Are Husker fans setting themselves up for disappointment?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The hype regarding Nebraska football seems to be going off the rails this offseason. Nebraska finished out the season okay but still only had 4 wins. I thought that Adrian Martinez looked talented as well but I have no idea how the rest of the team is.

Many media members have the team in the top 10 and favorites to win the BIG.

With the hype surrounding Frosty the Coachman and the Nebraska football team, are the fans and Nebraska media setting themselves up for disappointment? It sure seems that way to me.

giphy.gif

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Probably for this year but this is part of the growing process. I’m not a big Nebby hater (I just don’t care) but Frost is legit and they are going to be a ND kind of program in that tier below the perennial playoff teams like Clemson, Bama, OU pretty soon. That’s just the way it’s going to be.
I would agree with this. Frost has got it going.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Maybe it was just the particular games I watched him last year, but I don’t get the hype for Martinez.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There is no doubt in my mind that Frost turns it around and the momentum swing will be this year. Go take a look at their schedule and you will understand why everyone is picking them o win the West.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The hype regarding Nebraska football seems to be going off the rails this offseason. Nebraska finished out the season okay but still only had 4 wins. I thought that Adrian Martinez looked talented as well but I have no idea how the rest of the team is.

With the hype surrounding Frosty the Coachman and the Nebraska football team, are the fans and Nebraska media setting themselves up for disappointment? It sure seems that way to me.

We can only hope! I hope they win one game this yr and that is their "rival" Iowa.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I don't know what it will take to see some of their fans truly brought low. That's my goal.

I would love to see them go 6-6 with a baby poop soft schedule. Frost failing to get it done would be sweet.

I agree, if he fails where do they go next? For him to fail it would set them back another 5-10 years

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think he'll be Pelini 2.0. Go 9-3 most years, and they should be happy with that.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
News in Omaha is talking National Championship hopes this year, so yeah, big let down. Let's see if they can handle Colorado in Boulder even. Big 10 West schedule is garbage as is their defense.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
News in Omaha is talking National Championship hopes this year, so yeah, big let down. Let's see if they can handle Colorado in Boulder even. Big 10 West schedule is garbage as is their defense.

First of all, **** that school and state.

People are seriously talking playoffs? They were 4-8 in a weak division last year. Big ten was left out of playoffs as well. I don’t care if there were close losses. You are what your record says you are.

Talk of Nebraska returning to some sort of glory is crazy. It’s still a school in the middle of nowhere and the state borders other states with little populations. Even more so now than 25 years ago. High schoolers today weren’t born when Nebraska was last relevant.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

I used to hope Nebraska would got the championship game and lose. Living in range of Nebraska television stations and no cable at the time, created that anti-Nebraska attitude of mine.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It's purely hype as of July 2019. Nothing has been proven yet. They also have a total trash defense. IMO, there are a lot more questions than answers at this point and let's be honest, this hype only has to do with what Frost did at the directional Florida school.
It was pretty clear that their defense drastically improved from September to November. I don’t think their defense was trash at the end of the year.

• Funny
Reactions: FatNTired

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
First of all, **** that school and state.

People are seriously talking playoffs? They were 4-8 in a weak division last year. Big ten was left out of playoffs as well. I don’t care if there were close losses. You are what your record says you are.

Talk of Nebraska returning to some sort of glory is crazy. It’s still a school in the middle of nowhere and the state borders other states with little populations. Even more so now than 25 years ago. High schoolers today weren’t born when Nebraska was last relevant.

It's fine to have expectations and hope. But how realistic is it to expect to go from a .333 record to .917 (No hope of making playoffs with more than 1 loss unless SEC)?

So yes, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. A rational fan should be maybe expecting 6-6 and hoping for 8-4. Anything above that is probably not realistic.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Maybe it was just the particular games I watched him last year, but I don’t get the hype for Martinez.
One thing to consider is that he was only a freshman last year. He didn’t always have great games, but he showed a lot of flashes while also battling injuries

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron