MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

bherren

Dec 17, 2017
God lord this rookie ump behind the plate is having a absolutely brutal first two innings in the Yankee/Rays matinee. Running against the grain that the old umps are the worst calling balls and strikes. I'd swear he called a strike on LeMahieu that was several balls outside in retaliation of Boone jawing about the other bad calls. I was such a ridiculous call that I knew Boone couldn't let it go after barking about some that were only one ball diameter outside/inside. The kid is a sucker for catcher framing. Than he tossed Boone. Maybe the kid will settle in but I think he's showing he's going to retaliate via calls. Best part is the broadcast caught most of Boone's rant. Not profane, mostly just "You are off to a REALLY bad start today!" and the like.

Edit: Brutal plate ump settled in after blowing double figure calls after only 2 and a third innings.

I'm not sure if you meant the broadcast didn't show the profane parts or that the rant wasn't profane, but it was QUITE profane. Definitely got his money's worth on this one.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I'm not sure if you meant the broadcast didn't show the profane parts or that the rant wasn't profane, but it was QUITE profane. Definitely got his money's worth on this one.

Ha, no the broadcast got some of it (more than usual) but not the f-bomb finale. He had not been booted since May 1, not his usual thing.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yikes, that was close to being really bad! Luke Voit just took a pitch off his shoulder and jaw, if that hadn't caught a piece of his shoulder it would have been solid on his jaw. Stayed in the game as a runner and scored but out now. Probably going to the locker room for an ice pack.

Edit: Nothing Broken. Passed concussion protocol.

"I thought broken jaw. My teeth were going to be all scattered everywhere," Voit said Sunday. "I grabbed my face. So I was like, `Oh, oh.' ... But then, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Just a scary thing."

Voit was back in the New York Yankees' lineup at first base for Sunday's series finale against Colorado. His jaw was "super sore" when he awoke, but after icing there was only a little swelling. He said it felt as if he had been punched,

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I was just looking through the MLB standings this morning and thought I'd post some observations. Numbers are accurate before games scheduled for today (Sunday, 7/21).

*Most wins overall: Dodgers (66)
*Most wins, AL: Yankees (64)
*Fewest wins overall: Tigers (29)
*Fewest wins, NL: Marlins (36)
*Biggest lead in their division overall: Dodgers (+15)
*Biggest divisional lead, AL: Yankees (+10)
*Most home wins overall: Dodgers (39)
*Most home wins, AL: Yankees (36)
*Most road wins overall: Rays, Red Sox, Twins, Braves (30)

*Division leaders, AL: Yankees (+10), Twins (+3), Astros (+5.5)
*Division leaders, NL: Braves (+5.5), Cubs (+3), Dodgers (+15)
*AL Wild Card teams as of today: Indians (56-41), A's (57-42) (statistical tie), Rays (-2), Red Sox (-3)
*NL Wild Card teams: Nationals (52-45) +1.5 over Brewers (52-48), with the Cards, Phillies, D-backs, Giants, Pirates, Rockies, and Padres all within 5 games or less of the second WC spot

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Rockies finally decided to show up today. Too little to late though. Time to be a seller at the trade deadline.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Rockies finally decided to show up today. Too little to late though. Time to be a seller at the trade deadline.

Contenders are looking for pitching. Putting a "For Sale" sign on Wade Davis isn't going to get many buyers to kick the tires and think about taking on that contract. :rolleyes:

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
At this point, it looks like the Dodgers and Atlanta are running away with things in the NL, and Yankees, Houston, and Minnesota (and maybe Cleveland) in the AL.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Contenders are looking for pitching. Putting a "For Sale" sign on Wade Davis isn't going to get many buyers to kick the tires and think about taking on that contract. :rolleyes:

A man can dream. Who knows maybe a change of scenery will do him good. I just need to realize that with Colorado pitching will never work out. You can have a rotation with some of the best in the game and even they would get consumed by pitching in that mile high air.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of the trade rumors involving starting pitchers. I don't think many of them get moved. Lots of talk and teams sort of on the bubble regarding selling and asking too much. Maybe Stroman gets moved, the others, color me skeptical.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A week without sending someone to the IL isn't really a baseball week for the Yanks. Guessing Gary Sanchez is headed there. Wondering if they call up Kyle Higashioka or risk playing tonight with only one catcher. Not really a position you want to go all "wait and see" and risk having to use an "emergency catcher". Big series with Boston coming up so maybe they risk it for tonight though.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
8 years after being drafted ahead of the likes of Lindor, Rendon, Baez, Betts, Story, and more, Quarterback/Outfielder Bubba Starling is finally in the bigs. Been surprisingly good at the plate thus far.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Troy Tulowitzki has decided to hang it up. Been on the IL since the first week of the season. The Longhorns just hired him as an assistant coach.

Wish someone could talk Ellsbury into retiring but he's making 60X Tulu's salary and is content to just cash checks and rehab for a second straight year. And next year to.

Left an opening on the IL so the Yanks added Brett Gardner to the IL today. Because 2019 and Yankee injuries every week. o_O

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Atlanta has avoided the injury bug for the most part in 2019 but the law of averages has caught up to us this week. Dansby Swanson has been out with a heel issue for a few days and Brian Snitker said yesterday it's "worse than we thought". Dansby was set to the IL today. Really sucks because he's been having a great year.. seems to have finally figured things out with bat.
To make it worse, Markakis fractured his wrist after a HBP last night. Hopefully he can make it back by October because his veteran leadership and consistency are great to have. Adam Duvall is getting called up from AAA where he has been crushing the ball all year but I've gone from very confident in Atlanta winning the east, to slightly nervous. We'll learn a lot about the division over the next 5 days with the Braves @Philly and @washington. Be great to take 2 of 3 in both series'. It will also be interesting to see how 1) they respond to the adversity and 2) how this impacts deadline moves.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Troy Tulowitzki has decided to hang it up. Been on the IL since the first week of the season. The Longhorns just hired him as an assistant coach.

Wish someone could talk Ellsbury into retiring but he's making 60X Tulu's salary and is content to just cash checks and rehab for a second straight year. And next year to.

Left an opening on the IL so the Yanks added Brett Gardner to the IL today. Because 2019 and Yankee injuries every week. o_O

Tulo was one of the best for a number of years--the face of the Rockies franchise--and was at least on the path, if not down the road, for the HOF. He just couldn't stay free of injury.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tulowtr01.shtml#all_batting_standard

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeahhhhh... as a James Paxton owner in fantasy, his *** is benched until further notice.

It's weird, whole staff is tanking this month. Not sure what's wrong with Paxton, started out okay. Happs really strange to watch. Gets ahead in the count all of the time 0-2, 1-2 and cannot put the guy away.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Atlanta has avoided the injury bug for the most part in 2019 but the law of averages has caught up to us this week. Dansby Swanson has been out with a heel issue for a few days and Brian Snitker said yesterday it's "worse than we thought". Dansby was set to the IL today. Really sucks because he's been having a great year.. seems to have finally figured things out with bat.
To make it worse, Markakis fractured his wrist after a HBP last night. Hopefully he can make it back by October because his veteran leadership and consistency are great to have. Adam Duvall is getting called up from AAA where he has been crushing the ball all year but I've gone from very confident in Atlanta winning the east, to slightly nervous. We'll learn a lot about the division over the next 5 days with the Braves @Philly and @washington. Be great to take 2 of 3 in both series'. It will also be interesting to see how 1) they respond to the adversity and 2) how this impacts deadline moves.
Well they responded almost as good as you could. 15-7 drubbing of your division rival and that score makes it look closer than it was. I think it was 14-1 at one point. It was like batting practice for a while. Was happy to see Duvall perform well (3 for 5 with a HR) after finally making it back to the big leagues.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Each morning I check the transactions to see who my Yankees have added to the IL. :(

Last week it was Gary Sanchez. The other day it was Brett Gardner. Today it is CC Sabathia. The MVP so far this year, DJ LeMahieu, is likely headed there also. Just the way things have gone this year I doubt his groin strain miraculously clears up. They have been winning on smoke and mirrors all year with lousy starters and missing a slew of their stars. Not certain that it might not still catch up with them. Not a sustainable model.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Mo' rainy day ramblings...............

Still thinking the trade deadline deals are going to be very anti-climatic. Several of the bigger starting pitchers names are not going to be on the market now as some teams have climbed back into contention. No Verlander to Astro's level stuff here.

I, of course, am thinking mostly Yanks but think it applies across the board. Teams are asking just stupid returns. The Jays opening with "How about Gleyber Torres AND your #1 pitching prospect Deivi Garcia" for a middling rotation guy just highlighting how not serious some of the teams are. Detroit previously asked for Torres in Boyd trade talks. Hell, why not ask for Sanchez and Judge to? :rolleyes:

Help Support Us

Become a patron