New Car "Advances" that you don't like

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm in a rental car right now and boy, do I hate this engine dying every time you stop technology that I've experience in a lot of cars. Talk about something that will cause of lot of engine wear to as the oil drains out....

I'm also starting to hate bucket seats that seem to be getting smaller and large middle consoles that don't give you any room.

This got me to thinking, besides the stupid blind side lights that go off at every tree, what else might there be that us old fogies are not liking on new cars.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I'm in a rental car right now and boy, do I hate this engine dying every time you stop technology that I've experience in a lot of cars. Talk about something that will cause of lot of engine wear to as the oil drains out....

I'm also starting to hate bucket seats that seem to be getting smaller and large middle consoles that don't give you any room.

This got me to thinking, besides the stupid blind side lights that go off at every tree, what else might there be that us old fogies are not liking on new cars.

Are you sure you're not just getting fat, because I have experienced the same thing and this is the conclusion I have drawn.

Also, the automatic brights can be annoying. I've been in vehicles where the car thinks the flashing lights on the wind turbines are break lights and constantly flips the brights off. Luckily this is usually easily disabled.

Last edited:

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
It’s not new but the ding ding ding sound when you open the door with the keys in the ignition might be the most annoying sound on earth. Can’t stand back up cameras either.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The "keyless" keys. We have them in our new vehicle and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone thinks they are a benefit. Like it was ever too hard put the key in the ignition and turn it.

My wife will keep hers in her purse. Someimes I will stay in the car while she runs into a store and she takes her purse and the damn thing repeatedly dings the entire time she is gone.

I have also, on more than one occasion, taken the car and forgotten the key. The key was in close enough proximity for it to start, so I figured it was in the car somewhere, only to drive a mile or so and have the thing freak out on me.

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
Grumpy old man thread, sweet. The automatic brights are nice when they work but I have had some issues with them, like brighting cops and others at inopportune moments. The best was this guy followed me home because the brights went on while I was behind him, was dusk and I guess they got confused. He turned around and followed me like a mile, didn't even realize it till I got out of the car. The look on his face going from pissed off to confused when I told him they were automatic was priceless though.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Currently having an issue with the traction control. I have a intermittent wiring issue that if I don't turn off the traction control every time I get in the car once in a while it will think the wheels are slipping and I lose power while driving. Can't people just learn to feather the gas or have it as on option you can turn on rather than forcing it on everyone.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Probably in the minority, but not a fan of everything motorized with the push of a button. For example: rear and middle seats that can be moved/flipped by hand, many now do it with a button push. Things will wear out and eventually fail and cost an arm and a leg to repair. Maybe they have a manual option? Just seems like a solution to a problem I didn't have and raises the price tag.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
The "keyless" keys. We have them in our new vehicle and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone thinks they are a benefit. Like it was ever too hard put the key in the ignition and turn it.

My wife will keep hers in her purse. Someimes I will stay in the car while she runs into a store and she takes her purse and the damn thing repeatedly dings the entire time she is gone.

I have also, on more than one occasion, taken the car and forgotten the key. The key was in close enough proximity for it to start, so I figured it was in the car somewhere, only to drive a mile or so and have the thing freak out on me.
I don't get this feature either. Yeah its nice but how lazy do you have to be not have to put a key in the ignition?
Plus, is there still a safety issue with this? Several years ago an older couple left their car running the garage and nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning. I know my wife and I could totally see her doing that too.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored