CF Chronicles: Larry's Last Days

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Very well done by Jared. I cannot wait for the next episode. Was very impressed by how well Jared told this story because he was very young when this whole thing went down.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb and Cyclone06

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Good work Stanz, that was some high quality podcasting. Some of my first ISU memories growing up as a Cyclone were the 1999-2001 teams that Larry coached. I think I was still too young to fully comprehend how everything went down with him a few years later so this is very interesting to revisit all these years later.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Top notch reporting! You have always been a solid contributor to CF, Jared, but this piece shows how much you continue to grow as a journalist! And, in any job, that is what we hope to do - continue to get better!

Reactions: Doc

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Loved episode 1 so far. Cant wait for the next episode(s). How many are there going to be? When will they come out?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Clonefan23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 26, 2019
I really enjoyed this a lot, Jared. I was only a couple years old when this all went down, but it was interesting to hear how the events unfolded. Of course I had seen pictures and heard a brief summary from my dad, but the first episode was great and very informative. Can't wait for the next one!!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Is Transfer U Part 4 dead at this point? I did enjoy this new one.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Awesome job on this, Jared. This was structured really well, I thought it was put together better than transferU. Can't wait for the rest!

• Agree
Reactions: jmb

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Tigerboard was one of my favorite fan forum websites back then because they always had people posting good information about all of the Big XII teams. I read about the pictures long before they were in the register. I think they posted the picture but then took it down. Along with the bashing of Larry in the forum there was also an interesting debate going on about what they should do with the pictures - if anything. Eventually someone from Iowa State started posting that the pictures had to have been altered because they knew for a fact that Larry was in his RV and headed back to Ames that night. Obvious spin control by someone but being an ISU fan I hoped that it was true - and then the register article came out.

I went back to Tigerboard yesterday and the format hasn't changed in 20 years.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good stuff! Interesting that the Register didn’t even post the worst picture.

I remember those pictures hitting the message boards. I also remember quite a few people trying to talk themselves into the pictures being photoshopped. I know I did.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Informative podcast (and I'm not usually I'm podcast guy). It has good pacing. Has useful info about the process and timeline for the initial reports, and decision-making that went along with it.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Good stuff! Interesting that the Register didn’t even post the worst picture.

I remember those pictures hitting the message boards. I also remember quite a few people trying to talk themselves into the pictures being photoshopped. I know I did.
I have looked for the "bad" picture. Can't seem to find it. If anyone has it please post as it would be interesting to see what was considered "bad" then.

• Agree
Reactions: isu83

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Outstanding work, these podcasts are the best content CF has ever had.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not bad for the SECOND best team in school history.

View attachment 65219

:p

Not to stray off the topic too much but that is a classic example how the SRS stat is flawed. That 99-00 team is the best team in school history and until another team makes an Elite 8 or Final 4 appearance that team is still the bar for being in the conversation of the best team. The 16-17 team finished in a 3 way tie for 2nd in the regular conference season and was 4 games back from KU who finished 1st while the 99-00 team won both the regular season and conference tournament titles.

I need to listen to this over the weekend when I get a chance (it's blocked at my work apparently.) I went to ISU during that time and to this day I still love that Eustachy era of our program. His teams played disciplined, hard nosed and fundamental basketball and were so fun to watch them with Fizer and Tinsley just dominate teams during that 99-00 season. Have gotten the chance to talk to a couple of his former players over the years and even had a little bit of behind the scenes knowledge of some of the stuff that went on during his practices when I was at ISU due to knowing people that had some of the players on their floor or 1 person who I can't remember exactly what he did but he attended practices from time to time. Some rather interesting stories both funny and some a little concerning about what went on back then, but one of his former players I talked with couldn't say enough good things about how hard Larry pushed him to be the best player he could be mixed in with some of the details about his drinking problem not being a secret to those around the program. In this day of age I'm sure some of his tactics would be frowned on but our society in general could use a little toughening up and thicker skin these days I think.

Really excited to see how Prentiss Nixon plays for us after playing for Larry at CSU too.