ESPN's Stanford Steve picks ISU to win the Big 12

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
What I am saying is that all five started last year, if the recruits are that much better, then why have they not replaced the starters we have? I love the recruiting that Campbell is doing, but its not like we are loading up on 4 and 5 star offensive lineman.
Lineman at many schools are made not highly ranked. What did Campbell say, when he got to Ames, we have 3 players that could bench press 300 or more pounds. I suspect we have more than that now, a lot more.
All five started last year, four are seniors, OLine has been a weakness for years, if we can not have a strong OL this year, then when will it happen.
That bench stat is pathetic. I benched 315 my junior year in high school.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, I don't think that can be interpreted as he picked ISU to win the Big 12. He certainly never said those words.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What I am saying is that all five started last year, if the recruits are that much better, then why have they not replaced the starters we have? I love the recruiting that Campbell is doing, but its not like we are loading up on 4 and 5 star offensive lineman.
Lineman at many schools are made not highly ranked. What did Campbell say, when he got to Ames, we have 3 players that could bench press 300 or more pounds. I suspect we have more than that now, a lot more.
All five started last year, four are seniors, OLine has been a weakness for years, if we can not have a strong OL this year, then when will it happen.

At Toledo, Campbell replaced a starting line of all seniors the next year with a new line of seniors. I have to think that is his goal here. May not see it until Year 6 or 7.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That bench stat is pathetic. I benched 315 my junior year in high school.

I agree but that is what the man said, and people wonder why Rhodes last teams were not winning as much as they should of.
If I remember the strength and conditioning coach said something about trying something new, to cut down on injuries that we were having at the time.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Has CMC had a top 50 offense at ISU?

We were 97th or something like that last year with Montgomery and Butler. We've never shown the ability to beat a blitz yet, but that's gone back long before CMC got here. We show little to no creativity or variety offensively either. We've handed it off up the middle or thrown deep outs and fly patterns about 95% of the time.

I'm holding out hope that we'll see something change this season, especially with Manning back (hoping he learned some things in the NFL), but not holding my breath.

Now I totally understand people will rip me up and down for my opinion on this, that's totally cool, I get it. I'm NOT saying I don't appreciate CMC and everything he's done, it's been awesome. He has brought us a LONG way. But this post was about someone picking us to win the Big 12, and in my honest opinion, that won't happen unless our offense can take a big step forward in a lot of ways.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What I am saying is that all five started last year, if the recruits are that much better, then why have they not replaced the starters we have?
First, starters Josh Knipfel and Colin Newell are both Matt Campbell recruits.

Otherwise, what part of “higher ceiling” did you not understand? Just because they have more base talent, doesn’t mean that they are ready to be better now. Experience tempers ability.

Redshirt sophomore Robert Hudson is behind Knipfel, who is probably NFL caliber. Redshirt freshmen Trevor Downing and Joey Ramos aren’t starting yet...partly because they just came off their redshirt and partly because Fall drills haven’t started yet...and partly because only the OL, experience and cohesiveness trumps raw talent—to a certain point.

love the recruiting that Campbell is doing, but its not like we are loading up on 4 and 5 star offensive lineman. Linemen at many schools are made not highly ranked.
Four and five star rankings often have to do with a player’s visibility, and also often only reflect how soon a player is ready to contribute. On the other hand, if rankings are all you’re looking at, redshirt junior Sean Foster—a Matt Campbell recruit—was a four star.

At the same time, Grant Treiber was “only” a three star—but I think he may prove to be as talented as an OL signed by ISU in a very, very long time. He chose ISU over Oregon.

What did Campbell say, when he got to Ames, we have 3 players that could bench press 300 or more pounds. I suspect we have more than that now, a lot more.
No. He said that we only had three player who could bench four hundred. And to be scrupulously accurate, that was because several others in the 400 Club had just completed their eligibility.

I already answered that. Why do I get the feeling I’m replying to somebody drunk posting?

Starting in 2021–at worst—the OL should be a major strength going forward.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I don't think that can be interpreted as he picked ISU to win the Big 12. He certainly never said those words.
He said "give me Iowa State". I'm not sure how else to interpret that. Maybe he was picking them as a value pick or something.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Has CMC had a top 50 offense at ISU?

