Generation Y and Z Debt

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My wife's parents paid for her school. The four years that she was in school the S&P 500 went up about 51%, for about 12.75% per year. Subsidized loans were about 4% and private loans were about 7%. Her family would have been better off maxing out her loans and keeping their money invested in the market.

Hindsight is 20/20. Just be grateful they were able to and willing to help her out. Maybe you'll be able to time the market for your kids.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone101

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hindsight is 20/20. Just be grateful they were able to and willing to help her out. Maybe you'll be able to time the market for your kids.

Yeah, any plan that involves timing the market (in hindsight) is moonshine. If you could time the market, you would eventually be the richest person in history.

None of this small beans stuff would matter.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclone101

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Yeah, but then your wife will want to have kids. And that's even more expensive than being single. Act accordingly...

The trick is to marry a teacher.

1. Doesn't make a lot of money so financial planning for a child is difficult in and of itself.

2. Is responsible for up to 30 kids at a time. This is a natural contraceptive.

Source: Wife and I are both educators. But I am in need of some more material to hold off the kid discussion for a little longer so if you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

1. Doesn't make a lot of money so financial planning for a child is difficult in and of itself.

Source: Wife and I are both educators. But I am in need of some more material to hold off the kid discussion for a little longer so if you have any advice I would really appreciate it.

Have her spend some time on CF and remind her there’s a possibility your kid could end up like us.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

They poop overnight at first. A lot. No one told me that. Or that you might get one who thinks sleeping through the night is for the weak babies. 358 days he has held strong .....not that I'm counting....

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Can you read...?

I never said healthcare was not expense and had bad outcomes in the country. The literature is very clear about each of those things, as you cite, but...

...you are not addressing the point, as usual.

There is no evidence it is because of the roughly 50% of our population covered by third-party payers, sometimes for-profit insurance companies, through the employer-provided system. Medicare is expensive compared to other countries when you use the same comparisons and data, too, and that is a government-run single-payer.

The public record of their profit numbers is wayyyyyyy too small to explain those differences.

Seems like you went off a little early trying to anticipate I point I did not make.

Lets cut to the chase here, your wife is a doctor, you are acting just the like tobacco institute when I was a kid. Any study that showed a connection between smoking and cancer, they would release a study casting doubt on it.
Our current system costs Americans more than any country in the world, and our health care ranks 27th in world. We pay the most and that is what we get, 27th? We are paying for a Mercedes and getting a VW.
I can see want you want to cast doubt on single payer or any other change from the status quo that we currently have. You have a vested interest in not seeing it changed.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-ranks-27th-for-healthcare-and-education-2018-9

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Lets cut to the chase here, your wife is a doctor, you are acting just the like tobacco institute when I was a kid. Any study that showed a connection between smoking and cancer, they would release a study casting doubt on it.
Our current system costs Americans more than any country in the world, and our health care ranks 27th in world. We pay the most and that is what we get, 27th? We are paying for a Mercedes and getting a VW.
I can see want you want to cast doubt on single payer or any other change from the status quo that we currently have. You have a vested interest in not seeing it changed.
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-ranks-27th-for-healthcare-and-education-2018-9

What a moronic post.

-- Comparing me to a tobacco executive dying the dangers of smoking, which were called "coffin nails" as early as the 1930s, is offensive and patently absurd.

-- When and where did I say I did not want change?

-- When did I ever say our system was doing anything other than producing poor outcomes for high costs? I just said that isn't because of private insurance.

-- I thought I was the one that said most of the money was flowing into the healthcare industry itself... doctors, nurses, techs, facilities, equipment manufacturers, etc., rather than into the insurance companies, which is factually true.

The money ain't with Aetna and UnitedHealth. It's with providers.

Every one of your posts and responses takes the form:

@SEIOWA CLONE -- *blatant misunderstanding or factual errors*

@Sigmapolis -- *gentle correction with factual information*

@SEIOWA CLONE -- *changes the subject to something completely unrelated and pretends that somehow refutes the facts you cannot deal with*

@Sigmapolis -- *points this out, further facts*

@SEIOWA CLONE -- *aggressively mischaracterizing of my points, accuses me of being shill for whatever bogeyman you think is the bad guy*

Do you have brain damage?

If I were a shill or a lobbyist for an industry, I could be having a lot more bang for my buck for my time involved than posting on here about your various myths and legends.

