Travel Tips: Glacier National Park

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Get there sooner rather than later. The dwindling glaciers will soon, in geological time, disappear.

Will the USNP Service have to change the name to the Park Formerly Known as Glacier NP?

gallery_hero_il_fullxfull.1147860493_30rp.jpg

National Park

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Only seen two grizzlies hiking. One was in Alaska and one at Glacier. This is not RMNP. Talk as you hike so you don’t surprise anyone. Kalispell is my favorite town in America.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yes, there is tons of good hiking in the area outside of Glacier Park if you don't want to fight the crowd or drive up to Logan's pass every day.

Glacier has a lot of peaks that can be climbed with no climbing gear as well. Oberlin peak and Reynold's peak are accessible from Logan's Pass and you get a lot of bang for your buck with those, and avoid the crowds that tend to be on other trails like Avalanche or the high-line trail. Oberlin can be done by people that almost never hike and aren't in great shape. Reynold's is a little more strenuous but you probably can't get a better view for a 5-6 hour rounds trip hike. Both of those hikes, but especially Reynold's, can be difficult to find the trail at times so do some research before hand. Most of the path can be seen from Google Earth. I'm guessing only a handful of groups go up Reynold's each day, so its a good one to get away from the crowd.
If I’m doing this right, Logan’s Pass is the trailhead right? Are there other Trailheads that aren’t as smashed full of people?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I am quite spoiled have a sister that lived near Kila (now lives in Roy, MT.) for 18 years and a brother in Kalispell. Kayaking in Lake McDonald or Flathead. Polebridge is worth a visit. Get in on the west side of Flathead Lake paddle about 1/2 mile north. up on the big cliff is where they are. Apgar is a beautiful view of Lake Mcdonald. It makes you want to sing America the Beautiful. Biking up Going to the sun road the ride down is awesome. My brother avoids hiking in the tourist months. Biking and kayaking are his summer pastimes.
http://www.outlookinnbandb.com

Reactions: merx

merx

Sep 6, 2011
Kalispell, MT
Yes, there is tons of good hiking in the area outside of Glacier Park if you don't want to fight the crowd or drive up to Logan's pass every day.

Glacier has a lot of peaks that can be climbed with no climbing gear as well. Oberlin peak and Reynold's peak are accessible from Logan's Pass and you get a lot of bang for your buck with those, and avoid the crowds that tend to be on other trails like Avalanche or the high-line trail. Oberlin can be done by people that almost never hike and aren't in great shape. Reynold's is a little more strenuous but you probably can't get a better view for a 5-6 hour rounds trip hike. Both of those hikes, but especially Reynold's, can be difficult to find the trail at times so do some research before hand. Most of the path can be seen from Google Earth. I'm guessing only a handful of groups go up Reynold's each day, so its a good one to get away from the crowd.
Going-to-the-Sun Road is a very scenic drive. Free Shuttle service available/
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Food suggestion: MacKenzie River Pizza Company-"Best pie in the Big Sky". Think there are a couple of locations in Kalispell.

Also check out: Moose's Saloon in Kalispell.
https://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/02/09/an-enduring-legacy-at-mooses-saloon/

Moose's and MacKenize River are both great suggestions. MacKenize River has two locations in Kalispell and one in downtown Whiteifsh. I like to start with Lodepoles , and finish with a Mack Lovin' at MacKenzie.

I should also mention Piggy Back BBQ in Whitefish because they sponsored my curling team for two years, solid hush puppies.

Reactions: isutrevman

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not sure what your previous National Park experience is - but Glacier has a lot less "touristy" things to do than a Yellowstone or RMNP. A lot of it is backcountry, and as mentioned above the hikes off the main road are busy and fill up quickly in the summer.

When we went my wife's aunt who lives in Whitefish acted as tour guide for us, which was awesome. We only spent 2 days in the park though. We did the Avalanche lake hike and Lake MacDonald the first day, then went over the pass and and spent most of the second day on the east side of the park. A boat ride on Two Medicine Lake was really neat, and then we ate at Serranos Restaurant in East Glacier, which was really good Mexican food.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm not sure what your previous National Park experience is - but Glacier has a lot less "touristy" things to do than a Yellowstone or RMNP. A lot of it is backcountry, and as mentioned above the hikes off the main road are busy and fill up quickly in the summer.

When we went my wife's aunt who lives in Whitefish acted as tour guide for us, which was awesome. We only spent 2 days in the park though. We did the Avalanche lake hike and Lake MacDonald the first day, then went over the pass and and spent most of the second day on the east side of the park. A boat ride on Two Medicine Lake was really neat, and then we ate at Serranos Restaurant in East Glacier, which was really good Mexican food.
The crew I go with usually spends a week every summer in Estes Park. This year we are trekking out Glacier. Any hikes that somewhat parallels to anything in RMNP would be awesome. I have done probably 70% of RMNP that you can get to without technical gear.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://flatheadbeacon.com/2019/06/...-launches-new-page-provide-real-time-updates/

Not sure if you have seen this website, but it might be useful.

The park’s new Recreation Access Display (RAD) is designed to help ease the pressure of these summer crowds, giving visitors real-time updates on the status of parking lots, campgrounds and roads on its convenient web interface.

RAD expands on services the park already provide to give insight on park conditions, including live webcams and the Current Conditions page of their website. Webcams offer visitors an on-the-ground visual of the park. The Current Conditions page also has links to snowplow updates, trail status reports, current road status and camping status.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
@merx has great advice. We stayed in Whitefish so my recommendations are centered there. The zip lining at Whitefish Mountain was pretty awesome. Bonsai had the best beer in area. Glacier Distillery was bueno. Try huckleberry everything. If you do one hike, make it to Avalanche Lake - maybe the most beautiful place I've ever been. I'd also recommend the drive to Waterton Lakes and try the poutine at Zum's.

How on earth did I forget the huckleberrys?? Ice cream, jam, et al. It's really fantastic.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://flatheadbeacon.com/2019/06/22/going-sun-road-open-sunday/

The wait is over.

Glacier National Park officials announced late Saturday that all 50 miles of the Going-to-the-Sun Road would open to vehicle traffic on Sunday morning.

Locals and visitors alike had been waiting for the news of when the iconic mountain highway would open. Earlier this year, the park announced that June 22 would be the earliest day the entire road would open due to ongoing roadwork. But late Friday night park officials announced that visitors would have to wait at least one more day to access Logan Pass due to snow and freezing rain in the park.

Biker access on the Sun Road is now limited. Bicycles are prohibited between the Apgar turnoff near the Apgar Picnic Area and Sprague Creek Campground from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Bicycles are prohibited eastbound (uphill) between Logan Creek and Logan Pass from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The park’s fare-free summer shuttle system will begin operating on July 1, and will run from approximately 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://ktvq.com/news/montana-news/...r-with-grizzly-bear-in-glacier-national-park/

Joshua Wade Covill posted on Facebook his two shots of a young grizzly bear trailing a man on the Hidden Lake Trail on Tuesday, June 25.

Covill wrote that he was taking pictures of the bear when he suddenly noticed the man.

“When he turned around, they both jumped backwards and the bear ran off downhill! The guy finished his hike, but I’m guessing he needed some clean shorts!” Covill wrote.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What are you to do if you see a bear out there on a trail other than show them a picture of Adam Woodbury?

But seriously, what do they tell you to do?

Bear spray has been known to be more effective than guns...kinda makes sense. Scarier than a bear is an angry bear that just got shot in the leg. I think traveling in groups helps too.

Any encounters I've had with black bears, yelling seemed to work.

*bear spray is NOT bear repellent. I've heard of things where people sprayed their tents and children down with the stuff. Idiots.

• Funny
Reactions: The_Architect

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Been to 15 National Parks and Glacier is my clear cut favorite. Fell in love with the place when we went there 3 years ago and really hope to make a return. Perfect mix of accessibility without making the park feel touristy. The scenery and wildlife there is breathtaking to say the least.

Hikes I would recommend would be the Highline Trail, Iceberg Lake and The Loop/Garden Wall. Some hikes can get busy so be prepared to go early or change plans if needed. AllTrails is an excellent app to use for scoping out hiking trails ahead of time, not just at National Parks but anywhere you may be traveling. I'm jealous, hope you have a great time there!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Thanks for all the info. Got back at 8 this morning after driving through the night. Took 12 hours just to get out of Montana.

That place is ridiculously big, beautiful, and surreal all in one. It doesn’t even look like real life. It’s like a scene from avatar or something. I didn’t even get over to many glacier or two medicine. It’s not something that can be done in a week. Especially with crowds, traffic and construction. Would have thoughts on navigating that for anyone interested.

I did see a grizzly on the high line trail about 7AM. The big bastard was just walking right down the trail. I jumped in the trees we could find with a group and started singing. Worked and he veered off. Hell of an experience. The son of a ***** was 10 yards from me at its closest point. Wasn’t even a full grown one.

Lake McDonald has got to be the coolest lake in the US or one of them. Huckleberries r good but somewhat overrated. The people out there are great and they love their football. Had more convos with locals about uni football than the clones because of U of Montana.

All in all amazing place.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Thanks for all the info. Got back at 8 this morning after driving through the night. Took 12 hours just to get out of Montana.

That place is ridiculously big, beautiful, and surreal all in one. It doesn’t even look like real life. It’s like a scene from avatar or something. I didn’t even get over to many glacier or two medicine. It’s not something that can be done in a week. Especially with crowds, traffic and construction. Would have thoughts on navigating that for anyone interested.

All in all amazing place.
From where I live it is 12 hours to Montana and 12 hours then another 12 hours to my home in Iowa. Did you drive all interstate in Montana. Or did you take the 212 "shortcut"? Going up the east side of Flathead Lake instead of the west and the 212 shortcut through Broadus are both very scenic and the 212 is very different , American Bison type country.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
From where I live it is 12 hours to Montana and 12 hours then another 12 hours to my home in Iowa. Did you drive all interstate in Montana. Or did you take the 212 "shortcut"? Going up the east side of Flathead Lake instead of the west and the 212 shortcut through Broadus are both very scenic and the 212 is very different , American Bison type country.
Went up the east side both times. I think on the way there we hugged the lake but I was asleep from driving through the night. On the way back I think we took a route slightly further east through whatever national forest that is.