Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When I was in school, halls like barton and maple were all female, and others were either all male or female. Now BWR and oak/elm are the only all unisex dorms. We would have 1-2 sister floors also, I doubt they do that now with most being co-ed.
My freshman year of college was the first year that Wazzu offered coed dorms (alternating floors). My father was horrified and very nearly forced me to go to Whitworth College, which at the time had a smaller enrollment than my high school. Talked him out of it because my dorm was part of an all-female complex (three dorms linked by underground tunnels...we could go to breakfast in our jammies & curlers. Sophomore year they made one of the dorms an upperclass study dorm for men (like Buchanon is...or was). Really sucked, because now we had to get dressed & put our make-up on (yes - vanity!) before going to breakfast. Grrrrrr...

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Our first girl was pretty good when it came to sleeping. The second was awful. She would roll around at night until her covers were off, and at about 3 am she would wake up crying because she was cold. This went on until she was old enough to cover herself back up, but guess who still wakes up around 3 am every night?
My boys had completely different sleep patterns after infancy. Both were pretty good sleepers as infants, giving me 6-hour stretches by 3 or 4 months old. Then they diverged. The older one is like me, didn't need a lot of sleep, so six hours was pretty much it for him. Fortunately he learned very early on how to amuse himself with his mobile, and didn't do a lot of screaming. The younger was like his father and would sleep 18 hours out of every 24 if I let him. He would put himself to bed for naps or bedtime. There were times when he was a toddler when I would hear a tired cry from his bedroom and i would go into his room & find him grabbing the bars of his crib and pressing his little face against it. I would lift him up & put him in it & he'd be out like a light.

They are still like that today - older son sleeps about 6 hours a night, younger one 8-10...and "younger" one turns 40 in a couple of weeks. :D

Reactions: oldman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With old acquaintances staying with us from tomorrow through Sunday for a wedding and leaving on Sunday for Oshkosh my anxiety is in high gear. Also interviewing today for a position that now that I have found out more I don't really want. At the point that I would be more relieved if I don't get it and stressed if I am offered it. Already sent the hiring manager one email yesterday.

Yay adulthood....

You could sing the Mel Brooks High Anxiety song. I sing the refrain all of the time in the summer but have changed the words to "High Humidity" which I try and sing in the same off key manner that Brooks did. In the winter I flip the words back to the original. Mostly sing it after I read the national or local news.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
With old acquaintances staying with us from tomorrow through Sunday for a wedding and leaving on Sunday for Oshkosh my anxiety is in high gear. Also interviewing today for a position that now that I have found out more I don't really want. At the point that I would be more relieved if I don't get it and stressed if I am offered it. Already sent the hiring manager one email yesterday.

Yay adulthood....

I'm considering it informative that interviews happen.
I didn't know hearing back was a thing.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My freshman year of college was the first year that Wazzu offered coed dorms (alternating floors). My father was horrified and very nearly forced me to go to Whitworth College, which at the time had a smaller enrollment than my high school. Talked him out of it because my dorm was part of an all-female complex (three dorms linked by underground tunnels...we could go to breakfast in our jammies & curlers. Sophomore year they made one of the dorms an upperclass study dorm for men (like Buchanon is...or was). Really sucked, because now we had to get dressed & put our make-up on (yes - vanity!) before going to breakfast. Grrrrrr...
Just an FYI. Men usually prefer to see women when they are not dressed.

• Funny
Reactions: BuffettClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, that escalated quickly. :eek: Went from no storms forecast to instant thunderstorm. Was out biking and beat it home by a couple of blocks except for some ice cold big drops. Didn't roll in so much as just generated right on top of us. @wxman1 would like it. Now we got ground contact lightening and instant ground fog. Dew point was 73 and this rain is COLD.

Only went biking because some of you are working in this humidity. It didn't seem right to laz in A/C comfort. :rolleyes:

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Both kids squads qualified for State so boys' team this weekend and girls' team next weekend. No RAGBRAI (not even a day) for the first time in something like 20 years.

giphy.gif

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I was one that most were surprised if I made it to a meal sober. To say I drank more than I should have is accurate. Probably why i average maybe a drink a month now. Don’t want my kids to think getting hammered is normal.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I was one that most were surprised if I made it to a meal sober. To say I drank more than I should have is accurate. Probably why i average maybe a drink a month now. Don’t want my kids to think getting hammered is normal.
I'm trying to figure out how this was a response to me. :D

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Both kids squads qualified for State so boys' team this weekend and girls' team next weekend. No RAGBRAI (not even a day) for the first time in something like 20 years.

giphy.gif

Which sport soccer? Good luck to them no matter what the sport.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I guess I'm old school but I really prefer having visitations for funerals the night before the funeral instead of 2 hrs before the funeral.

The exceptions to this are really old people where they don't have friends or family left. Just had a visitation for a friend in his 60's lots of people were there but probably not near the number if an evening was available. It's hard for people to get off during the day. Lazy funeral directors are not high on my list of appreciated people.

Status
Not open for further replies.