Uncle Randy - What's the Point?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
This is spot on. Whether you like Randy and his sidekick's style or not, you want to learn something you didn't know when reading their stuff. Rarely happens.
Agree that you can learn far more on CF. Sifting through all the crap is the unfortunate downside, however.
Eh, everyone has their opinion...sometimes the back and forth banter is worth the price of attendance. Those not worth the price of attendance...ignored.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I think it was MiKe Gundy of Oklahoma States press conference at big 12 media days. The second or third question was from freaking Randy Peterson asking about how they're going to handle Brock Purdy? Like wtf how about asking him about his own team and not Purdy??

I hate this guy.

Thought the same thing.

He also asked an Oklahoma St defensive back the same question.

The point of media day is to ask questions about the upcoming season, Randy. Not something that happened 200+ days ago and has absolutely nothing to do with the season.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I think he is a nice dude, but he is DREADFUL on the radio for Cyclone Insider. Man I enjoy the episodes when he is gone.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I think he is a nice dude, but he is DREADFUL on the radio for Cyclone Insider. Man I enjoy the episodes when he is gone.
I caught a bit of it last night, Randy was talking about how Brock Purdy needed to evolve from just having a great arm and running ability, I was really confused, what the **** else is he suppose to do Randy!? Fly? JFC

• Funny
Reactions: 2020cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I caught a bit of it last night, Randy was talking about how Brock Purdy needed to evolve from just having a great arm and running ability, I was really confused, what the **** else is he suppose to do Randy!? Fly? JFC

He was on the Morning Rush this morning and basically gave the same opinion.... Randy was really struggling with putting his words together and actually making sense. I was seriously starting to wonder of he was ok.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
He's at it again. Just can't stop himself from trying to get everybody riled up. Just can't let it drop.

Always pushing the narrative of getting Matt Campbell to the NFL. Why, Randy? Can't you come up with something original?

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-state-football-big-12-media-days/1742100001/

Campbell was asked at media day (by somebody other than RP) about his interest in the NFL. Without reading it, because I find the whole topic boring, if the story is about that, then it's a legit story.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
The columnist's job isn't to reflect your viewpoints. It's to reflect his or hers.

I've enjoyed the stuff coming out of Big 12 Media Days, but let's not get carried away. CF is a fan site managed by fans who happen to have journalism degrees.

For sports reporting on ISU, Dylan Montz at the Ames Tribune and Alex Halsted at 247 are doing the highest quality, most consistent, professional jobs. Tommy Birch writes some interesting stories here and there for the Register.

CF is what it is, which is a forum first and foremost. Any quality posts/articles are just bonus and certainly not the standard here. And that's fine.

You must not be consuming the same CF content that I am. Chris Willams is more than a "fan with a journalism degree" (same goes for Rob and Jared). Those guys work their butts off to put content together that captures stories and angles from events surrounding ISU athletics. To say this place is a "forum first and foremost" is just flat wrong. Chris is a professional broadcaster in a fairly large media market. Rob has history writing for the Register and other Iowa papers. Significant investment and effort is made in podcast and video channels. Articles and podcasts most certainly set the standard here.

If you haven't already done it, listen to Chris and Jay Jordan's wrap up podcast where they talk about the media landscape and media rights. Listen to Jay's recap of his side conversation with Bowlsby about conference legal strategy. That content and analysis is way beyond a couple of guys spitballing on a fan site.

Not trying to be a d**k but your comment came across as pretty dismissive of what this site is delivering day in and day out.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I want to see an hour long interview of Les Miles by RP. Now that would be comedy gold right there.
giphy.gif

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
I think Randy thinks he is far superior to all other media. I also think he is a Hawk and is pissed off because he can’t cover them

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Chris and his staff are putting together dozens of really great articles/podcasts/videos and those threads have about 5 replies each. Randy writes something about the NFL and Cyclone fanatic blows up.

Randy wins again.

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
You must not be consuming the same CF content that I am. Chris Willams is more than a "fan with a journalism degree" (same goes for Rob and Jared). Those guys work their butts off to put content together that captures stories and angles from events surrounding ISU athletics. To say this place is a "forum first and foremost" is just flat wrong. Chris is a professional broadcaster in a fairly large media market. Rob has history writing for the Register and other Iowa papers. Significant investment and effort is made in podcast and video channels. Articles and podcasts most certainly set the standard here.

If you haven't already done it, listen to Chris and Jay Jordan's wrap up podcast where they talk about the media landscape and media rights. Listen to Jay's recap of his side conversation with Bowlsby about conference legal strategy. That content and analysis is way beyond a couple of guys spitballing on a fan site.

Not trying to be a d**k but your comment came across as pretty dismissive of what this site is delivering day in and day out.
Randy is a *******

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I'm not discounting their effort. It's not a 9-5 job, that's for sure. And like I said, I've found the Big 12 Media Days coverage to be better than what I normally find here.

Rob produces good work. He and Blum produce the best writing on this site, but it's relatively infrequent.

The videos here are usually just press conferences and fluff interviews. Snoozers, but hey, everyone does it. The podcasts here aren't my cup of tea. I rarely learn anything new from either.

The articles are usually littered with typos and grammatical errors. And even when they aren't, they're producing the same fan-service angles as the Register/Ames Tribune/247. That's part of the modern beat, where the coaches and players rarely give any insightful interviews.

If you pay attention to ISU athletics with the fervor that many of us do, the coverage here isn't the standard. Sorry, that's just the truth. Halsted is the standard right now.

And if I'm looking for insight into secondary topics like media landscape and media rights, I can find more authoritative sources than CW and Jay. Once again, it might sound harsh, but it's the truth. Check out The Audible, The Solid Verbal, Campus Conversation, etc.

If you think CF is the standard for Cyclone-related content, I recommend expanding your horizons.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm not discounting their effort. It's not a 9-5 job, that's for sure. And like I said, I've found the Big 12 Media Days coverage to be better than what I normally find here.

Rob produces good work. He and Blum produce the best writing on this site, but it's relatively infrequent.

The videos here are usually just press conferences and fluff interviews. Snoozers, but hey, everyone does it. The podcasts here aren't my cup of tea. I rarely learn anything new from either.

The articles are usually littered with typos and grammatical errors. And even when they aren't, they're producing the same fan-service angles as the Register/Ames Tribune/247. That's part of the modern beat, where the coaches and players rarely give any insightful interviews.

If you pay attention to ISU athletics with the fervor that many of us do, the coverage here isn't the standard. Sorry, that's just the truth. Halsted is the standard right now.

And if I'm looking for insight into secondary topics like media landscape and media rights, I can find more authoritative sources than CW and Jay. Once again, it might sound harsh, but it's the truth. Check out The Audible, The Solid Verbal, Campus Conversation, etc.

If you think CF is the standard for Cyclone-related content, I recommend expanding your horizons.
This is harsh. These guys are pros and this is their livelihood. If you don't like it, maybe keep it to yourself?

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is harsh. These guys are pros and this is their livelihood. If you don't like it, maybe keep it to yourself?

They're big boys. I'm sure they hear much worse on social media. It's a great forum, and they've done a great job building the go-to online ISU community.