Big 12 Media Days Thread

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Reason number one why I love Matt Campbell. He said that when he first got here he got questions about entrance songs and uniforms. He said he’s glad not to get them anymore because they don’t matter.

As someone who thinks the constant uniform talk and entrance song talk is completely stupid, I appreciate that we have a coach that agrees. He plays the “game” because he has to—-he plays along with all of you. But it’s nice to know he thinks it’s stupid ;)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Mitchell...didn't play enough to lose the redshirt, correct?

Just seeing that he's labeled as a Fr.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Reason number one why I love Matt Campbell. He said that when he first got here he got questions about entrance songs and uniforms. He said he’s glad not to get them anymore because they don’t matter.

As someone who thinks the constant uniform talk and entrance song talk is completely stupid, I appreciate that we have a coach that agrees. He plays the “game” because he has to—-he plays along with all of you. But it’s nice to know he thinks it’s stupid ;)

There's an aspect that the uniform combos matter in that it's been used in other places to attract recruits, but overall the best thing that can happen is winning due to a clear cut vision and plan on how to get there.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There's an aspect that the uniform combos matter in that it's been used in other places to attract recruits, but overall the best thing that can happen is winning due to a clear cut vision and plan on how to get there.

Right. I just like the fact that he doesn’t give a **** about it. He plays the game because he has to.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Right. I just like the fact that he doesn’t give a **** about it. He plays the game because he has to.

Yep, so far ISU has been known for winning big games, having a true 'all in' culture, not what they looked like when it happened.

We may not always realize it but a genuine connection amongst those in the program can have some very high value.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

And because he's paid very well to do so. The PR aspect of the job is one that a lot of coaches don't like, but it's part of the HC job they've agreed to do.

PlanoClone

Mar 27, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I'm probably missing something but why doesn't Deshaunte Jones appear in any of the pictures I've seen? I thought he was making the trip.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
With all due respect is there really any reason to talk about uniforms and entrance music anymore since it's been changed since they got here?

• Agree
Reactions: Sparkplug

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
So nobody's talking about the smack down that CMC laid down here today? I mean talking about things that don't matter like uniforms and entrance songs. Things that don't matter.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I think both of those things DO matter to the program. They just don't matter one bit to the product on the field and winning football games. They are just marketing items for fans and/or players.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I think both of those things DO matter to the program. They just don't matter one bit to the product on the field and winning football games. They are just marketing items for fans and/or players.

Marketing is part of recruiting...recruiting is part of the product on the field...the product on the field is part of winning football games. It makes a difference and it all goes together. It’s not so easily separated. I’m sure it isn’t what the coaches really like to talk about, but it matters to a degree.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: cyence and CyFy

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Marketing is part of recruiting...recruiting is part of the product on the field...the product on the field is part of winning football games. It makes a difference and it all goes together. It’s not so easily separated. I’m sure it isn’t what the coaches really like to talk about, but it matters to a degree.

Yeah but those marketing things are the ADs job. I think Matt is just obsessed with football and it shows. Those really aren't part of the winning football process.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan and ComCY

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Yeah but those marketing things are the ADs job. I think Matt is just obsessed with football and it shows. Those really aren't part of the winning football process.
Campbell is just the definition of a good employee... He is doing his job and he also does the extra things that will continue to make him successful and round him for other potential job opportunities in the future. He's tge type of person that you know will be successful in whatever he does.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

I’m not saying uniforms and entrance music is a huge part, and I’m absolutely sure it’s a heck of a lot more fun for Campbell to answer football questions rather than a dumb entrance music question...that’s a given. Frankly those questions probably persisted at least one season too long. I take his statement as a way to turn the corner on the conversation the media should have with him, focusing on the more important topics, rather than what the football support staff is there to do.

But with that said, in general I take a broader view of marketing; the coaches and players are selling the program to recruits, and part of that is promoting and maintaining a fun environment in various aspects (creative media/twitter, uniform combos, fans/Gameday atmosphere, locker room atmosphere).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron