New Car "Advances" that you don't like

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I drive in the city and I don't mind it. There is a button to disengage it in my vehicle if I dont want it. Also, do you honestly think the engineers working for the auto manufacturers haven't thought this through and developed the technology so it doesn't destroy the engine? Its not new tech. Hybrids have been using it for a while now.

I work with mechanical engineers that do failure analysis on machinery, so I trust their assessment more than engineers who design and work for the people that sell the things.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Magic and Doc

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
This one apparently has a larger range. The last time the keys were in my wife's purse that was probably 15 feet or so from the car.

I have noticed that I couldn't start my wife's car with the FOB in my hand and reaching outside of the car to close the open door. The FOB must be inside the car.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I work with mechanical engineers that do failure analysis on machinery, so I trust their assessment more than engineers who design and work for the people that sell the things.
That.....makes no sense, but you got a nice ass so I'll let it slide.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I have noticed that I couldn't start my wife's car with the FOB in my hand and reaching outside of the car to close the open door. The FOB must be inside the car.
If my wife is messing with the car seat I have to tell her to lean in more so he purse breaks the plane so I can start the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Magic

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm a fan of most new technology.

Things I like
Keyless entry/Push button start=Great
Android Auto/Apple Carplay=Great when they offer both
Adaptive cruise=Some car companies are better than others. Works great on 2 lane roads, sometimes sucks on the interstate.
Cyclinder Deactivation=I've had it on two cars and it worked great on both (Ram truck and Acura RDX)
8 speed transmission/DSG transmissions
Lane Assist-Most of the time it's ok
Blind Spot Monitor (BSM)-Works good
Rear Cross Traffic alert-Only went off one time but it did it's job. I was mowing and my wife pulled out of the garage and it applied the breaks. Freaked her out but it worked.
Automatic Emergency Braking-Works good
Parking assist-Works good.
Heated Steering Wheel-Actually use this more than heated seats
Active Exhaust-Haven't had it yet but I would like the option
Drive mode-Like it. Turn it to sport and the steering firms up and the transmission turns sporty
Bluetooth-Why does I see a person this morning in a 100K lexus talking on his physical phone?
Heads up display-OK but I want to be able to turn it off
Self Driving-I want my next car to be Level 4 or above
Displays-Overall I like them but give me a knob for sound
LED Lights that move when you go around a corner-Like
Electric cars-I want one with Tesla Performance.

Things I don't like
Stop/Start-Disabled it in my BMW. Wifes VW you have to turn it off each time you get in the car.
GPS-Never use it with AA/Carplay. Even the newest maps are old.
Cooled seats-The car that I had it in made it feel like you had wet your pants
Automatic Liftgate-Hit/miss. Never use it.
Voice Recognition-Sucks compared to "OK Google"
CVT-Hate them
Automatic High Beam-Never use it
Fake engine noise through the speakers.

Last edited:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
For people concerned about engine damage with auto stop/start, that's not a thing. Hot starts are no big deal, it takes much longer than a red light for the oil to drain to the point it's a "dry" start. You do more damage when you start your car for the first time than in a days worth of driving with stop/start combined.

But I agree it's annoying. I've had to learn to anticipate and let up on the brake to restart the engine. Otherwise I go from brake to throttle, and immediately after restart it jerks off the line.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Yours must work a lot different then any I've had, you have to have the FOB inside the car to start it on all 3 vehicles I've had it.

Mine will drive though if you start it with the fob inside, then take the fob out of it. Like, if my wife has the fob in her purse and gets out of the passenger side to go into the garage or convenience store, I can still drive it. I haven't tested how far though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
WTH kind of fog lights you been seeing!? Fog lights in principal are designed to be low set to reduce reflection back to the drive vs your brights which are pointed much higher to cast light further down the road (also potentially into other drivers eyes).

Most issues with any kind of light is due to alignment of the beams.

A lot of pickups. I managed a dealership, blunt truth is, they just get installed and not actually set so it is kind of a crap shoot that they are aligned. Then most guys will have a toolbox, covers or other stuff in the back and that throws all the lights into a higher angle and sometimes causes sims to be more effective than brights.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Biggest annoyance is getting out of the vehicle for a few seconds to run into a store or pick something up or just any reason to get out of the vehicle. If I don't turn it off it honks twice to remind me that I've walked away from my running vehicle. I see the point but it still annoys me. People look at you like you've done something wrong. It even does it on the BACK doors. It should be disabled if there's another butt in any vehicle seat.

Also wish I could figure out how to leave my car running and locked. Often I have the pup inside and need to leave the A/C on for the duration. I've had a bit of success by bringing both fobs - I can then leave it running and locked, but it times out in 15 minutes so pup is then in the hot box. So have to be very careful.

I had a previous car that I could use the door combo to unlock it and that worked great. New one has the combo too, but doesn't work the same.

Related but I absolutely hate how our '17 constantly beeps at you when the keys leave the car but it's running. Yes someone is running into Caseys, get a grip and stop annoying me.

Do they have remote start? If I'm stopping into the gas station quick I'll turn the car off, get out, and press lock/start to remote start it and let it to keep the interior cool in summer and warm in winter. That way it doesn't give you the panic honk and you still have your keys.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
Mine will drive though if you start it with the fob inside, then take the fob out of it. Like, if my wife has the fob in her purse and gets out of the passenger side to go into the garage or convenience store, I can still drive it. I haven't tested how far though.

Yeah I think they'll all do that but that's not what he was talking about. I also don't understand how hard it is to put the FOB in your pocket and just leave it there, I love keyless.

• Winner

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Back up lights that come on when parked and people getting in / out instead of just for when car in reverse. Have to do a double take to verify if a car is getting ready to back out or just sitting there.
Alright, that one does bother me. GM cars do this a lot. Turning the brake lights on when nearby is fine, but turning the reverse lights on with it is annoying as all hell.

• Agree
Reactions: dmclone

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Automatic windshield wipers are awesome. No longer have to fiddle with the intermittent wiper settings as the rain increases / decreases...

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Back up lights that come on when parked and people getting in / out instead of just for when car in reverse. Have to do a double take to verify if a car is getting ready to back out or just sitting there.

This is one of the best ones so far.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
It is awesome, I'm just waiting for legal crap to mess it up. People blaming failed alerts although I'm sure it's written into the contract that it's not a failsafe.

But it's like how your car used to tell you how many estimated miles you have left, but now most of them turn to just saying "low fuel" or similar if you get under 50 miles.

Mine has both. I also know I can for at least 10 miles once the range gets to zero.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018

My college roommate put a backup beeper on his Buick because he is pretty cool like that. He wired it into the backup lights not realizing those turned on when he unlocked his car.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Also, HID headlights. They're great and all until you meet one on the road and it blinds you. When is too bright, too much?

Some of those are people popping HD bulbs into cars without the proper lenses and light leveling tech to have them. And half the population is driving big pickups and SUV that just have the lights up high to start with.