Kempt, Lanning join ISU Football coaching staff

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I assume these positions can't go out and recruit but they could probably meet with kids on campus correct? Seems like Joel could help with recruiting in Iowa and Kyle could help with Ohio - not that the staff isn't doing a great job in recruiting already.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
If someone's acting up they go bare-knuckles with Joel is my guess.

I went bare knuckles with one of my coaches (assistant) at Iowa State once. It didn't work out well, for either of us.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
The linked news release doesn't really specify, but I suppose if they were grad assistants they would have been described as such. Quality control assistant sounds like a paid position, albeit a low-paying one.

Probably around $50K +/- for that position. Houston was making 50K before his upgrade to a coach and others that have been around a year or two are at 55K.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Probably around $50K +/- for that position. Houston was making 50K before his upgrade to a coach and others that have been around a year or two are at 55K.

The Register reported 30k but I’m wondering if that’s for half a year?

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I would purely speculate that they are "an assistant to an assistant." This is an excellent "perk" to the assistant coaches as it frees them up a tad and can get a quick briefing before they dive into their job and can be home a few extra hours at night.

This isnt normal at all. This is reserved for highly intelligent athletes who have their coaches full trust. Only other time I recall this happening at Iowa State is I believe Hoiberg did it with Bryan Peterson. Petersen went from this roll at Iowa State to head coach at Kirkwood. He won 2 junior college national championships at Kirkwood and recently cashed in to become the assistant coach at South Dakota State. My guess is in about 3 years or if he continues being successful he will get his chance to take another step up the ladder.

Also, something no one has mentioned. I believe both Kempt and Lanning are either engaged or married. Obviously their spouse supports this and obviously their spouse has household income as well. If they get $30K a year it isnt ideal but toss in your spouses income and you wont starve as long as both you and your spouse know your time is coming.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Joel must have a little more between the ears than the, " couldn't learn the playbook guy that was widely speculated ". Great to have two proven winners back.

Interesting how that speculation faded away during Lanning's career.