craft on a basketball court again, it will be WAY too soon.

barryb4384

Jun 30, 2006

I agree, ESPN exposure, a chance at 2 million, and to play for a cause. Many teams are playing for a cause.

A Des Moines region would be awesome!

Seeds do have some effect as 3 #1s came out of the first weekend. Let's hope Iowa United is more like the 8 seed that made the other spot this weekend.

As for the fan contest, I still can't believe more people don't do it. I'm in line for $1000 or $5000 if my team wins it all. Figured why not sign up my wife. Did that last night and 20 minutes later, she is in line for $500 or $1000 if her team wins. 1 in 8 shot at winning money. 12.5% chance to win $500 or more? Yes please. And this year you didn't have to do all the recruiting of friends and sending links.

Good luck Iowa United. Great job putting the team together, should be a lot of fun win or lose!

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Eh, Wichita was actually easily doable for us; we go to TX twice a year now to visit my father (he's 95). Circumstances just prevented us from going this year. Despite the less than stellar results, we really enjoyed the last two tournaments. Although if I never see Aaron Craft on a basketball court again, it will be WAY too soon.

We purposely avoided Columbus because of Craft...no joke.
I agree, ESPN exposure, a chance at 2 million, and to play for a cause. Many teams are playing for a cause.

A Des Moines region would be awesome!

Seeds do have some effect as 3 #1s came out of the first weekend. Let's hope Iowa United is more like the 8 seed that made the other spot this weekend.

As for the fan contest, I still can't believe more people don't do it. I'm in line for $1000 or $5000 if my team wins it all. Figured why not sign up my wife. Did that last night and 20 minutes later, she is in line for $500 or $1000 if her team wins. 1 in 8 shot at winning money. 12.5% chance to win $500 or more? Yes please. And this year you didn't have to do all the recruiting of friends and sending links.

Good luck Iowa United. Great job putting the team together, should be a lot of fun win or lose!

Appreciate it. And yeah I don't know why more people don't do the stuff and pick a team. Easy money if you pick right and you don't have to recruit people which is nice.
And thanks for the support. I know hes a Hawkeye but Jeff Horner has been unbelievable. You guys would not believe how many phone calls and messages we made even in the last week.
We'll do our best... And again come out to the meet and greet in Ankeny on Tuesday. Should be a lot of fun.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Curious what happened to the Hilton Magic Legends team? It just fold?

Good luck this year.

I'll try to be as diplomatic as I can here but one of the things I did with some of our staff guys from last year (keep in mind I wasnt GM the last 2 years) was to sit down and write out all of the Iowa state guys we had contact with. Ended up being about 25 guys you could realistically talk to.
Well...8-9 have NBA or two way deals and cant play. Another 4 or so had flaked out like last year and 4 or so we never heard from.
So that really only leaves about 8 or 9 guys that can realistically play. Guys who I love like Bowie, Palo, etc. Good players but not going to win much and would be really hard to sustain.
So I thought this would be a fun way to bring all the fan bases together for one event. Gives us a bigger pool of players. Gives us a bigger fan base that will follow.
And just to be honest it just all needed to be run better. Needed to be funded better. And we are doing things socially that no other team in the tournament is doing for the players. Hope that answers your question

Last edited: