Horns Down now "depends on intent" for penalty

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Big 12 just got killed on national radio (Golic and Wingo) for this ridiculousness. Just a terrible look for the league.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Actually, the answer made sense to me. Just doing the horns down isn't a penalty in and of itself. But if you did it in the face of an opposing player, or maybe to the crowd, then it's taunting which is unsportsmanlike.

To me it's no different than spiking the ball out of joy, vs spiking it in someone's face.

I wish the officials had more leeway to use common sense on stuff. I'd prefer an honest official gut call, on targeting, is it a catch, or is it taunting, vs some horrifically complicated rule language.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Doing the horns down and dancing in an opposing players face is taunting and should be penalized. Celebrating a touchdown with your teammates and throwing it up after putting a whooping on them should not be. Pretty stupid to even have the conference talking about it on this level though.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's damn near worth the fifteen yard penalty just to get them all in a tizzy over something so trivial.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We need our own hand signal. [jimlad] :campbell:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Actually, the answer made sense to me. Just doing the horns down isn't a penalty in and of itself. But if you did it in the face of an opposing player, or maybe to the crowd, then it's taunting which is unsportsmanlike.

To me it's no different than spiking the ball out of joy, vs spiking it in someone's face.

I wish the officials had more leeway to use common sense on stuff. I'd prefer an honest official gut call, on targeting, is it a catch, or is it taunting, vs some horrifically complicated rule language.
With our luck, tt would probably be THIS ref:

Or one of these:

• Funny
Reactions: dirtyninety

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I must be part Vulcan because I can't stand it when things are not logical. So if I get this right, there can be a 15-yard penalty for using a Horns Down gesture. But the Texas players can do Hook Em Horns all they want because I have seen no mention of any possibility of a penalty for their gesture. So, the other nine teams in the conference will be penalized for an "offensive" hand gesture, but if Texas makes their "offensive" hand gesture, then we just have to take it? Nothing logical about that. If anyone has seen it reported where Texas can be flagged for using their gesture, then fine, at least then it would make sense.

• Winner
Reactions: flycy

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I think I heard every player in ou texas game got an unsportsmanlike penalty before the game so if they get 1 in game they are gone.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Unless a player is in the face of a UT player, being flagged for this is one of the more stupid things ever. Who decided this, the Big12 office?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Unless a player is in the face of a UT player, being flagged for this is one of the more stupid things ever. Who decided this, the Big12 office?
By the same token if the Texas player is "hook 'em, horns" in the face of an opposing player it is supposed to be flagged just as if they had done the horns down in the face of an opposing player. It is the act of taunting, not what the gesture is. Although they should also be nailing players who do the finger wag in a player's face or the exaggerated incomplete gesture right in the receiver's face.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I was just going to say this. Thank god we haven’t adopted a hand signal. The Baylor thing and TCU thing

In bars [out of stater] my friends and i like to stand up and spin around like a cyclone and make swooshing sounds with 1 finger in the air also spinning after isu big plays. We look like a bunch idiots and thats kind of the point. But typically other non isu fans enjoy the ridiculousness of it and we all have a good time. During the crazy comback against wvu a few years back we got the whole bar doing it. Was a lot of fun. It looks so stupid.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
What's our gang sign. Thumb and index finger brought together in a funnel shape pointed downward? Like an okay hand sign made pointing down and bobbing like a tornado touching down?