On That Note: To the 9’s (part 3) 1989

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to On That Note, CF’s home for music discussion and obsession, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

This week, we continue “To the 9’s,” a decade-by-decade look at top LPs, from 1959 to 1999.

The focus for Segment 3 of the series: Albums released in 1989.

Basic format: Include artist name, album title, and no more than 5 song samples. Elaboration encouraged, such as qualities you admire about the album and why it endures for you.

My first choice is coming shortly, in a separate post.

Listen to part 1 (’59/’69) and part 2 (’79) here.

Reactions: MeanDean

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Paul McCartney - Flowers in the Dirt.

If nothing else this album was the catalyst for McCartney to tour again - in support of this LP. He had last toured in 1976 so had been 13 years which was a long time!

I went to see two shows in late 89 in Chicago on consecutive nights. Then in 1990 he resumed the tour, stopping in Ames/Cyclone Stadium.

Speaking as a long time fan, McCartney can run the gamut of too soft and sentimental to trying to be the anti-crooner rocker man. When he gets it right he's the best. For my money two of his best solo songs are on this one, This One and Put it There. The leadoff track Figure of 8 was often the opener on that tour.

I also remember one of my former college roommates with me and another buddy staked out the pre-concert press conference location in hopes of a sighting or more importantly, an autograph. The first buddy brought along his 24" x 40" FRAMED promo poster for Flowers In the Dirt. His logic, which I can't fault, was that if McCartney DID walk by that was something he would probably stop at. Of course it didn't happen but good memories never the less.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The Connells - Fun and Games

Sadly, by about 1986 or so I had begun to drift out of following popular music, especially with regards to newer acts. I did continue to pick up new works by artists I had already been fond of. Fortunately one of my old college roommates had access to better radio stations than I did so was still keeping up. He got this one and made me a cassette dub and I did really like it.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I can't believe it's been 30 years since this album came out--and I would say the last great Stones album. This is one of my favorite of their "slow" songs (which are almost always Keith Richards songs).

The last time I saw the band was in 1989--in Ames. It was a great show. The first song was Start Me Up. We stood--and remained standing the rest of the show--along with everyone else.

In the video for Mixed Emotions, I'm seeing (I think) another guitar player who is not Richards, Wood, Wyman, or Jagger. Anyone know who this is? Wikipedia doesn't list anyone else.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Beastie Boys
“Paul’s Boutique”
July 25, 1989

A fitting place to start — album was released almost exactly 30 years ago. Easy to forget how much of a change this was (for the most part) as the follow up to “License to Ill.” It keeps some of the same swagger (and still some misogyny, which the group grew away from), but this was the B-Boys first step into “artsy.” It’s loaded with killer samples, clever wordplay and pop culture references. There’s hardly a weak link on it.

I almost bypassed this cut because I’ve cited it so often in various CF music threads. But … It’s a must. It sets the tone for what’s about to follow.

If nothing else, Sounds of Science samples include intro to “Sgt. Pepper” and the guitar-jam from “The End.” Steal from the best! Also, they rhyme “phenomenon” with “yo, what’s goin’ on”

“Don’t’ touch the mic baby / don’t come near it."

“If I had a penny for my thoughts, I’d be a millionaire.”

This is one of my least-favorite tracks on “Boutique,” but need to include it. Third-highest U.S. charting single --- Only “(You Gotta Fight)…” and “Intergalactic” charted better. And that’s pretty much IT … “Sabotage” video was huge, but actual chart position wasn’t. Beastie Boys are definitely an “album band.

Video seemsoutdated today, but it’s an appropriate time capsule.

I also recommend the LP-closing medley, B-Boy Bouillabaisse.” I won’t post the link here.

Bonus: Here’s the full album intro with “To All The Girls” opener.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Replacements
“Don’t Tell a Soul”
Feb. 1, 1989

My hunch is, most early Mats fans abhorred this album. Maybe they feel differently now. Certainly not as revered as its 3 predecessors (Let it Be; Tim; Pleased to Meet Me), and it’s kind of an acquired taste. Sounds like a recipe for “underrated,” and I think that fits. Didn’t know what to think the first time I heard it, but it grew on me. And some of it was — gasp! — radio-friendly.

“It’s too late to turn back / Here we go.”

This was about as "big" as The Replacements got. Among my five favorite music videos of all time. Ironic, perhaps, since the band attempted the eschew video for years, and the ones they did produce were largely mockery of the form.

This song still gives me goosebumps. I can't explain why.

Despite a more mainstream-lean, the band could still scorch.
“You press your luck / up against his body”

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I turned 16 years old in 89. These albums were the soundtrack to the new found freedom that came with getting my driver's license and the endless hours spent "cruising" with my friends

Skid Row (self titled album)

Dangerous Toys (self titled album)

W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children

Tesla - The Great Radio Controversy

Warrant - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Camper Van Beethoven
“Key Lime Pie”
Sept. 5, 1989

For a few years, I categorized this album as “depressing,” then I changed the definition to “heavy.” Both assessments were based somewhat in comparison to Camper’s previous output. This is thematically and sonically heavier than previous LPs. It’s chock-full of historic and social references, not always presented directly, sometimes satirical and at times literal. I don’t wanna spin this disc once a week or anything, but when I return to it now & again, it may sound even *better* than it did at the time.

“We saw, on the screen, his face for a moment / No time to plea, or even ask why.

"In black and white life is so easy / And we're all coming along on this one."

Cover of the 1968 song by Status Quo.

"I was born in a cul-de-sac."

Reactions: Angie and Cydar

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Stevie Ray Vaughan
In Step
His final studio album before his death. I am a big fan of his guitar work.
I lived in the dorms when his first album was released. I was listening to it when someone from down the hallway came into my room. I'll always remember what he said to me:
"He's pretty good but he ain't no George Thorogood."

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I was born in 1990. So my childhood had a fair amount of raffi involved. Mainly his Christmas album. His album Raffi in Concert With the Sunshine Band was released in 1989 so that's what gets to be included. Some dandy's here.