Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Beastie Boys
“Paul’s Boutique”
July 25, 1989

A fitting place to start — album was released almost exactly 30 years ago. Easy to forget how much of a change this was (for the most part) as the follow up to “License to Ill.” It keeps some of the same swagger (and still some misogyny, which the group grew away from), but this was the B-Boys first step into “artsy.” It’s loaded with killer samples, clever wordplay and pop culture references. There’s hardly a weak link on it.

I almost bypassed this cut because I’ve cited it so often in various CF music threads. But … It’s a must. It sets the tone for what’s about to follow.

If nothing else, Sounds of Science samples include intro to “Sgt. Pepper” and the guitar-jam from “The End.” Steal from the best! Also, they rhyme “phenomenon” with “yo, what’s goin’ on”

“Don’t’ touch the mic baby / don’t come near it."

“If I had a penny for my thoughts, I’d be a millionaire.”

This is one of my least-favorite tracks on “Boutique,” but need to include it. Third-highest U.S. charting single --- Only “(You Gotta Fight)…” and “Intergalactic” charted better. And that’s pretty much IT … “Sabotage” video was huge, but actual chart position wasn’t. Beastie Boys are definitely an “album band.

Video seemsoutdated today, but it’s an appropriate time capsule.

I also recommend the LP-closing medley, B-Boy Bouillabaisse.” I won’t post the link here.

Bonus: Here’s the full album intro with “To All The Girls” opener.

Well, this is the first and last album I'd add for 1989. It was huge - produced by the Dust Brothers, and was not loved by the public after the brat boy sound of "Licensed to Ill," but it was forward-thinking and made a pivotal change in the way the Beasties put out music. Many of the background tracks were half-written by the Dust Bros for use in the club, and they and the BBs worked together to make them magic (like "Shake Your Rump").

The Beastie Boys Book is definitely worth a read, if you haven't already picked it up.

Reactions: cyclones500

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
2 Live Crew release "As Nasty As They Wanna Be" While it was their third album it had the extremely controversial at the time "Me So Horny"

I listened to the hell out of this album back in those days. I didn't know much about them other than Arsenio Hall talked about them on his talk show. My parents bought it for me not realizing how graphic it was. To be honest, I don't think I knew how graphic it was before I bought it. I learned a lot listening to that album, though.

Last edited:

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
these were all on cassette walking across central campus being played on.
il_794xN.1291469663_ofxg.jpg

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Happy to say these guys came across the pond to play People's Bar and Grill when I was in school.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Young Fresh Fellows
“This One’s For the Ladies”
(no specific release date)

I’m about to enter the “obscurities” portion of my list. Sort of my M.O., especially around that period.

After a few albums of what could be pigeonholed as “novelty alt-rock,” Young Fresh Fellows took a slight turn with this album.

Notable for the addition of Kurt Bloch on lead guitar (succeeding founding member Chuck Carroll), changing the dynamic of the band’s sound. It made the group sound -- uh, “fresh.”

The group (which is still active) never lost its playful element, but this set of songs added nuance in lyrical theme and a little more of a rock edge, with a tinge of psychedelia. I like how the songs on blend into each other -- a fade-out isn’t completely finished when the next song bursts into the speakers.

-->Nutty nugget: YFF played at Paul Westerberg’s wedding reception.

“Do you miss him when he’s gone?”
“No.”

Sorry for low-quality of this video --- best I could find. Tad Hutchison -- one of rock ’n’ roll’s underrated drummers (and highly entertaining live).

Longest track on the disc. Nobody I hung with at the time liked this, but I did (and still do).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Well, this is the first and last album I'd add for 1989. It was huge - produced by the Dust Brothers, and was not loved by the public after the brat boy sound of "Licensed to Ill," but it was forward-thinking and made a pivotal change in the way the Beasties put out music. Many of the background tracks were half-written by the Dust Bros for use in the club, and they and the BBs worked together to make them magic (like "Shake Your Rump").

The Beastie Boys Book is definitely worth a read, if you haven't already picked it up.

I like your summary better than mine. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
#5 (Obscurities #2)
The Magnolias
“Dime Store Dream”
Oct. 30, 1989

Overlooked gem from ’89, although now, I realize the tracks are a bit “same-y," although it does give the album a definite identity. I think the band’s ’92 follow-up, “Off the Hook,” has some better-developed material, but I've listened to this much more often. Saw the Mags live numerous times, so that helps lift it into my top 5.

"I don't need a needle / You can stick it were you want."

This could’ve been included in OTN: More Cowbell

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am not anywhere that I can post links, but here are some of my top albums of 1989 (to be candid, I wasn't even ten at the time, so I was mostly listening to whatever early rap/hip hop, hair metal, Debbie Gibson, and NKOTB was on the radio at the time):

- "Paul's Boutique" - Beasties (see above) - "Hey Ladies" and "Shake Your Rump" are still incredibly danceable, but "Shadrach" and "Looking Down the Barrel Of a Gun" also have stood the test of time
- "Doolittle" - Pixies - maybe their best album? So many of their biggest songs on here, but I love "Debaser," "Here Comes Your Man," and "Wave of Mutiliation"
- "Pretty Hate Machine" - NIN - "Head Like a Hole" is still a favorite
- "Batman" - Prince - it's not his best work by any means, but man did I love that soundtrack back then.

Reactions: cyclones500

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
For country music, that year is known as the "Class of '89." Why? Because that was the year that brought Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Travis Tritt, Mary-Chapin Carpenter and Lorrie Morgan to the charts for the first time. Between them, they managed to win 28 (by my count) CMA awards over the course of their careers.

But I don't want to talk about them! I'm going to talk about the debut album by Suzy Bogguss (pronounced BOG-us, like "fog"), "Somewhere Between." This album would produce one top 20 hit, "Cross My Broken Heart," as well as the title track, a Merle Haggard cover that missed the top 40, and a few other covers. She was my favorite new(er) female country singer of the early 90s, especially with her album, "Aces," that helped her win the CMA Horizon (New Artist) award in 1992. She eventually ended up with a platinum and two gold albums, along with six top 10 singles. Her sound became a lot less 'western' over the next couple of albums, but I always loved her voice, no matter what she was singing.

"Somewhere Between"

"Cross My Broken Heart"

"I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart"

"I'm At Home On The Range"

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
For country music, that year is known as the "Class of '89." Why? Because that was the year that brought Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Travis Tritt, Mary-Chapin Carpenter and Lorrie Morgan to the charts for the first time. Between them, they managed to win a combined 28 (by my count) CMA awards over the course of their careers.

But I don't want to talk about them! I'm going to talk about the debut album by Suzy Bogguss (pronounced BOG-us, like "fog"), "Somewhere Between." This album would produce one top 20 hit, "Cross My Broken Heart," as well as the title track, a Merle Haggard cover that missed the top 40, and a few other covers. She was my favorite new(er) female country singer of the early 90s, especially with her album, "Aces," that helped her win the CMA Horizon (New Artist) award in 1992. She ended up with a platinum and two gold albums, along with six top 10 singles. Her sound became a lot less 'western' over the next couple of albums, but I always loved her voice, no matter what she was singing.

"Somewhere Between"

"Cross My Broken Heart"

"I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart"

"I'm At Home On The Range"

The pride of Aledo Illinios!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28