We were 97th or something like that last year with Montgomery and Butler. We've never shown the ability to beat a blitz yet, but that's gone back long before CMC got here. We show little to no creativity or variety offensively either. We've handed it off up the middle or thrown deep outs and fly patterns about 95% of the time.

I'm holding out hope that we'll see something change this season, especially with Manning back (hoping he learned some things in the NFL), but not holding my breath.

Now I totally understand people will rip me up and down for my opinion on this, that's totally cool, I get it. I'm NOT saying I don't appreciate CMC and everything he's done, it's been awesome. He has brought us a LONG way. But this post was about someone picking us to win the Big 12, and in my honest opinion, that won't happen unless our offense can take a big step forward in a lot of ways.

Has he had a consistently experienced and healthy Oline? It's very hard to scheme when there's no push up front.

The offense hasn't been crazy under CMC and there's certainly games where the scheme wasn't great but to say he never utilizes the talent that's there is an exaggeration. If he didn't utilize the talent, David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler wouldn't have had the careers they had.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Has he had a consistently experienced and healthy Oline? It's very hard to scheme when there's no push up front.

The offense hasn't been crazy under CMC and there's certainly games where the scheme wasn't great but to say he never utilizes the talent that's there is an exaggeration. If he didn't utilize the talent, David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler wouldn't have had the careers they had.
For once I agree with Clonedude. The creativity has been frustrating under Campbell. I think he just wants that Oline to be the feature, and he is going to use trial by fire until they are what he wants them to be to a certain extent.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
First, starters Josh Knipfel and Colin Newell are both Matt Campbell recruits.

Otherwise, what part of “higher ceiling” did you not understand? Just because they have more base talent, doesn’t mean that they are ready to be better now. Experience tempers ability.

Redshirt sophomore Robert Hudson is behind Knipfel, who is probably NFL caliber. Redshirt freshmen Trevor Downing and Joey Ramos aren’t starting yet...partly because they just came off their redshirt and partly because Fall drills haven’t started yet...and partly because only the OL, experience and cohesiveness trumps raw talent—to a certain point.

Four and five star rankings often have to do with a player’s visibility, and also often only reflect how soon a player is ready to contribute. On the other hand, if rankings are all you’re looking at, redshirt junior Sean Foster—a Matt Campbell recruit—was a four star.

At the same time, Grant Treiber was “only” a three star—but I think he may prove to be as talented as an OL signed by ISU in a very, very long time. He chose ISU over Oregon.

No. He said that we only had three player who could bench four hundred. And to be scrupulously accurate, that was because several others in the 400 Club had just completed their eligibility.

I already answered that. Why do I get the feeling I’m replying to somebody drunk posting?

Starting in 2021–at worst—the OL should be a major strength going forward.

I was wrong it was 400 pounds not the 300 that I said, my mistake, , but we only had one not three.

Wade has his work cut out for him. Campbell noted that on last year’s Toledo roster (that beat Iowa State), 27 players on that team bench pressed over 400 pounds. When the Campbell staff arrived in Ames, only one Cyclone could do so
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/07/what-s-matt-campbell-s-plan-on-the-offensive-line/

Looking over our OL rankings since Campbell became the head coach, according to 247, we do not have one OL recruit over a 3 star. So unless we start bringing in 4 & 5 star Lineman, we are going to have to make them, and that takes times. You can use the link to go back to the preceding classes.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa-state/Season/2019-Football/Targets/

247 had Foster as a 3 star recruit,

https://247sports.com/player/sean-foster-31650/

Last edited:

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
...or this season could mean the mother of all nut cup kicks
(But I don't believe that and neither should other Cyclone fans. It's a new era!)

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Can you imagine what the hype would be like if Montgomery and Butler had come back for their senior season? I'm glad they are making bank, but the hype train would have been insane...

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
CMC has his work cut out for him to keep the team focused and not looking to the outside world.
I don't think that is going to be an issue at all. There is also their fair share of critics about losing DM and Butler and being ISU has never had sustained success in football I cant imagine this will be a problem.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't think that is going to be an issue at all. There is also their fair share of critics about losing DM and Butler and being ISU has never had sustained success in football I cant imagine this will be a problem.
There’s always critics and skeptics with Iowa state football. What never happens however is for us to get picked 3rd in the league and people from major networks actually picking us to win it. I’m not saying CMC can kept the guys heads on straight. I’m just saying it’s possible it’s gonna be a challenge to some degree.

Reactions: chadly82