Private insurance is not what is making my wife her salary. Most of her patients are on Medicaid and CHIP, anyways, so the reimbursement rates are pretty sub-par. You fit in here, though, turning vicious and personal when confronted with difficult facts.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

My GF of 4 years falls into the teacher category, and I worked in a non-profit for 7 years after college before going private sector. I can confirm all this. Except my gf is still on the "put a baby in me" path.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonClone

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My GF of 4 years falls into the teacher category, and I worked in a non-profit for 7 years after college before going private sector. I can confirm all this. Except my gf is still on the "put a baby in me" path.

Get married first. For the love of Cy, get married before you squirrel away your nut collection for the winter.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Making an addendum to my previous post comparing my degree with my son going for the same degree. Checked a few sites to see what starting wages now and they were quoting 44k for a starting ag officer. Computing what this would be compared to when I started 25 years ago, it is right at a 3% annual increase. So it appears that the Ag industry has kept pace with everything, I won't speak for the other majors since I do not have the information and knowledge on them as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Bobber

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Kids are sticky?

• Funny
Reactions: SimpsonClone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Why aren't you fertile? Standing too close to the microwave making hot pockets? I come from hearty Cyclone stock if you need the assist and don't mind ugly babies.

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
I'm in my early 30s and graduated from ISU with student loan debt that I (my wife and I) paid off a couple years ago. I was one of those lucky ones who's parents didn't pay a dime because "their parents didn't help them and they turned out better off for it". Unfortunately, they also made enough that I didn't qualify for any grants either.

And honestly...I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I am better off for it. There was definitely some soul searching along the way where I realized I had to grow up and really make things happen through hard work and perseverance in order to have the lifestyle I expected for myself. The sense of achievement that comes along with knowing damn well that you and only you made it happen is something that propels you to achieve in your adult life. I'm not convinced I would be the professional I am today without that experience.

bear24

Aug 7, 2018
Yeah, I don’t buy that you’re actually 28.

I’m also in my late 20s. There isn’t a single person in my friend group who lives at home, or thinks this way.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree on my age? My guess is you did not grow up in a rural area, could be the reason you don't know people our age that share my opinion.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree on my age? My guess is you did not grow up in a rural area, could be the reason you don't know people our age that share my opinion.

Not what I said

None of them want to live at home with their parents for the “comfy lifestyle” (and none do).

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I am well aware our healthcare spending is high compared to the rest of the OECD. Heck, I thought I went ahead and said that in my post?

But it is not because of health insurance company profits.

Those are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too small to explain the difference.

The Economist did a very basic study of why medical costs are so much higher in the USA, and looked at returns (can't recall exactly which metric) for several different sectors - hospitals, insurance companies, drug companies, etc. Most of them had normal returns, which would not be considered excessive or gouging.
The one area that did was "specialty processing" which are companies who navigated the rules and bureacracy that the hospitals, insurance companies, etc could not figure out. So these companies were charging a lot for that service, and if you think about it, that is total wasted effort and expense (muda for you Lean people).

I tried to google the article but could not find. Sorry if I don't have it quite right, going from memory.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I did grow up in a rural area. Funny, the only ones in my friend/relative cohort I know still taking lots of assistance from parents in their 20's..............are the ones who would hold the same attitude as you on the topic. Bootstraps and such. While living with parents until mid-20s or in a rental paid by parents. It's interesting the cognitive dissonance that goes on with that and how they seem to have convinced themselves it's something they are owed instead of something they should be grateful for.

My friends living in urban areas all pretty much stopped taking help after graduation and the only ones who have had parents living with them - the parent moved in with THEM to recover from surgery for a couple months.

bear24

Aug 7, 2018
I did grow up in a rural area. Funny, the only ones in my friend/relative cohort I know still taking lots of assistance from parents in their 20's..............are the ones who would hold the same attitude as you on the topic. Bootstraps and such. While living with parents until mid-20s or in a rental paid by parents. It's interesting the cognitive dissonance that goes on with that and how they seem to have convinced themselves it's something they are owed instead of something they should be grateful for.

My friends living in urban areas all pretty much stopped taking help after graduation and the only ones who have had parents living with them - the parent moved in with THEM to recover from surgery for a couple months.

That is interesting, I have had the exact opposite experience.